Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Fridge isn't working

Well...it's our first night out in our new 355 BHQS. the fridge turns on.....freezer works....but the fridge isn't cooling. Any ideas?? I'm new to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
myates3158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

Check to make sure air is flowing (or can move from the freezer area to the fridge. This is how the lower half is cooled by the natural physics of cold air drops.

genxrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

What would block the air? Everything looks the same as when we did the walk through.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Do you have a residential fridge or an absorption unit?

Residential units duct air to the refrigerator compartment, absorption have no direct air circulating system.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Any items that could be in the very back part of the fridge or freezer. I know it takes several hours for the fridge section to cool and even longer if your food or drinks are warm.

genxrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

May want to check and make sure all of the foam and such was removed from the fridge, especially if it's new. Like others have said, the way most house fridges cool is the movement of air from the freezer to the refrigerator part. In some cases, theirs a temperature switch that opens a duct, allowing the cool air to fall into the refrigerator part. If that duct is blocked or taped shut, then the fridge won't cool.

Look for tape or foam blocking a duct at the top of the refrigerator.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by justman View Post
May want to check and make sure all of the foam and such was removed from the fridge, especially if it's new. Like others have said, the way most house fridges cool is the movement of air from the freezer to the refrigerator part. In some cases, theirs a temperature switch that opens a duct, allowing the cool air to fall into the refrigerator part. If that duct is blocked or taped shut, then the fridge won't cool.

Look for tape or foam blocking a duct at the top of the refrigerator.

I'm almost positive this isn't the residential fridge. Here is a pic. The freezer is cooling super fast. The fridge is still hot.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by myates3158 View Post
I'm almost positive this isn't the residential fridge. Here is a pic. The freezer is cooling super fast. The fridge is still hot.
No picture was attached.

If it says Norcold or Dometic, it is an RV absorption unit. They can take at least 6-8 hours to come down in temperature, that is provided it isn't loaded with warm food. If it is indeed an absorption unit, are you fairly level? And what outside temperature are you experiencing? These units tend to be less effective when you have high ambient temperatures.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #9

We still have some tweaking to do on this site. It's been on for a few hrs and still hot. As for level. We have the auto leveler. This site does slant and the right wheels are off the ground. This will be adjusted tomorrow.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #10

It doesn't have to be perfectly level, if you can walk around without holding on you are probably within refrigerator operating limits.

My Norcold takes 8 hours or so to cool in the refrigerator section empty, especially if it is over 80 degrees outside. Longer if it has food inside. It also tends to cool faster when on LP (propane) compared to electric. Electric usually is fine once down to temperature, but many users experience better (faster) cooling on gas.

Compressor-style refrigerators (residential) tend to cool down much more quickly, many love them in their RV's. Others who dry camp frequently need to sometimes take extra steps to make sure they have a reliable way to keep the refrigerator under power when not plugged in to a campground power post.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #11

Good deal. No holding on needed. I am a little concerned about the wheels off the ground

As for the fridge. I'm hopefully not giving it enough time to cool. I really appreciate you taking the time to lend a hand. Will let you know in the morning how it goes. Thank you!!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #12

I've been in plenty of spots where my levelers also lifted tire(s). I don't like it either, and if I can't re-position on the site I will use my good old stacking leveling blocks under the tires to at least put some weight back on the wheels.

I hope time helps your fridge, some users will even buy a block of dry ice to put in their fridge to cool things off quickly if they can't pre-cool their unit. I have a friend that does that regularly since his driveway is so sloped he can't run the fridge at home before he starts out. No mess inside when the dry ice is gone.

Just have to be careful handling it! And put it on a rack, not directly on the plastic bottom or on a glass shelf. Can make them brittle due to the extremely cold temperature of the solid CO2.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:04 AM   #13

Mine is not working either. Service guy looked at it and thinks it has to come out because of a leak. Going to shop August 5th
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I've been in plenty of spots where my levelers also lifted tire(s). I don't like it either, and if I can't re-position on the site I will use my good old stacking leveling blocks under the tires to at least put some weight back on the wheels.

I hope time helps your fridge, some users will even buy a block of dry ice to put in their fridge to cool things off quickly if they can't pre-cool their unit. I have a friend that does that regularly since his driveway is so sloped he can't run the fridge at home before he starts out. No mess inside when the dry ice is gone.

Just have to be careful handling it! And put it on a rack, not directly on the plastic bottom or on a glass shelf. Can make them brittle due to the extremely cold temperature of the solid CO2.

Well....it looks like the fridge is working!! I will be more patient next time. Our other TT had a fridge that would cool super fast. Thanks for all your wise words and help. I really appreciate it.