Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

Done with Jayco!

Well fellas (and ladies) I suppose its time to move on from the Jayco world. My 2017 32BDSW has given me so much trouble with stupid crap breaking....Southaven RV in Southaven Mississippi kept it for 2 months working on simple stuff (DON'T BUY ANYTHING THERE!)....now (as I write this camping with my family) the circuit board for the hot water heater is out (AGAIN).....NO SHOWERS TONIGHT KIDS....JAYCO'S CRAP LETS US GO TO BED DIRTY! I bought this unit because of the "brand"....Jayco used to be 1 of the leaders...(if not THE leader) in RV's. I don't know what happened to them....but before lunch Monday, I'll own a different brand. This is the most upset I've been in quite sometime.....lets re-cap shall we?

Purchased unit October 2016....in shop for 3 weeks in December (warranty - HOT WATER CIRCUIT BOARD)....used it extensively for 4 more months...then back in shop from April through the end of MAY (warranty work).....now here I sit, trying to use my investment again....and damn if its broken down again.

Owned it for 9 months......in the shop for over 2 and a half months (almost 3)....and now it needs something else. WOW!!!!!......whats the point of buying a brand new unit? GRAND DESIGN HERE I COME!

If anyone knows who, where, and what I need to say to rattle someones chains at Jayco to make this right....please let me know. I'm self employed....not for sure this camper won't be sitting in their front yard at Jayco HQ in Indiana next week!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!.....I hope ya'lls Jayco product hasn't been this much of a pain in the tail!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #2

It's unfortunate you've had all these problems right from the get go and none of us would put up with these problems either. I own a 2010 unit ( bought it used ) 4 years ago and to date I've replaced just 1 light bulb and it's been on the road over 16 months. I'm not bragging but I like you think the quality is not what it used to be. I hope your new Grand Design makes your traveling experience A carefree one. Please keep us posted about its quality construction and what you like best over the Jayco.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:40 AM   #3

I think most the manufacturers out there are pretty equal with quality issues. It just the way it is today. The main problem is finding a place who can perform warranty repair the way it should be. Good Luck, I haven't found one yet. The only advice I can give is taking it to Jayco. When I asked a couple weeks ago the appointment wait time is around 8 or 9 months. That should tell you something. I've had my unit in my possession 11months and next week it will be 9 months sitting at a shop. It is not even close to being repaired. The wife and I bought a old (2000) pop up last summer and that's what we've been using. The unit has 0 issues and hasn't leaked in the pouring rain. I do get strange looks towing the darn thing around with the dually though.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
Old 07-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #4

To be fair, the circuit board is probably Atwood's fault, not Jaycos. That's like blaming Ford for bad tires. Most of us here are happy with our Jaycos but sometimes a lemon slips into the mix.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #5

Jayco did not make a lot of the components of your rv , Water heater/tv Stove/Microwave /A/c units , they build the unit to Haul those devices, Is the quality of the unit not what it should be ? or is it the component's that Jayco added ?
They all have Warrenty, bet some one here has a Number to call, its obvious you repairing dealer cant or will not do a proper repair . make a few calls,send some emails
Don't through a way your investment over things that Jayco maynot even know about .. Have you contacted Jayco I understand your frustration.

Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
Old 07-16-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Only problem is the Grand Design may have the same components as Jayco.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #7

My hot water heater Circuit board went out as well on my 2016 28BHBE. Hot Water Heater would not run on gas.
I have been reading where quite a few folks are having this problem on this forum. We need to notify Atwood there is a lot of problems with the recent circuit boards. I wonder if they changed manufacturers for the boards?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #8

I have to agree with others here that blaming Jayco for the multiple failures of a water heater (or any other "component") that Jayco does not build, is not fair to Jayco.

There are very few options in regards to what "components" ALL RV manufacturers have to choose from when building their RV's and ALL of those manufacturers have issues with their products. So moving from Jayco to Grand Design or any one else, may or may not resolve your issues with "components" and you could end up in the same boat as you are now or worse when your 1 year warranty with Grand Design expires.

The only thing that Jayco should be held accountable for is the quality of their "build" in regards to fit, finish, and durability. And in that regard, I think you will be hard pressed to find another manufacturer that offers the same "bang for the buck" as Jayco does AND stands behind it with a 2 year warranty.

If you haven't already, I would give Attwood a call directly to see what they say the issue might be and what they can do. I have found that in some instances like this, they will respond much more quickly than Jayco can. At least get a service case opened with Attwood with a reference number so that you can take that to Jayco and let them know that Attwood has identified the issue, issued a case number, and what they said the issue was. Then I have gotten good response from either calling Jayco's customer service number or even posting a request on their Facebook page that I needed to have someone contact me about my issues. I have done that twice now with our Girard tankless water heater and our Furrion TV and both times, had the issue resolved within a couple days, not weeks. Even had an on site remote RV repair service come and swap out the water heater for a new one without having to break camp and haul our unit to some dealer where it will sit for weeks or months.

But with all that said, if moving to another manufacturer is what you feel you need to do to make you a "happy camper", REGARDLESS of the "why's" then all I can do is wish you "good luck" that you will get a unit without such issues this time around.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardycamper View Post
If anyone knows who, where, and what I need to say to rattle someones chains at Jayco to make this right....please let me know.
Have you contacted JAYCO yourself? They have been known to let you use an independent shop for repairs if your dealer is not getting problems resolved.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #10

We have owned Heartland, Keystone and now Jayco. They all do not produce perfect campers. But we can expect them to honor their commitment to repair if they are negligent. I doubt even the Mercedes of the business all are trouble free. Good luck as you try another. ��
Old 07-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixrensmith View Post
I doubt even the Mercedes of the business all are trouble free.
Our Greyhawk has been far more reliable than my dad's Mercedes.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
Old 07-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
Jayco did not make a lot of the components of your rv , Water heater/tv Stove/Microwave /A/c units , they build the unit to Haul those devices, Is the quality of the unit not what it should be ? or is it the component's that Jayco added ?
They all have Warrenty, bet some one here has a Number to call, its obvious you repairing dealer cant or will not do a proper repair . make a few calls,send some emails
Don't through a way your investment over things that Jayco maynot even know about .. Have you contacted Jayco I understand your frustration.

I agree with most of the above and would like give my answer to this question from above: "... Is the quality of the unit not what it should be ? or is it the component's that Jayco added ?"

My opinion is that no, the quality of the unit is often not what it should be. Just read this forum, and others, about the poor assembly and installation that Jayco (and others) do. And it's true that Jayco just creates the "box" that holds other components that other manufacturers make. But it is fair to hold Jayco responsible for the quality (or lack of same) that the components demonstrate because Jayco specified what was to be supplied and those specifications determine, in large part, the quality of those components.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Only problem is the Grand Design may have the same components as Jayco.
LOL, so true. I suggest the OP go over to the Grand Design Owners forum and read about the new problems he'll get with his GD. None of them are imune to problems. BTW take a look at how GD makes their roof. It's a deal breaker for me. GD is just a Keystone with a different name and better customer service.
Better customer service doesn't mean you won't be back to the dealer less often either.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
glm

Jayco and any other manufacturer has the responsibility to manage their Supply Chain. The RV business is one of the weirdest warranty systems I've seen. No one seems responsible and pass the buck. That's true for the manufacturer, component suppliers and repair shops. Its always someone elses fault. Buy used!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
But it is fair to hold Jayco responsible for the quality (or lack of same) that the components demonstrate because Jayco specified what was to be supplied and those specifications determine, in large part, the quality of those components.
Just like the numerous auto companies and TAKATA?

Nobody new there was an issue until they were all installed.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glm View Post
Jayco and any other manufacturer has the responsibility to manage their Supply Chain. The RV business is one of the weirdest warranty systems I've seen. No one seems responsible and pass the buck. That's true for the manufacturer, component suppliers and repair shops. Its always someone elses fault. Buy used!
X2!!!!

I'm never buying another RV until something seriously changes in the industry.

In fact the hassle factor of getting reservations and using our TT has reached a point we are seriously considering getting out. This might be exacerbated in CA, but not being able to get reservations in places we would like to a few weeks in advance is beyond frustrating. We are currently making reservations for most months 6+ months in advance, then just canceling the ones we can't use. This seems counterproductive, I would much rather plan 3-4 weeks in advance when we know we can go -- like how hotels work.

I just returned from Lake Tahoe on July 6-10, couldn't get a campsite so we stayed in a hotel. Was able to book a nice hotel 2 weeks in advance for $150/night which included breakfast and the hotel was on a sandy beach plus had pool and spa on premises. The only full hookup CG on Tahoe was $90/ night, but ZERO availability. The non-hookup sites where $50-$60 night, again no availability.

Next summer (2018) we are going to Yellowstone. Already campsites are hard too secure, between this and time required to pull the TT 1000+ miles one way, we are staying in hotels on this trip. This trip was always one we dreamed of as a camping trip. When we started planning it, it turns out that the hassle factor is just to much of a PIA.

This is the other side of RV vacationing that has me totally frustrated.

We haven't given up yet because we love it, but we are very close. This could be the last summer.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #17

I have had very good luck on getting an under warranty camper, attended to by the selling dealer.

The key is to develop a "friendly" relationship with the service manager.
Case in point, I had called the dealer (Johnnie Walker RV Las Vegas) and spoke with a generic service writer about a few minor issues.
This generic service writer told me.....6 weeks before we can get you in.
I had the service managers email and cell phone.
One email to him and I got the response...."bring it in, we will take care of it"....despite being "swamped"

On a day that was convenient to me, I took the camper in and it was ready to roll the next day.

Like most interpersonal relationships, yacking up about fishing trips, hunting trips, kids and life history, goes a long way to form a relationship and the subsequent goodwill that comes of that.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
X2!!!!
In fact the hassle factor of getting reservations and using our TT has reached a point we are seriously considering getting out. This might be exacerbated in CA, but not being able to get reservations in places we would like to a few weeks in advance is beyond frustrating.
clubhouse... wait till next year when 500,000 New RV's are sold and competing for the limited number of CG sites. Pretty much will have to dry-camp on the side of some road, and even spots like that are difficult to find without local restrictions

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 07-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
clubhouse... wait till next year when 500,000 New RV's are sold and competing for the limited number of CG sites.
Yep, the new millenial thing is full timing and home school. Of course can't blame them when it comes to "home schooling".
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Yep, the new millenial thing is full timing and home school. Of course can't blame them when it comes to "home schooling".
x2
Closed Thread