Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

frozen fresh water tank..

first off i use my jayco for work so its used a lot and very often.. lots of travel and miles. had some unexpected weather come through and it got down to -5 degrees or so. i had the heater going in the trailer. use antifreeze in the grey and black but not the fresh because I'm using the hot water heater...

even with the heater going the fresh water still froze... back home now for awhile and I've had it plugged int the house. furnace going plus an oil radiant heater going all day. day temp up to 45 and a little warmer tomorrow. going to leave the heater going all night. it is starting to thaw out slowly.. doesnt appear to be any damage will monitor and check tomorow.. i pulled back the plastic stuff so i can partially get to tank and noticed other than the crappy plastic its not insulated very well under there.... what could i do to insulate it better... has anyone added anything to there tank?
23jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #2

I think there are tank heaters, like a heating pad with fly-paper on one side (sticky) that maybe you could add.
Post what you find after the thaw. Hope there's no damage!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I think there are tank heaters, like a heating pad with fly-paper on one side (sticky) that maybe you could add.
Post what you find after the thaw. Hope there's no damage!
I'm going to try these tank heaters. 120 volt models. My 12 volt system won't handle the additional load
I have to use mine year around for work.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Plumbing heat tapes might work, but they get pretty hot. You might try the roof heating cords. I had them zig zaged across my house roof to prevent ice dams. They come in different lengths from Home Depot or other big box stores. I bought 100' ones for my roof. They don't get real hot. You could wrap it around or epoxy it to the tanks.

Here is one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-ADK.../dp/B0000DGAKL

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #5

it took a good day to thaw all the way out. i did not use the heated blanket that was mentioned for the reason a lot of time i dont have hookup and only have one battery and dont want to run it low. i used water insulation from home depot about $22. wrapped the tank with that and then put the plastic underbelly back and sealed some of the gaps with spray foam. used foam pipe insulation to wrap all the pipes that i could get to throuout the whole RV.
23jayco is offline   Reply With Quote