Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Question New 5th Wheel

Hello All,

My husband and I are currently in the market for a 5th Wheel. We really are torn between the 26.5BHS and the 29.5FBDS. The problem is that we are in Texas. The closest location, Bossier City, LA only has the 26.5 (my husband's favorite) and Pooler, GA has my favorite 29.5FBDS.

We previously owned a Fleetwood Southwind. We enjoyed being able to travel inside the camper, but did not like the limited mobility we had once at a specific location. We opted not to tow a vehicle. I like the thought of having my home and vehicle where ever we go. We have a 4 year old and 11 year old still at home. We traveled a lot with our older children and can't wait to share the RVing experience with the younger ones.

We are new to the 5th wheel market, but I have done tons of research on affordable 5th wheel bunkhouses. Given the quality and price point, we decided upon the Jayco Eagle HT.

I would greatly appreciate any input regarding your experiences. We are considering doing some long term RVing during the summer months and weekend excursions during the winter months. We have purchased a Chevy Silverado 3500 to tow the camper.

Thanks!!!!
familyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and happy trailer shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

Two things I'd consider that I did not in my last purchase:
1) our sink, bathroom and double bunk entrance is all at one end of the trailer. It makes it very cumbersome at night trying to take baths, brush teeth and get the kids in bed. More so after a long day of being outside and everyone is tired. It just takes longer and gives more opportunity for tempers to flare (stop touching me, move, can i get through, etc).
2) Now that our kids are getting older, it would be better suited to have someplace to larger to get dressed/change. The bathroom is ok, but other than that its in our small 'master bedroom' . Having privacy/a room they can go to where you can actually turn around and bend over without rubbing on a wall would be nice. The 295fbds looks like it has a good room for it.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #4

I have the 26.5RLS. But one thing that is the same between the two models is the master BR. These units have a funny two level area at the foot of the bed. It's like two steps that run all the way across the room. When you first look at it - it doesn't look like a problem. Live it in a while and you'll discover:
1) You can't stand on upper step and stand up straight without hitting your head if you are over about 5.5.
2) Neither step is really wide enough to stand comfortably or maneuver to get dressed.

We are empty nesters and I've learned to get around this problem by taking my clothes to either the bath or the main living area to dress. BUT this also implies that we completely close all window blinds before going to bed.

This is one of those things you don't realize until you actually "live" in the unit for a while. I mention it because having a private place to dress was mentioned above.

I assume most slightly longer don't have this issue. It bugs me so much I was seriously considering trying to re-engineer things -till I looked and found a main part of the steel frame is the cause of that extra narrow step.

That said - this is the ONLY thing I don't like about my 26.5 - every other single thing is perfect for our needs. I especially like how easy it is to tow - and the fact that at 30ft, I can get into more national and federal parks that have length limits.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:41 AM   #5

Welcome to JOF.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #6

We bought our 5th from a dealer in the Dallas area, price was good but I can't recommend them for service. There is a dealer around Beaumont and in College Station I think. I visited the Houston dealer a couple of times but didn't get a good feeling from them.
Good hunting!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

We also have a 26.5 RLS and I think that Buddy Ray overstates the problem with the bedroom height. I am around 5'9" and have no problem with standing straight up at the end of the bed. However, when moving to the head, the clearance gets a bit less so that when you are at the head, most people will have to bend over a bit to get into the shirts closets on each side of the bed. As far a getting dressed, it's kinda tight, but going to the foot of the bed and standing in the corner allows most people enough room to get dressed and do it standing up. We have done this for five years and it's not a real big problem if you don't allow it to be.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I visited the Houston dealer a couple of times but didn't get a good feeling from them.
Good hunting!
I am in SE Houston. We checked out Holiday World and Camping World, but neither had what we were looking for. After much research, we are convinced that we want a Jayco Eagle. We have found a really good dealer in Louisiana. I am apprehensive about buying a major purchase sight unseen. It is hard to get a since of the size in videos and on pictures.

You all are being very helpful.
familyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #9

We also were considering these trailers. Here are a couple of links for input we received from forum members, who were very helpful.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...dom-41117.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...ice-41954.html

Nice that you have a 3500. You won't need to be concerned about payload with any of these fifth wheels.

We drove 4 hours each way for a weekend trip to see the 29.5FBDS and 26.5BHS before buying. I think it is important to see them in person. We then mulled it for several weeks before deciding on the 29.5FBDS. We were able to make the final arrangements by email and phone, then did the trip again to pick it up.

We are very happy with the 29.5FBDS so far.

Good luck with your research. Have fun!
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #10

Hi FF and welcome to the forum. The wife and I recently purchased a 2017 27.5 RLTS and absolutely love it. The issue of getting dressed is easily solved as we have access to the bathroom from the bedroom and hallway, if you need that privacy. Our children are grown and we are empty nesters as well. Friends of ours have a 2015 29.5 BH** as they still have children that camp with them.Theirs has two bathroom areas. They also have an outdoor kitchen area that is pretty neat.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfun View Post
I am in SE Houston. We checked out Holiday World and Camping World, but neither had what we were looking for. After much research, we are convinced that we want a Jayco Eagle. We have found a really good dealer in Louisiana. I am apprehensive about buying a major purchase sight unseen. It is hard to get a since of the size in videos and on pictures.

You all are being very helpful.
We looked at brochures till we were silly, narrowing it down to 2 units and then started looking for a dealer that had what we wanted. That's where Dallas came in. We took a weekend trip to look them over, made a decision and the deal. We returned about 4 weeks later to pick up our new 5th. We bought the first TT (X23B) sight unseen from RV Direct, picking it up in Orlando. That turned out well but before picking the 5er I wanted to touch one first.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 12-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #12

We drove from Atlanta to Chattanooga (couple of hours) to look at some other brands but had no problem finding Jayco in stock around Atlanta. But then we are the gateway to the south :-).

I also wasn't going to buy just based on brochures. But honestly, even after looking at them extensively in person, I still noticed, discovered and realized things by living in our rig that I never saw while checking it out.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 12-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #13

With a new 3500 to haul this jewel, don't see why you are getting a H/T towable. You could look at some other models a little heavier and with a lot more floor plans.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #14

Congrats on your Jayco!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #15

Namusmc65,
It's not always about having more inside space. For me it was about gas mileage, the cost if the trailer and the ability to get into smaller campsites and government campgrounds with length limits.
We like to travel - as in from Atlanta to Alaska and back next year. I don't care what I'm towing with, I don't want to haul a huge rig all that distance.
YMMV

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 12-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Namusmc65,
It's not always about having more inside space. For me it was about gas mileage, the cost if the trailer and the ability to get into smaller campsites and government campgrounds with length limits.
We like to travel - as in from Atlanta to Alaska and back next year. I don't care what I'm towing with, I don't want to haul a huge rig all that distance.
YMMV

Buddy Ray - Atlanta ...snip
X2

We have a F-350. We ordered our 30' TT with a floorplan and options that suit us perfectly.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #17

BuddyRay makes several excellent points. I love the smaller size, meaning I have a larger range of options in state and national campgrounds - the longer you are , the harder to find places you can fit. We bought our 26.5RLS with the optional recliners. We found that you have to be very scientific to get them in their correct places before closing the side. And they are hard to muscle around. You have to really suck it in to squeeze by them if you want to get a beverage out of the fridge at a road stop.
We also have the optional table and chairs, and again found that the room is just a bit tight for comfortable sitting at the table. There are only the two of us - it would be more interesting with two mid-size kids also at the table for a meal.
It really is a great size for a 2 person (and 2 dog) household. But it could get kind of crowded for four.
If the places you go can easily fit a bigger one, and your truck can carry the weight, then bigger is better. But as noted that creates its own challenges. Overall, we really, really like ours, and the things noted a small in comparison to the fun we get using it.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I have the 26.5RLS. But one thing that is the same between the two models is the master BR. These units have a funny two level area at the foot of the bed. It's like two steps that run all the way across the room. When you first look at it - it doesn't look like a problem. Live it in a while and you'll discover:
1) You can't stand on upper step and stand up straight without hitting your head if you are over about 5.5.
2) Neither step is really wide enough to stand comfortably or maneuver to get dressed.

We are empty nesters and I've learned to get around this problem by taking my clothes to either the bath or the main living area to dress. BUT this also implies that we completely close all window blinds before going to bed.

This is one of those things you don't realize until you actually "live" in the unit for a while. I mention it because having a private place to dress was mentioned above.

I assume most slightly longer don't have this issue. It bugs me so much I was seriously considering trying to re-engineer things -till I looked and found a main part of the steel frame is the cause of that extra narrow step.

That said - this is the ONLY thing I don't like about my 26.5 - every other single thing is perfect for our needs. I especially like how easy it is to tow - and the fact that at 30ft, I can get into more national and federal parks that have length limits.
Buddy Ray I think the OP said they like the 29.5FBDS which has the master bedroom at the rear of the trailer. And the bed is in a slide, I don't think there is a head room issue in the master bedroom in that floorplan. I have the 29.5BHDS which has the same bedroom that your thinking of and I would agree, with the head room issue at the front of the bed.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #19

Try Affinity RV in Prescott AZ we got 35% off MSRP on a 2016 Eagle in Sept 2015.Happy Trails
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Try Affinity RV in Prescott AZ we got 35% off MSRP on a 2016 Eagle in Sept 2015.Happy Trails
Prescott is abt 1200 mi one way from Houston. A bit of a drive to just "look".

-SOLD- 2012 X23B