Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
With frameless whether DP or not at least you don't have to deal with caulking. One big plus IMO. Especially on some of the units out there that have lots of windows. Less to deal with if you need to remove one. No butyl and caulking to clean up and replace.
Of course all this is dependent on how well the windows were installed. I really hate the regular style. Very clunky to work. They may offer more ventilation since you can open them more. But I'll take the trade off on my next purchase and get the frameless.

goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
Quite the contrary on frameless not requiring some of what you mentioned, or possibly requiring maintenance. They mount the same way as a typical RV window with clamp ring. Most are dry fit windows with a d-seal, and you can read several threads on that here and other forums. That's why you won't see the top and sides perimeter sealed with caulking / sealant. They will leak in time, and a majority of them aren't exactly centered in the hole during installation, which will create a major problem. Best thing, remove, replace with butyl or double sided eternabond tape. Haven't done it yet, but will be removing all 9 of our windows, ditching the dry fit d-seal, and reinstalling centered in the hole, the old way.

I hate laminated walls, but have owned them. I'm not 100% sure the Jayflight side walls are truly laminated like the white hawk is. Mine still has the wood studs and batten insulation in the walls, and batten insulation isn't common to a laminated wall. I know the front and rear are, but haven't researched how Jayco does the Jayflight fiberglass sidewalls specifically. My preference is hung fiberglass such as the older mobile scouts and all cedar creeks have, but Jayco doesn't use that method. Frameless windows, haven't had a problem with them. There are pros and cons to them.

John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote