Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kennewick
Posts: 218
I am towing with a short bed. 40' 5er
__________________

__________________
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
Mor-ride pin box
SuperSprings
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:54 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
kreid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
I am towing with a short bed. 40' 5er
What kind of rig do you have?
__________________

kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kennewick
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreid View Post
What kind of rig do you have?
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
__________________
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
Mor-ride pin box
SuperSprings
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #64
Junior Member
 
econotrans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: wilmington
Posts: 2
Towing a 351 RSTS with 2015 Denali 3500 single wheel no problems
econotrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
cariboocreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Just outside Calgary
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreid View Post
Good to know there are people with common sense out there. When I see guys in dually or SRW towing 5ers at 70 + because they can I just shake my head,they're 1 mistake, 1 bad decision away from killing somebody. It ain't worth it to me. Plus I don't think there's a trailer tire out there rated over 65mph other than the g614 and trust me,as a previous service advisor at one of the largest camper dealerships on the east coast, I made a ton of money off of those tires exceeding 65mph. When they blow they take out the floor,gas lines,electrical,siding, j-metal, and have even seen them cause the other tires to blow.
I run the Goodyear G114 17.5 inch rated at 75 mph at 4540lbs. There are other tires out there as well that are speed rated above 65. I regularly set cruise at 70. The difference in braking or other handling issues between 65 and/or 70 is not going to make a significant difference.

Running a G614 or even worse, some crappy Chinese tire, at the speed limit but at max weight for the tire is more dangerous than my running down the road at 5 mph under the tire rating and a thousand pounds under its weight rating.

I also leave my propane on for my fridge.....
__________________
2013 Ram Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel, Aisin Transmission.
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 351 RSTS, Mor/Ryde Suspension and Pin Box, 17.5" wheel upgrade, 18k Pull Rite hitch.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
kreid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
I run the Goodyear G114 17.5 inch rated at 75 mph at 4540lbs. There are other tires out there as well that are speed rated above 65. I regularly set cruise at 70. The difference in braking or other handling issues between 65 and/or 70 is not going to make a significant difference.

Running a G614 or even worse, some crappy Chinese tire, at the speed limit but at max weight for the tire is more dangerous than my running down the road at 5 mph under the tire rating and a thousand pounds under its weight rating.

I also leave my propane on for my fridge.....
I guess since you have the answer, at least regarding tires, maybe you could see what your axles and bearings are rated for Speed Wise! Don't think I've seen any axle Dexter makes rated for more than 65 miles per hour.
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
kreid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 126
That being said, I'm not a mathematician but I'm sure somebody on here could probably do the math and see what going from a 16 inch wheel to a 17 and a half inch wheel does in terms of bearing rotation. Excessive speed,excessive RPM, equals to excessive Heat. Excessive Heat expands to the Wheel and Tire.
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
cariboocreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Just outside Calgary
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreid View Post
I guess since you have the answer, at least regarding tires, maybe you could see what your axles and bearings are rated for Speed Wise! Don't think I've seen any axle Dexter makes rated for more than 65 miles per hour.
Dexter axles are rated for weight not speed. Hubs are also rated for weight. Dexter does not publish speed ratings but emphasizes weight and a weight distribution. My unit has a little over 12k on the axles when hitched up. Approximately 2k under max weight for the axles and almost 5k under the max weight for the combined tires or a little under 1500 lbs per tire.
__________________
2013 Ram Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel, Aisin Transmission.
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 351 RSTS, Mor/Ryde Suspension and Pin Box, 17.5" wheel upgrade, 18k Pull Rite hitch.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
cariboocreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Just outside Calgary
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreid View Post
That being said, I'm not a mathematician but I'm sure somebody on here could probably do the math and see what going from a 16 inch wheel to a 17 and a half inch wheel does in terms of bearing rotation. Excessive speed,excessive RPM, equals to excessive Heat. Excessive Heat expands to the Wheel and Tire.
The difference between a 16" trailer tire and my 17.5" in terms of rotational speeds is insignificant.
__________________
2013 Ram Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel, Aisin Transmission.
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 351 RSTS, Mor/Ryde Suspension and Pin Box, 17.5" wheel upgrade, 18k Pull Rite hitch.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Way down here........FL
Posts: 809
Bed length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Is there a term for the middle length (6.5') beds if they aren't technically short beds?

I honestly thought anything < 8' was considered a short bed.
As far as I know...... you are CORRECT!!
__________________

jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.