Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #1

Is This Normal Now??

2021 37L (two weeks old) ordered last September - just received 2 weeks ago. Between this board and the Facebook group, I so appreciate the knowledge and advice you all supply. Just a little disappointed in what we are seeing so far as the QC from Jayco lately. Just wondering if this is now what we can expect from all RV manufacturing or more a problem with Jayco getting too aggressive on producing products way too fast?????….. here are the bigger non-critical “stuff” that Jayco needs to currently address on my brand new coach….
Bunk TV won’t eject DVD. Put the Trav’ler Direct TV satellite receiver on the roof (without the controller) instead of the in-motion. Door on side is warped and bangs when going down road - and worried glass is going to break. Just was quoted $8,500 to fix paint job on coach. Engine cooling fan won’t shut off unless I turn A/C in cab off. I did take out the washer and hook up the dryer vent myself that wasn’t connected to the outside. Those are the big things I found so far, and have a few pages sent to the dealer of “little things” that we are finding daily.….but only have had it a week……next available appointment to get the “stuff” fixed on my NEW coach is middle of July - I took it!!

It would be interesting to have the upper management of Jayco looking at these posts. ��
DocDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #2

I have a friend that has a saying and it goes a little something like this....

Campers aren't built right, they are just built right now.

The demand for campers has them flying off the assembly line so quickly there isn't time to build them right.

I've often thought about starting a camper building company and building them RIGHT... Right enough that transit from the factory to the dealer doesn't have them showing up with an arm long list of things that has gone wrong from assembly to arrival. I know full well that my target market won't be first time buyers, and often times not even 2nd time buyers. It will be those that have bought 1 or more new rigs and were completely disgusted with how shoddily they were assembled. The first thing that brings this pipe dream to an end is the fact that there are so few suppliers for the components that go into these rigs and being a small quantity buyer means being at the bottom of the wait list to get said components.

Sorry you are having issues with a brand new unit... it's truly a sad situation.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #3

First, remember that these things are like towing your house down the road, hitting potholes and bumps. Things WILL shake loose and brake. Better for your mental health to expect it to happen and not get upset about it.

Second, make it your hobby to fix the little things that you can, and not worry about taking it back for warranty work unless it is big and expensive. I had the rear bedroom window valance/blinds crash down when driving, there were only two small screws holding the entire heavy thing up. Just got my drill out and some new screws and fixed it myself, got on with my life. Same with magnetic step sensor on the entrance door. Replaced it, $10 and 20 minutes of my time. Cab dome lights wouldn't turn off, researched it online, sprayed some lubricant in the door lock mechanisms and now dome light sensors turn on and off just fine. Cheaper than fuel to get it to the dealer!
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
First, remember that these things are like towing your house down the road, hitting potholes and bumps. Things WILL shake loose and brake. Better for your mental health to expect it to happen and not get upset about it.
My saying.....
"A house in constant earthquake conditions with hurricane force winds"
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #5

Funny how my Tow Vehicle doesn’t have any staples in it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #6

[QUOTE=EricM22;971001]First, remember that these things are like towing your house down the road, hitting potholes and bumps. Things WILL shake loose and brake. Better for your mental health to expect it to happen and not get upset about it.”

Hi Eric - thanks for the reply…… but…..as I don’t disagree with your thought …… the coach is BRAND NEW!!! It hasn’t even had a chance to hit potholes and bumps. This has come BROKEN from the factory.

Quote “Second, make it your hobby to fix the little things that you can, and not worry about taking it back for warranty work unless it is big and expensive. I had the rear bedroom window valance/blinds crash down when driving, there were only two small screws holding the entire heavy thing up. Just got my drill out and some new screws and fixed it myself, got on with my life. “

LOL Yep - Ours made it about 100 miles before it fell off the wall. Hasn’t Jayco been building these for a few years now??? I would guess that this exact same problem has happened to many people/coaches. Who holds that valance up with two little screws??? Where is QC?? Just a little disappointing - not that I can’t fix it….. and I did….but why should I HAVE TO fix something right from the factory after paying as much as we do. If your door fell off your new Chevy or Ford pickup on the way home from the dealership after purchasing it brand new, would you just grab a drill and put better hinges on it and say it must have been the darn potholes????

If the sentiment is anything like portrayed on this and the Facebook boards, Jayco is losing quite a few prospective customers. It’s too bad. I generally still believe it is a good coach, but a little more quality control and more effort would seem to go a long way.
DocDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #7

I read that there is a Company close to most of the RV factories that is going to start doing Quality Control inspections on RV’s for the factories. And then doing repairs before units are delivered to the Dealers, the Manufacturers said this would be cheaper than having Dealers do the repairs. This Company will be Authorized to do Warranty work also. If this happens we will get better units delivered to our local dealers.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #8

I have owned 3 fifth wheel campers. One of them was a Jayco. Sturdy built with zero issues. I put thousands of miles on that camper, including a trip of 3 months to southern Baja Mexico. Never had anything fall off or fail.
Since they sold out to Thor in 2017, I've been told, by a guy that's been in the business for 20 plus years, that they went into Jayco with the intent of streamlining production. Actually timing each work station with stop watches to see where and how to save money. This has led to a huge loss of craftsmanship, just to make a buck.
He went on to say that the quality and resale of Jayco has went in the toilet. And, advised me to look at other options out there instead of purchasing a Class C I've been looking at. One of the other brands he suggested was Winnebago Class C models.
Better resale and better built. Again, one man's opinion.
Erd04056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:47 PM   #9

I have a 2020 37l. Right out of the gate there has been not stop issues. Some bigger then others. I try to fix myself what I can. I feel thow that jayco needs to pay to fix these units so it does affect there bottom line. So they make them properly right out of the factory. I am having to get the dealer to fix the same issue a few times so not sure if they charge jayco twice for the repairs. They do get instructions from jayco how they want them fixed. To me if the way they say doesn't fix it then should have to pay again. This industry need to be regulated better. And should be forced to give longer warranties. To make them stand by there products. Also rv techs need way better training. My 2 cents anyways.
seneca323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

I'm glad that I bought mine when I did in 2018. People complained about quality before this "pandemic" but listening to people on the forums and watching some vids on it, I would never buy an RV right now, no matter how bad I wanted one.
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca323 View Post
... I am having to get the dealer to fix the same issue a few times so not sure if they charge jayco twice for the repairs. They do get instructions from jayco how they want them fixed...
I took my Seneca in 3 times for issues with the schwintek slide. Each time they followed exactly what Jayco told them. Time goes by, I am out of warranty and it breaks again. This time I tell the dealer I am paying for it out of pocket and they find the cause (track mounted on an angle) and fix it. Cost me over $500.
Maybe that is the new MO.... push back until out of warranty and make the customer pay for it.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
First, remember that these things are like towing your house down the road, hitting potholes and bumps. Things WILL shake loose and brake. Better for your mental health to expect it to happen and not get
It doesn't have to be that way. We had our 2011 eagle 320 rlds delivered in April of 2011. We drove it A Thousand Miles home to Colorado. We encountered the usual bumps and bruises of the highway before we hit our five mile decomposed granite semi maintained Road from the highway to our home. For the next 10 + years every time we took that trailer out it navigated that road coming and going.

For several years we drove it approximately 800 miles to the Phoenix area where we spent the winter. Aside from countless weekend trips There were multiple 1400 Hundred Mile round trips to Omaha. It went to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, multiple trips to the Rocky Mountain National Park area, Southern California. Its final Journey was to Las Vegas where we spent roughly a year living in it while we looling for a home and remodeling of that home.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8erfxr View Post
I'm glad that I bought mine when I did in 2018. People complained about quality before this "pandemic" but listening to people on the forums and watching some vids on it, I would never buy an RV right now, no matter how bad I wanted one.
Couldn’t agree more. We have a 2018.5 which hasn’t been that bad but between here and the Facebook Seneca groups, the 2020’s are worse and the 2021’s are horrible, plagued with constant issues that dealers can’t seem to fix.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #14

Our 2011 Eagle 320 went up and down five miles of rocky road every time we took it up which was probably around a hundred and fifty times over 10 years. We put nearly 20,000 miles on it and never had anything resembling the problems with I'm hearing today. No screws came out except for the dining table that was screwed into the slide floor, and that was easily resolved by propping it with chairs and pillow cushions. Other than that, while I'm sure there was something else, I can't think of anything. These manufacturers have a pretty good idea that some of these will actually be taken on the roads and highways. No excuse for having them fall apart because they are doing what they are purchased to do
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #15

I remember a Car Talk episode years ago when one brother (say, Tom) said the 1st model year quality is the best, because after that the manufacturers learn how to reduce costs to build. Ray said no, quality improves in subsequent years, as they see what mistakes have been made in the 1st year and correct them going forward.

We took possession of our 2021 last August -- put money down with dealer in July and waited for delivery. The MORyde steps and awning had manufacturing dates of mid-July 2021, so our rig was built soon after production resumed, I believe. I figured that workers would either be careful and slow when getting back to work, or fast, sloppy and forgetful, hoping for the former. So far, we have only had one known issue: a teeny tiny cosmetic hinge problem, leading me to believe that we bought ours at just the right time, which was simply a matter of luck. I hope that continues...
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #16

I'm certain mine was built on Friday afternoon or the Monday after the Super Bowl.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #17

[QUOTE=DocDW;971019]
Quote:
First, remember that these things are like towing your house down the road, hitting potholes and bumps. Things WILL shake loose and brake. Better for your mental health to expect it to happen and not get upset about it.”

Hi Eric - thanks for the reply…… but…..as I don’t disagree with your thought …… the coach is BRAND NEW!!! It hasn’t even had a chance to hit potholes and bumps. This has come BROKEN from the factory.

Quote “Second, make it your hobby to fix the little things that you can, and not worry about taking it back for warranty work unless it is big and expensive. I had the rear bedroom window valance/blinds crash down when driving, there were only two small screws holding the entire heavy thing up. Just got my drill out and some new screws and fixed it myself, got on with my life. “

LOL Yep - Ours made it about 100 miles before it fell off the wall. Hasn’t Jayco been building these for a few years now??? I would guess that this exact same problem has happened to many people/coaches. Who holds that valance up with two little screws??? Where is QC?? Just a little disappointing - not that I can’t fix it….. and I did….but why should I HAVE TO fix something right from the factory after paying as much as we do. If your door fell off your new Chevy or Ford pickup on the way home from the dealership after purchasing it brand new, would you just grab a drill and put better hinges on it and say it must have been the darn potholes????

If the sentiment is anything like portrayed on this and the Facebook boards, Jayco is losing quite a few prospective customers. It’s too bad. I generally still believe it is a good coach, but a little more quality control and more effort would seem to go a long way.
X2. Quality is a 4 letter word within the RV industry now. With all the issues on the newly built RV's, and the quantity being sold, good luck trying to get an appointment to fix any issues you can't take care of yourself.

They know they have problems but ignore them. Get them built, and let the customer worry about getting the repairs done.

Sad state the industry is in now.

Remember the quality issues of cars built in the 70's and 80's?
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #18
RPR

As someone stated, going in you have to keep reminding yourself they are put together with glue and staples.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
As someone stated, going in you have to keep reminding yourself they are put together with glue and staples.
Only a few years ago quality was much better.

They've decided that it's not important now.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:15 PM   #20

It’s unreal how many things are wrong with my 2020 Redhawk 31F. Everything from twisted and kinked propane lines, leveling pump bracket failure, unsealed gaps to the outside, doors that wouldn’t shut, an awning that won’t retract all the time, just to name a few. Just this past weekend I noticed the top bunk my 100 lb son sleeps on, which is rated for 300 lbs, was about to give out with my daughter underneath. The damn bunk cannot even support a 100 lb kid!!! Well done Jayco. I know most RV manufacturers build crap, but this will be my last Jayco!!! Of course RV dealerships are booked up months out and are 2 hours away, so there is no hope having these covered by warranty if we wanted to camp in it this year. I think I’d rather fix everything myself anyways. At least I know it’s done correctly and will not break again. It’s still really frustrating that we pay this much money and the idiots at Jayco can’t even offer us a product that isn’t thrown together by a bunch of workers who couldn’t care less. Just my 2˘...
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qual, quality control, quality issues