Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #21

Like Shin Pond Hunter, ours seem to drain on their own, and I've never had to empty them. They seem to remain taut every time I've checked them after a rain. Ours is a 2004 model, and if the roller springs were going to weaken and let the toppers sag, they should have done so by now - but still no problem. BTW, ours are made by Carefree of Colorado. Are yours also Carefree, or is Jayco using another manufacturer these days ?
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #22

Our dealer hates them and will not install them on the new campers. I wanted them so I guess I will have to do that next spring on my own.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #23

we have had several 5th wheels and never a problem with the toppers on any other make . we bought a new jayco and our toppers also sags plus when we went to put the slide in water poured inside the unit jayco will not admit they have flawed toppers and why should we have to put anything under them as I said we have never had this happen on any other model but the jayco and this is only one of a long list of problems..the windows all leak do not think we will keep this jayco
marydugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #24

carefree are the best and no jayco does not use carefree any more a cost saving on their part as what they use now are cheap and cheaply constructed
Old 10-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #25

jayco know this is a problem with their toppers but they refuse to do anything about it they say the customer is suppose to get the water off but they should not hold water to begin with I will never buy another jayco again no wonder they are loosing their customer base word of mouth spreads and their customer service is the worse
Old 10-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #26

Or you can buy one of these. 3 out my 4 toppers don't have a problem, but the top on the huge slide out does. Think it's just due to the sheer size and length of it. So I'm going to get me one of these. http://awningairwedge.com/
https://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/
Ken&Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #27

the toppers are intended to keep leaves or small branches off the top of the slide so when you go to put it in it will not damage the slide.....they are not intended to keep rain off but they do help if they are a good topper jayco uses an inferior product so they tend to sag and hold water like an old tent and a good topper will not sag do not listen to what jayco tells you it is a bunch of crap because they do not want to be responsible I bought a jayco because I thought it was a top of the line high end 5th wheel sagging toppers water pouring inside when I close my slide leaking windows which is funny because I got double thermal window and they leak when it rains...and by the way this is a new 5th wheel and we have not even got to use it yet as it has been in the shop ever since we bought it....went to pick it up and the automatic jacks would not retract....we want to love this 5th wheel but so far ???
Old 10-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by marydugger View Post
sagging toppers water pouring inside when I close my slide leaking windows which is funny because I got double thermal window and they leak when it rains...and by the way this is a new 5th wheel and we have not even got to use it yet as it has been in the shop ever since we bought it....went to pick it up and the automatic jacks would not retract...
So if you haven't used it yet when did you experience the sagging toppers and water coming in
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by marydugger View Post
carefree are the best and no jayco does not use carefree any more a cost saving on their part as what they use now are cheap and cheaply constructed
The CAREFREE on my big slide will pool as did the CAREFREE's on my 1992, 1998 and 2001 units. Pooling has been a discussion since toppers were invented. It's not brand specific.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #30
Site Team

Slide out topper blues!!! HELP

I have had Carefree and Dometic. All have pooled water and not just Jayco.
We asked Jayco and they told us to bring it in a ft , let it drain then extend back out.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #31

Mine always drain the water off, no problem. Have not had any come inside either. Sure beats me climbing on top and sweeping water and debris off. I"m just plain getting much too old for that. I did notice one end of my gasket pulled loose when I just opened my unit up to get ready for a trip this week. Can't get the gasket back in place because I can't get to the screw to take the protective cover off the end. The slide topper bracket is blocking the one screw I need to get to. Darn. May have to take it in!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #32

We have been fulltiming in our Pinnacle for over three years, and had the same issue with slide toppers. Ours became stretched so badly that this year I replaced the fabric with new fabric from toughtopawnings.com.

I have solved the water pooling problem now...I made a series of 1/4 inch holes in the fabric using a small soldering iron. The toppers still perform their functions of keeping debris off the slide roof, and providing shade to the roof, and the problem of water pooling and sagging has been completely elinminated.

David and Denise, fulltiming since 2011.
Blog: www.canadafulltimers.blogspot.com
Pinnacle 36RETS, Samsung RF197 refer, 17.5 wheels/H-rated tires, Mor-Ryde pinbox, wet bolts and X-Factor, Monroe shocks, TireMinder TPMS.
2013 GMC 3500HD DRW 2wd, AirLift rear airbags, Curt Q20, 46 gal ATI transfer tank, Yamaha 3000iS in pickup bed
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #33

I'll have to run out and get myself 3 slide toppers this afternoon. They seem to be without a doubt a must have.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #34

My in laws toppers sag on occasion if we get a lot of rain. They just run the slide in and back out. All the water drains off and it's tight again.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
My in laws toppers sag on occasion if we get a lot of rain. They just run the slide in and back out. All the water drains off and it's tight again.
I do the same with mine.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #36

Next time we are Stateside I am going to order these...http://awningairwedge.com/
https://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/
Ken&Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pond Hunter View Post
Ours seem to drain automatically. The weight of the water makes them sag and drain off the sides. As the water drains, we can hear the roller mechanism creep back up and tighten. Have not timed this process, but, it usually is finished within a day.

Another trick is to place a small beach ball under the awning to make a tent like structure. My neighbor constructed a PVC device that he slides beneath each topper; it has the same affect as the beach ball.
Seen the beach ball used this summer in Wyoming. Worked well. Just remember it is there when bringing slide in ??
FiredguyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #38

just a note on topper repair. $1200 bucks to replace the large slide topper on our Pinnacle at CW.
Do as Jayco suggested and bring it in a foot and wait for it to drain itself.
FiredguyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #39
Site Team

I have 2 air wedges. They work fine but I don't put them in place unless I'm set up for a week or so.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredguyAZ View Post
just a note on topper repair. $1200 bucks to replace the large slide topper on our Pinnacle at CW.
Do as Jayco suggested and bring it in a foot and wait for it to drain itself.
That was way too much, why didn't they just replace the fabric? Had 2 done (10' and 6') on our SENECA for under $600.