Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Wheel Bearing North Point

My 2016 North Point has the Lippert 7000 lb axles on it. Do they have an EZ lube on them or do I need to grease the bearings the old fashioned way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #2

Probably has ez lube. But I don't recommend using it is my opinion. You are pushing the bad grease out of the inner bearing into the center cavity where some of it remains and you push that old grease into the outer bearing. Also you can blow the seals out and not know it. Also if you old school it you can inspect the brakes and know if the seals are bad. I highly recommend replacing the china bearings and seals with US made or high quality imports.

But if you must, the wheel needs to be off the ground and you need to spin the wheel was you pump grease into it. You must use a manual grease gun as a power grease gun can blow out the seals.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

What Earl says!
Three of us here right now have grease on our brakes. Don't know why, none of use have greased the bearings yet.
But reading what Earl posted in another thread about the seals, I sure won't be "easy" lubing mine after my dealer replaces all my brakes.
The dealer even said they only grease the old fashion way and use quality seals after.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Always, I repeat always install new good quality seals that are double lip and spring loaded.
Use a high quality full synthetic grease rated for high temperature and wheel bearings. Do not mix greases, always remove and clean all of the old grease out when changing to a different grease or if you don't know what grease it has in it.

Earl
Old 04-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Great advice. Any grease and seal brand recommendations in particular that you advise?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

I prefer Timkin bearings as they are still US made (at least they were when I last bought bearings). Seals, any brand as long as they aren't china and they are double lip and spring loaded. Import seals and bearings are good as long as they aren't china.

I don't hand pack, I use a bearing packer. It's cleaner and faster than hand packing.

Earl
Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #7

Need to have this done on my new 377, getting nervous after hearing about grease on the brakes. Getting even more nervous since the last time I had bearings repacked on my previous unit, I lost an entire wheel st 5:30am in the pitch black on the way to Disney world and had no clue until someone flagged me down. Dealer apparently did not tighten all the lugs on that wheel.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #8

I like Mobil1 bearing grease or Royal Purple. I find, if you don't pump the gun like you're putting out a fire, your seals should stay intact. Doesn't hurt to occasionally check, just to make sure. I have a 40:1 pump gun. Which means it takes 40 pumps to distribute 1oz. of grease. Like I said, unless you're pumping like a wild banshee, you shouldn't blow the seals out the back. Plan on taking some time to do all the bearings. It takes a while at 40 pumps an ounce. Pump the grease until it comes out the front. It should push some of the old grease out as well, but don't expect it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I like Mobil1 bearing grease or Royal Purple. I find, if you don't pump the gun like you're putting out a fire, your seals should stay intact. Doesn't hurt to occasionally check, just to make sure. I have a 40:1 pump gun. Which means it takes 40 pumps to distribute 1oz. of grease. Like I said, unless you're pumping like a wild banshee, you shouldn't blow the seals out the back. Plan on taking some time to do all the bearings. It takes a while at 40 pumps an ounce. Pump the grease until it comes out the front. It should push some of the old grease out as well, but don't expect it.
What they are trying to tell you is they did NOT use quality seals............
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
My 2016 North Point has the Lippert 7000 lb axles on it. Do they have an EZ lube on them or do I need to grease the bearings the old fashioned way?

I personally only use EZ lube on my boat trailers, they're underwater a lot and if grease leaks out ,oh well, no brakes. I had a car tow dolly with the ez lube hubs. The inner spring was fully extending inward. I only pumped enough grease to push the inner cup a touch outward and grease was all over the inner wheels after using it. Seals were probably dried out but that isn't my point. I think the old fashioned way is the way to go as the don't overload your hubs with unnecessary grease.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
What they are trying to tell you is they did NOT use quality seals............

Ahhhh...I see. Said the blind man.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #12

I like the "EZ" way, but safe old fashioned way seems a lot safer. Looks like I have some work ahead of me.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #13

Spent about 3 hours and a roll of paper towels but I finally got them done. Hands down the messiest vehicle maintenance job I have done in a while.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #14

I have used the EZ without a problem before. I do it on a good hot summer day. Wheels off the ground. Go slow and spin the wheel.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I prefer Timkin bearings as they are still US made (at least they were when I last bought bearings). Seals, any brand as long as they aren't china and they are double lip and spring loaded. Import seals and bearings are good as long as they aren't china.

I don't hand pack, I use a bearing packer. It's cleaner and faster than hand packing.

Earl
Yes on Timken! I just bought some spares from Amazon. The description said China was country of origin. I took the leap and when received I checked and they're all stamped "made in USA".
My FIL would only buy Timken and he started me down that trail 43 years ago.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote