Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Team

I do not have the thermal package or enclosed underbelly, have camped low as 22* and high as 100 and been comfortable. But my trailer does not have large windows and only a small slide. I would however prefer it on my next trailer if possible. As for the windows, you do not get better windows with a $400 thermal package. They are the same. Better windows would be another option, and only available on some TT models.

Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #12

I was in the same dilemma, ended up buying without the thermal package. For about $300 in materials, mainly corrugated plastic sheeting and foam insulation you can enclose your underbelly and achieve the same thing. I am planning to use clip nuts to put the coroplast on in sections so that it is easily removable for service and winter storage.

It is a decent amount of work, but definitely a good option, make sure to buy the coroplast in 8'x4' sheets!

motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I was in the same dilemma, ended up buying without the thermal package. For about $300 in materials, mainly corrugated plastic sheeting and foam insulation you can enclose your underbelly and achieve the same thing. I am planning to use clip nuts to put the coroplast on in sections so that it is easily removable for service and winter storage.

It is a decent amount of work, but definitely a good option, make sure to buy the coroplast in 8'x4' sheets!
According to Jayco`s option list the thermal package contains in addition to the enclosed underbelly ''Foil insulation in roof and slideout floors''. I wonder how much real difference that makes...
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #14

Yeah, I had quite the laugh when the salesman told me about this. The foil insulation is meant to reduce heat transfer through radiation, so if it was on the *outside* of the trailer it would be great...except that you would blind everyone around you. When you take this insulation, which is essentially bubble wrap made out of an aluminized plastic, and cover it then it becomes useless. It has the R-value of bubble wrap, so heat transfer through conduction (most important) is essentially unaffected.

Where I am in Canada is it relatively popular to spray foam the undercarriage, which works fantastically, but good luck fixing anything under there afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
According to Jayco`s option list the thermal package contains in addition to the enclosed underbelly ''Foil insulation in roof and slideout floors''. I wonder how much real difference that makes...
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The way the foil insulation is installed, it provides no more than R1 or R2 insulation value, depending on the thickness of the bubble layer. For foil "insulation" (technically, it is a reflective radiant barrier, not insulation) to be effective, it has to have a significant air gap on both sides, otherwise, heat will be conducted through the foil.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #16

The thermal package really pertains to the insulated underbelly cover. more for cold weather. And there is a heat shield In the roof above the insulation.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #17

CU,

Welcome and congrats on shopping for a new rig!!!

Not sure what model you are looking at, but I would decide for or against the thermal package based on where you plan on camping the majority of time. So far with our 32 BHDS (15K a/c, no thermal package) here in Michigan, we haven't had any issues with the a/c keeping the trailer nice and cool this summer. My wife get hot easy, so she likes it as cold as possible and the a/c has kept up.

We do tend to keep the shades closed during the day if in the sun, I we have shade form tress we will open the shades.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
CU,

Welcome and congrats on shopping for a new rig!!!

Not sure what model you are looking at, but I would decide for or against the thermal package based on where you plan on camping the majority of time. So far with our 32 BHDS (15K a/c, no thermal package) here in Michigan, we haven't had any issues with the a/c keeping the trailer nice and cool this summer. My wife get hot easy, so she likes it as cold as possible and the a/c has kept up.

We do tend to keep the shades closed during the day if in the sun, I we have shade form tress we will open the shades.

Good luck deciding!!!
Yeah but what do you do about winter? Some don't go south.. Lol

Old 08-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucas77 View Post
Yeah but what do you do about winter? Some don't go south.. Lol

Snowmobile if the weather permits!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #20

I don't have it. Like Crabman, we have camped from 24* to 105*, no humidity though, and have never struggled to cool or heat our TT. If the package would have already been on the trailer I woukd have been happy to have it, but I don't regret it after the fact.

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote