Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #51

I notified my dealer on July 7 or July 8 that the front landing gear jacks are still inadequate for the trailer. They are still waiting on some kind of authorization from Jayco to do more work on it.

The dealer told me that whenever they replaced the front legs, they replaced the 30 amp breaker with a 50 amp breaker. The motor trips that 50 amp breaker every few seconds when it is lifting the trailer. That indicates to me that there is a serious issue with the motor.

I received an email reply from Jayco to my inquiry about the dry weight of the trailer on the front legs. Their answer is that they have no idea what that weight is. Isn't this something the engineering department would want to know before sending the camper out the door? How can they know if this jack is adequate or not if they don't know what it is lifting?

Does Jayco really want for me to have this kind of sour taste in my mouth?

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #52

Go weight it. .. But I doubt it is over 5k. You would notice that in the back of your truck. Mine weights 1400 lbs not sure what the jacks are good for but I have seen no issues. But you should know what it weights. We all assume that it is within spec. Breakers had been replaced. Jacks. And when you know the weight it will be hard for jayco to deny the motor is the issue. Plus it would be good for you to know the weight.

imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #53
Site Team

I'm no engineer but it seems it would be very close to the tongue weight. Easy to check at a CAT scale.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #54

I have no idea by how much, but it will be more than the pin weight. The closer you move a support to the middle of the camper, the more the weight is. The listed pin weight of this camper is 2400 pounds.

I retired from dirt track racing a couple years ago and sold my electronic scales. I think I will borrow some scales from one of my friends this week and find the weight on the legs. I am on vacation this week, so I have plenty of time.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #55

I suppose it would be fairly easy for me to say, "if it were me, I would...". So, since that is the case, here goes. If it were me, I would have Jayco CS phone number on speed dial. I would also establish some sort of relationship with someone in customer service or management at Jayco. You need to get past the dealer and deal with Jayco directly. Your problem is too big to be "jacked" around like this.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #56

I contacted the dealer today. They haven't heard a word from Jayco. I called Jayco. the lady on the phone took down my information and said she would have somebody from their technical service department give me a call. We'll see how long that takes.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #57

After not hearing back from Jayco, I called again one week ago today. I was transferred directly to somebody in the technical service department. I told him the story and told him I think the motor is junk. He told me to have the dealer send a warranty request for a motor replacement and he would approve it.

I immediately forwarded this info to the dealer, and the dealer said they would immediately make the request. I've been busy and haven't had a chance to follow up with the dealer. I might do that today.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #58

Glad to hear they will give a new motor a try. Sad that you have to do all the work to get a new motor, at this point you might as well do the work to install it too.
Shaking head right now. ...
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #59

The dealer has received the motor, and I have an appointment for first thing Saturday morning to get it changed.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #60

I have no idea what the duty cycle of the motor is but keep that in mind when you're testing it. There is testing it and there is trying to make it fail. Lol