Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

2017 White Hawk Fan Install

Most 2017 White Hawks have the option for a factory installed Fantastic fan in mid-coach. I passed on this in my 28DSBH, as I ordered between model years. I wasn't aware it was a new-for-'17 option until my unit was in production.

This spring I plan to install a MaxxAir Deluxe fan where the Fantastic fan would have been - it's a better fan (thermostat, auto-closing, etc.) and I'm excited to put it in. I already have the roof diagrams from Jayco, I know where the framing for the vent is and I'm confident enough in my abilities to cut a hole in the roof and properly install it. The only thing I'm curious about is whether the existing fan framing includes a hot wire. I could easily grab power from nearby ceiling lights but they're all on a cabin switch and I want a constant source of power for the fan. I'm guessing the wire is there but it'd be better to know for sure so that I can plan accordingly.

I've already asked Jayco this question but if anyone else has already made this mod I'd appreciate any info you have. If you HAVEN'T done it but are interested in how it goes for me, let me know - I'd be happy to post info and pics when I do the install.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:33 AM   #2

I think it is better to install a breaker panel rather than grabbing power from the ceiling light. Also, I would like to share something that I found recently about the breaking panel. You should be careful while turning on or off because it can sometimes spray high-velocity shards of hot metal and plastic to the user's face (https://www.theshockdoctors.ca/blog/...reaker-safety/). So always be careful while turning off the breaking panel.
EvaJoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJoh View Post
I think it is better to install a breaker panel rather than grabbing power from the ceiling light. Also, I would like to share something that I found recently about the breaking panel. You should be careful while turning on or off because it can sometimes spray high-velocity shards of hot metal and plastic to the user's face (https://www.theshockdoctors.ca/blog/...reaker-safety/). So always be careful while turning off the breaking panel.
Interesting read. I usually don't carry a long sleeve work shirt with me on camping trips. I do touch my breakers individually occasionally to see if there is any abnormal heat buildup.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJoh View Post
Hmm interesting on the breaker panel info.

As for the fan. Keep in mind that it is 12v if the OPs camper is like our 25BH. So he doesn't want to add another breaker but rather another fuse if there isn't power.

I am in a similar situation. We bought our camper from the RV Show last month. The only fan is in the bathroom as the one in the kitchen was optional. We mainly boondock so it would be nice when it isn't that hot enough to need the AC and a big generator to be able to vent heat from camper with just a small generator or a shared one with multiple campers.

Had we ordered the camper it would be something we would have added since it is only $75. I never asked the dealer what it would cost to install one but I am a bit nervous about cutting a hole in the roof of our new camper. Also like what the OP is asking, it would be ideal if the fan had a constant power source rather than be powered off the lights which are switched off the main control panel. I don't know how you would fish a new power wire up from the fuse panel if there isn't already a constant source there. It is possible that both fans are run off the same circuit and they route that wire up from the fuse panel through where the fan gets installed on its way to the bathroom but who knows. The reason for doing this is it is easier to wire them all the same rather than have to look at a build sheet to see if it does or doesn't have the $75 option. The reason to not do this is would be it is a waste of wire if it isn't added. I don't see them just doing a dedicated single run up there when the option isn't installed because if the fuse was ever added it could cause a short in the roof.

Hopefully the OP documents the install for us. I have been looking for videos on youtube to see if this is something I want to tackle. I haven't asked the dealer but I expect them to say north of $500. About all I have seen so far is where someone has fan powered an existing non-powered vent and they did what the OP was saying and found power from a near by light which would be less than ideal.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #5

I think this is what you are looking for Can You Use the Power Supply From An Existing Light to Add an Additional External Outlet : Electrical Online
EvaJoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Hopefully the OP documents the install for us. I have been looking for videos on youtube to see if this is something I want to tackle. I haven't asked the dealer but I expect them to say north of $500. About all I have seen so far is where someone has fan powered an existing non-powered vent and they did what the OP was saying and found power from a near by light which would be less than ideal.
Will do!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
As promised, here's the install: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post508709

I was able to use a 15 amp circuit that only had my range hood light/fan and one other under-cabinet LED light on it. Plenty of amps left over for the 4.5 amps that the MaxxAir fan draws on its highest setting.

« Murphy bed | Help »