Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

New 5th wheel "chucking"

Just bought a brand new Jayco 5er and we love the new layout over our last 31' bumper pull. The part we don't like is the severe "chucking" motion felt over bumps or dips in the road. I've done a lot of research on this and have found that it is very common and that it is pretty much a process of elimination when it comes to a remedy. Seems that there is no simple solution. Like everyone else, we have a huge investment in our new rig and are now faced with spending even more. If I knew about this condition ahead of time, I probably would have stuck with a bumper pull.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

One possibility might be that, somehow or other, the pin weight has been reduced thereby causing the front of the FW to "jump" up and down over bumps thereby causing the chucking. Maybe you have loaded a bit more in the rear of the FW than the manufacturer expected when they built the FW. Don't give up on it, I'll bet there is a pretty easy fix, in the long run.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #3

MORryde pin box will fix most of that. Are you still running the stock box?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
MORryde pin box will fix most of that. Are you still running the stock box?
x2 or 5th Airborne. You will not eliminate it all, but it's 90% less with a cushioned pin.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Yeah, the pin box helps a lot, also, what hitch are you using?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #6

Chucking 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
Just bought a brand new Jayco 5er and we love the new layout over our last 31' bumper pull. The part we don't like is the severe "chucking" motion felt over bumps or dips in the road. I've done a lot of research on this and have found that it is very common and that it is pretty much a process of elimination when it comes to a remedy. Seems that there is no simple solution. Like everyone else, we have a huge investment in our new rig and are now faced with spending even more. If I knew about this condition ahead of time, I probably would have stuck with a bumper pull.
In are 2006 Dodge dully we added rear air bags by Firestone in 2006. Our pin weight is about a ton. We very seldom add more than 15 lbs of air to the bags. Helped a lot they are pretty much maintenance free.
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

Is there an adjustment bolt on the hitch?

Ours had a bolt in the middle on the cab-side... loosen it to make un-hitching easier, tighten it after hitching up to stop the chucking when driving.

The other noisy spot on our setup was between the hitch and the bed-rails. We put squares of spongy shelf liner between the hitch and the rails (just around where the joint tabs are), before putting the hitch in the truck, and that cut that noise out completely.

It's a process, but I think you'll really enjoy the stability of towing the 5er!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
I probably would have stuck with a bumper pull.
Yea, but once you get the "chucking" taken care of it will be a much better pull. Less sway (if any at all), easier to hook up, more storage space, etc, etc.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #9

We got the MorRyde pin box as a factory option and put a Pullrite Super 5th 20K hitch in the truck. Tows very smoothly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle HT 1-44.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	30219
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pullrite 2100.png
Views:	32
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	30218

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #10

Ditto on the Morryde pin box. Old fifth had a standard box, or new one has a Morryde. Significant difference!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #11

As others have said the Moreride Pi box will help a lot with this. In addition you need at least 20% of the weight on the pin. When you scale it out if your not at 20% then u need to adjust your load a little. The proper pin weight will solve 75% of this problem, the Moreride pin box will solve another 15%, the last 10% you have to fine smooth roads or live with it.

Royal Canadian Air Force - Ret
2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
jwmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #12

Ok, to answer a few questions: Yes, it's the stock pin box. The hitch I'm using is a Andersen Ultimate hitch with upper ball adapter. The TV is a 2013 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax, which seems to have all the power (and more) needed to pull this rig. By reading all the specs on the truck and trailer, it falls way within the weight specs for the truck.
You guys might be on to something with the weight. I noticed that the ride home was better than the ride there. The difference was that the FW tank (located behind the trailer axles was down about a 1/3 tank. Also the black and grey tanks (forward of the axles) hadn't been dumped yet but only had maybe 8 gal each. Anyway the pin weight was definitely more coming home and it actually seemed to ride a little better. My DW disagrees with this but I thought it was smoother. My next step will be to empty the FW tank, put some ballast forward of the axle and test drive it. I'm also willing to invest in a new pin box. I'm going to look at MORryde, 5th Aiborne, and TrailAir.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
I'm going to look at MORryde, 5th Aiborne, and TrailAir.
Just don't lose sight of the fact that you are pulling a heavy trailer. It should pull nicely, but don't let your expectations reach Cadillac levels. You're always going to have some type of feeling from it. Trick is to get it tolerable. I'd suggest playing with the loading and the tank levels until you get more used to pulling it.

Some roads will make a fifth wheel ride like garbage, guessing it is something with the joint spacing and the harmonics.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #14

High quality shocks are a must. Ditch the OEM shocks on your truck. OEM shocks aren't much to talk about and are normally bad by 20k. I Prefer Bilstein shocks.

A shock absorbing pin box is another must. I wouldn't own a 5th wheel without one.

Make sure your trailer is loaded correctly. You want plenty of weight on the pin as others have said. Make sure your tires are at the proper pressure for the load.

I would never go back to a bumper pull RV. Soon to take delivery of my 3rd 5th wheel.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
High quality shocks are a must. Ditch the OEM shocks on your truck. OEM shocks aren't much to talk about and are normally bad by 20k. I Prefer Bilstein shocks.

A shock absorbing pin box is another must. I wouldn't own a 5th wheel without one.

Make sure your trailer is loaded correctly. You want plenty of weight on the pin as others have said. Make sure your tires are at the proper pressure for the load.

I would never go back to a bumper pull RV. Soon to take delivery of my 3rd 5th wheel.

Earl
Everything he just said, I'd never go back either. I too have bilstien shocks and was a huge improvement over oem, but if ya got a little more money, go ahead and the fox 2.0s. I have pretty much no chucking with my combo, truck is an 06 6.0 psd CCLB, has b&w companion and firestone air bags, trailer has the moryde pin box, and cre3000 suspension with 16"wheels and maxxis tires

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #16

I put this on my hitch and it really works. I copied the description and pasted it here for you to read.
Description:
Thank you for your interest in this New 5th wheel grip slip product which stops the clunk from the King pin sliding on receiving plate and hitting locking ring. Grip Slip will reduce king pin hitch damage, improve towing experience, and extend hitch life. Package includes two piece kit for single hitch application for right and left side of hitch receiving plate/saddle. Lube plate not required. See video link below for Demo:

Hopes this helps you.
Chris
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb-24 View Post
I put this on my hitch and it really works. I copied the description and pasted it here for you to read.
Description:
Thank you for your interest in this New 5th wheel grip slip product which stops the clunk from the King pin sliding on receiving plate and hitting locking ring. Grip Slip will reduce king pin hitch damage, improve towing experience, and extend hitch life. Package includes two piece kit for single hitch application for right and left side of hitch receiving plate/saddle. Lube plate not required. See video link below for Demo:

Hopes this helps you.
Chris
Wouldn't help for chucking though.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Ok, to answer a few questions: Yes, it's the stock pin box. The hitch I'm using is a Andersen Ultimate hitch with upper ball adapter. The TV is a 2013 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax, which seems to have all the power (and more) needed to pull this rig. By reading all the specs on the truck and trailer, it falls way within the weight specs for the truck.
You guys might be on to something with the weight. I noticed that the ride home was better than the ride there. The difference was that the FW tank (located behind the trailer axles was down about a 1/3 tank. Also the black and grey tanks (forward of the axles) hadn't been dumped yet but only had maybe 8 gal each. Anyway the pin weight was definitely more coming home and it actually seemed to ride a little better. My DW disagrees with this but I thought it was smoother. My next step will be to empty the FW tank, put some ballast forward of the axle and test drive it. I'm also willing to invest in a new pin box. I'm going to look at MORryde, 5th Aiborne, and TrailAir.

Andersen recommends not using any kind of a cushioned pin box with their Ultimate 5th wheel connection.

The easiest solution is to just alter your speed. Most of the chucking occurs on concrete highways when the suspension gets in a rhythm with the joints in the highway. Slowing down about 5 mph might make a world of difference.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
We got the MorRyde pin box as a factory option and put a Pullrite Super 5th 20K hitch in the truck. Tows very smoothly.
Attachment 30219
Attachment 30218
And FWIW, one of the bigger reasons I chose the Pullrite hitch was because of the design of the latch. It is a 'rack & pinion' design that wraps around the king pin. Others have a 'clam-shell' style latch or even just a sliding bar that keeps the pin from coming out of the hitch, but little to keep it from rattling around in the hitch. From my time as a parts department guy in a RV dealer I saw several different types up close. For me, the Pullrite was the one that stood out from the crowd.

Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Andersen recommends not using any kind of a cushioned pin box with their Ultimate 5th wheel connection.

The easiest solution is to just alter your speed. Most of the chucking occurs on concrete highways when the suspension gets in a rhythm with the joints in the highway. Slowing down about 5 mph might make a world of difference.
Really? Then why are they shown mounting one using a MoRyde pin box?
Scroll down to the video with the Ford truck.

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Cata...onnection.aspx
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote