Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

Furrion? ... Sony?

I just got back from our 4th trip and last night... our DVD player just quit right in the middle of a movie. The little remote works once in a while. I'm very disappointed in the overall quality of the entertainment system... and I thought the other brand is junk. It's head and shoulders above this... Does Sony make entertainment systems for RV?
Old 11-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Furrion is junk. My stereo lasted three weeks. For $750 the tv should have been "smart" er.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #3

Only reason most MFG's put Furrion, Jensen or IRV units in RV's is because they're the only MFG's for the most part that offer 3 speaker zones. People just get all giddy about that stuff. Even though 99% of the time the outside speakers are trash.
I've never seen a Sony DVD player for an RV with 3 zone capability. It's not easy or cheap to revamp your whole setup. JMO but if my current Jensen takes a dump then since I already have a 1000W inverter I'm going with a BluRay player, sound bar with remote sub woofer and install a car deck for the rest of the music. If needed I'd install a speaker selector to be able to play out side. We never do that hardly so it not really an issue.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

Yeah those things are junk all the way around. I have most of my movies in digital format now so I installed a Sony Media Player behind the TV to play movies from a portable hard disk or thumb drive. For music I installed a XM receiver so the only thing the Furrion stereo does is output the sound to the speakers.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #5

We tend to only watch new movies. Sometimes we may watch one a few times. So having them stored on a hard drive won't work for us. We too have an XM docking station that we use for an XM radio that we use around the house as well. I also have a JBL Flip that we use outside when we want some music. If we have Pandora we just listen to that. We have a small boom box that's for the XM as well. My Jensen isn't Bluetooth enabled so I bought a Belkin BT device that I use to listen to Pandora in the 5th wheel. Pretty much have everything covered as long as the Jensen DVD feature keeps working. Hopefully it will make it a couple more years as that's when we're thinking about getting a different trailer to travel for 2-4 months at a time. Fingers crossed.
Really sad that you can by a car and more than likely only have a small glitch with the stereo. Our last two long term vehicles, (9yrs, and 12yrs) had stereos that worked fine till we sold them. Why can't RV's be the same?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

When I tried to play a dvd nothing happened. After researching I had to take the face plate off the dvd player, and lo and behold no yellow was connected for the sound. I had a picture but no sound. Think they should have done that at the factory.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie t View Post
When I tried to play a dvd nothing happened. After researching I had to take the face plate off the dvd player, and lo and behold no yellow was connected for the sound. I had a picture but no sound. Think they should have done that at the factory.
Why not swap out the RCA cables for an HDMI cable?