Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #1

Have you ever noticed?

Over the many years of my camping career, I’ve witnessed many motorhomes roll into a campground. Historically it has been my observation that if one is watching at the right time, one will see the individual exit the motorhome, hook-up the utilities then disappear into the motorhome to never be seen until time to disconnect.

One of the many reasons I camp is to visit with the other campers. Campers are great people and I find it so interesting to hear of their adventures, experiences, sites, life stories, and mishaps they have had while camping.

I just returned Sunday from a five night stay at a nearby campground. I met people from Wisconsin, Ohio, Nebraska, Canada, as well as those from my home state. All were friendly people eager to tell their story. What a joy it was to visit with them.

The day I arrived at the campground, two motorhomes also arrived. As they rolled in, I said to my granddaughter, “Watch you will not see those people out of the coach”. Both MH campers hooked up and disappeared back into their motorhome. (Actually, I never saw a human at one of the MHs. I don’t think anyone was driving it)

Look at all they missed by not venturing out of their motorhome. They did not site-see. They did not fish. They did not leave the campsite. They did not even sit outside early in the am drinking coffee and watch the deer as I did. I wonder what they tell their friends about the week on Monday when they return from the trip. “Gosh what good time I had this week. I took the motorhome to such-in-such state park. I didn’t speak to a sole, didn’t see any sites, didn’t get out of the MH, just sat in the recliner and watched TV!”

Don’t get me wrong, to each his own. We all camp for our own reasons. This is not a scientific study, just my observation.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Team

I agree, campers are a slice of humanity. You see all kinds!

I'm camped next to a big fifth wheel. Only one person inside and only comes out twice a day to walk the dog then right back inside.

We are all aware that MH owners are a cut above us regular campers. LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #3

Shorty... You are so correct in what you say. I've seen that many of times also.

Being a MH owner now, we had a FW prior to this summer, we still spend more time outside than inside. Besides the area that you visit, the people you meet either are enjoyable to talk with or their fun watching. We've met folks from all walks of life but the one common bond has been the enjoyment of the outdoors.

Our take is if all your going to do is stay in the confines of your MH, you could just as well stay in your driveway and do the same thing.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #4

I noticed that too. We were camping a few months ago and an older couple in a high dollar class A parked next to us, hooked up, went inside and stayed in their unit most of the day. They left the privacy curtain open and I could see they were watching an MLB game most of the evening on a TV that seemed to take up the entire back wall of the coach.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

We spend what I would consider "a lot" of time inside our trailer. But that's mostly if the weather is non-conducive to being outside. It gets REALLY hot here, so sometimes we only come out of the trailer early in the morning, and late in the evening. The rest of the time, we're hunkered down trying to stay cool. If the weather's nice, we'll cook and eat outside almost every meal. And we always make it a point to walk around some, even if the weather is miserable. We generally keep to ourselves though, so some might consider us a little less social; we'll always talk to people, but we won't generally start the conversation...

Everyone has their own way I guess.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Site Team

We have two dogs that have to be walked regularly. We meet more people walking them than any other way!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 10-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #7

I have to grin at this post because it is so true.. We were out a couple of weeks ago and the CG we were at seemed to have a high % of very high end motor homes.. I'd say 90% of them you never saw a single person.. IF they even had anything outside it was 2 chairs and maybe a small grill.. Other than that... nothing.....

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
Site Team

I have noticed they do like to sit outside and watch tv at night though!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We have two dogs that have to be walked regularly. We meet more people walking them than any other way!

You learn more dogs names than people [emoji4]
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #10

Our last trip, I took the dog out to do his business. Let me tell ya, he's not a fan of cold weather. Took him out and he just looked at me like, "You've got to kidding me if you think we're just gonna walk around this campground!" Lifted his leg..squatted next to the camper then walked over to the door and looked at me! Left me outside to pick it up..didn't even wait for daddy. LOL
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

I only see this senario at CG's with hookups. We camp at mostly dry campgrounds. They may have water spigots scattered throughout but no elec. Very rarely ever see that scenario. Every year we camp at the Metolious area in Oregon and the same older couple shows up in their Marathon MH. We're talking 1.5 million and up for those. We see them out and about all the time along with all the other campers there. Might have to do with the surroundings too. It's very scenic their as opposed to parking lot style RV parks.

During the spring and fall when the weather is not as nice out we tend to go to CG's with elec/water hookups. I see that scenario more often.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #12

Interesting post and something we picked on way back in the days we were still tenting. We're outdoor people. We still spend most of our time outdoors. The camp site itself is our living room, the fire pit our kitchen.

That said, every trip we see at least one large rig pull in, put out a couple of chairs, and even buy fire wood. They never use the chairs, or burn a stick of wood. The last one we saw left $25 worth of wood when they pulled out. If I wasn't leaving the same day that would have been a free fire night for us!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #13

That's a big 10 4 !!!!!! Finally, very well said. Park, go inside n hide.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #14

Having worked at campgrounds for a number of years, I can attest that the more expensive the rig, the less the folks will be outside. I don't understand it either...why bother "camping" when all your doing is parking...perhaps they like the idea of telling folks how many states or parks they have visited... even if they never really much more than just drive through. Sad at what they are missing, by not being involved in living life.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #15

Maybe....just maybe, they stay inside because everyone is watching then posting their every movement, or lack of movement, on the internet.

We all do things for different reasons, and the inference here is if you don't immediately become the campground social butterfly that somehow makes you not a camper.

Who cares. Sorry not enough coffee yet......
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #16

It's probably the amenities inside. At the last local RV show, we were touring through a large 5th. It had a HUGE big screen TV and 4 of those theatre style recliners right in front (and not much else). DW said something to the effect of "This is nuts!" to which another lady beside us said "isn't it! We just bought it!"

We had a VERY hard time supressing the snickering until we could get out of earshot. That is one camp site that I am sure never sees a camp fire, and the only nature viewing is in 1080p HD.

Some people are so unclear on the concepts...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote