Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #1

Slide out not moving

We have a 2012 351 RLTS 5th wheel with 2 large slides in the kitchen/living room. Needed to retrieve something from the RV today. When I tried to open the slide opposite the stove/refrig only one end would move. The portion of the slide nearest the back of the camper moved in or out normally. The portion of the slide nearest the front of the camper did not move at all.

I was able to push the stuck portion out & them back by hand with little effort. Any ideas where to start?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

I would first get the camper level and then try it.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #3

Leveling would be my first move. If it's still not moving correctly then I'd suspect the mechanisms need cleaning and lubricating.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

The slide feels free - not bound - and I can easily push the end that is not moving by in and out by hand. It acts as if it is being driven on one end only. Just wanted to have an idea as to what to look for & where to look before I start cutting open the bottom. The camper is level.

I am thinking a sheared pin or something similar on that end. Just need some ideas first. It is and has been pouring rain here for the past week so I have some time to get advice before I attack it.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausknwa View Post
We have a 2012 351 RLTS 5th wheel with 2 large slides in the kitchen/living room. Needed to retrieve something from the RV today. When I tried to open the slide opposite the stove/refrig only one end would move. The portion of the slide nearest the back of the camper moved in or out normally. The portion of the slide nearest the front of the camper did not move at all.

I was able to push the stuck portion out & them back by hand with little effort. Any ideas where to start?
I have had the exact same problem on my rig on each rear slide. It's an easy fix. You have a broken bolt right where the slide motor connects to the drive mechanism, underneath the slide. It is a 1/4 20 1 1/4 in. long with a nylon lock nit. It is a case hardened bolt. Get a couple spares. While you have it apart, look at the bolt on the other side of the motor and make sure it is tight.

Drop the bottom by removing enough of the self tapping screws to pull it down and see the motor. Look closely at the motor and replace the broken bolt. It is a grade 8 bolt. There is much discussion whether it should be a hardened bolt, but that is what was there and I replaced it with the same type.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...m-21572-2.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

I clicked your link Norty1 and that's exactly what it acts like. Those are really big slides and probably a good idea to open both sides up and check for loose nuts - not excluding the owner. We have a lot of miles on the unit including 4 trips to central FL from upstate NY as well as a number of trips to VA and southern PA. That is a lot of bouncing down RT 81 & RT 95.
I would also feel better taking a peek at both sides so I know exactly how they work incase of a problem on the road. If it ever quits raining (3 inches last night), I will let you know how I make out. According to the weather report it may be Friday before I can get to it.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Site Team

Great, looking forward to hearing how it goes. We have the same rig and I can tell you, they are identical. Good idea to verify all those bolts are tight.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #8

If you replace the bolts, be sure to still replace with grade 8 bolts. Do not use a hardened bolt. Those bolts are used so they will be the weakest link and an easy, cheap fix. If you use hardened bolts, something else could break - gear, shaft, etc, instead of the bolt. Then you will have major and expensive problems if the slide ever binds or is somehow restricted. The grade 8 bolts were a deliberate engineering decision, IMO.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Site Team

BTW, when ours broke, we had success opening and closing by having two people working together, my wife would push the button and I would push on the slide to keep it even with the other side that was working normally.

Just a stop gap method to get it open or closed if you can't work on it at the time. We also made slide stops to wedge inside if we have to drive with it not working.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

It could be maybe the batteries are low. Those will take alot of DC POWER to operate. I have had to supplement my trailer battery a few time when out off the power grid by nosing my truck up to the trailer battery and using a jumper cable...

Just a thought

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #11
Site Team

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx

Grade 8 bolts are hardened. That is what was there and they were sheared. I don't thing the bolt failed on mine because they both looked like they were not fully tight. Hard to say.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausknwa View Post
. If it ever quits raining (3 inches last night), I will let you know how I make out. According to the weather report it may be Friday before I can get to it.
Oh this rain,I'm at my wife's summer place on the St Lawrence River and I have not been able to take her boat out to do some fishing. If not rain it's the wind and waves.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #13

Norty,
Wow, I remember that post! I see I even commented on it. Gettin old is a be-atch.
Our slides have a "hatch" cut in the belly for easier access to the motor.
Note that a slide's motor is on the side OPPOSITE the slide.

While on this topic: is there a hole in the frame on your 351 allowing a ratchet to reach the nut on the motor to manually extend/retract the slide? Ours does not. I have to drop the above mentioned hatch and use a box end wrench. Have thought about making a hole for access, but...

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Norty,
Wow, I remember that post! I see I even commented on it. Gettin old is a be-atch.
Our slides have a "hatch" cut in the belly for easier access to the motor.
Note that a slide's motor is on the side OPPOSITE the slide.

While on this topic: is there a hole in the frame on your 351 allowing a ratchet to reach the nut on the motor to manually extend/retract the slide? Ours does not. I have to drop the above mentioned hatch and use a box end wrench. Have thought about making a hole for access, but...
Some rigs may be like that but on the 351, the slide motor is in the middle of the slide, on the same side. my rig has a large access hole but I removed enough screws to pull the bottom down enough to allow me to sit on my butt and work on it with a drop light. You may be able to get to the hand crank thru the hole in a pinch.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have had the exact same problem on my rig on each rear slide. It's an easy fix. You have a broken bolt right where the slide motor connects to the drive mechanism, underneath the slide. It is a 1/4 20 1 1/4 in. long with a nylon lock nit. It is a case hardened bolt. Get a couple spares. While you have it apart, look at the bolt on the other side of the motor and make sure it is tight.

Drop the bottom by removing enough of the self tapping screws to pull it down and see the motor. Look closely at the motor and replace the broken bolt. It is a grade 8 bolt. There is much discussion whether it should be a hardened bolt, but that is what was there and I replaced it with the same type.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...m-21572-2.html
I agree with noty1 on this as had this very thing happen to me in May when I tried to retrieve my slide while leaving a Dawson Creek, BC, campground. Off to the hardware store to get a replacement bolt. Fix took me about 30 minutes total once I had the bolt.

Good luck!!

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #16

Thanks Guys. Looks like it has quit raining & I have tomorrow afternoon off to fix this sucker. You guys made it simple. I will let you know how I make out. Took the DW out for a big birthday dinner tonight and if I fix the camper tomorrow, I will be good as gold for several days.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #17

Ok, Slide out fixed. It was just as Norty 1 said, sheared bolt. Interesting that all of the other bolts (shear bolts on the shaft) are #8 hardened bolts. The one that failed was a standard grade bolt. I replaced it with a #8 to match the other originals. It took maybe 30 minutes tops.

I had already made an appointment with my dealer to have them fix it next week. I just called them and cancelled the appointment. The help that I received from this forum saved me two 70 mile round trips. One to leave it at the dealer and one to pick it up. Not to mention the cost of the repair and loss of use of the camper. Thanks Guys!!! I am a happy camper.