Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #1

Help identifying 2015 28BHBE potential roof issue

I have a 2015 28BHBE that is 2 years and 9 months old, and has clear "steps" at many of the plywood joints in the roof. It's almost as if one sheet is 1/2" ply next to a sheet of 1/4" ply. Knowing that is not the case, I can only assume there's water intrusion of some kind causing swelling or delamination, but a) I haven't found any clear leaks and b) this is occurring at different spots from the front to back of the trailer. I have reported this to Jayco and am in the process of working with them.

I'm trying to determine if this is truly a problem as my dealer is 1 hour away. Does anyone else have a roof that looks like this? I'm not sure why the roof membrane would seem to be in tact, but the sheathing look so terrible this way. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	31940

Name:	IMG_0715.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	31941

Name:	IMG_0716.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	31942

Name:	IMG_0707.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	31943

Name:	IMG_0705.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	31944
d1harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #2

Roof separation

What was the outcome of your roof separation? Found mine doing the same thing today.
Kingcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
What was the outcome of your roof separation? Found mine doing the same thing today.
I think you should get on the phone with Jayco, tell them about the OP reporting the problem and now you are seeing the same thing.
Might be more than you know having this issue. Jayco should know that. Maybe defective workmanship?

I have a 2016 28 BHBE and don't see any problems on the roof yet.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

Ours has the same type of issue, although does not appear to be quite as bad as yours. The fact that the roofing is in great shape, I chalked it up as it most likely being poor workmanship when the builders were installing the plywood sheeting (which can obviously be the case after watching the video of them being built!). The joints on my trailer actually appear to be flex/move separately from one another, almost like they are not fastened adequately .

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Jayco had offered to pay for 1/2 of any repairs needed, as my roof was 2 months past the 2-year warranty. But, I didn't any confidence that they or Albany RV would operate in good faith on the repair. For all I knew, they'd do a $2,500 repair and tell me it was a $5,000 repair so I'd foot the entire bill. So I brought it to Bob's RV in Hancock, MA - a very reputable, honest dealership. They don't sell Jayco, but I needed a 2nd opinion. Bob's looked at my roof, then pointed to the fleet of new RVs on their lot and said "See those? They look like yours, don't they?" The point being that the inexact roof joints are common, and if the EPDM isn't compromised and there are no leaks, it's fine. So I chose to do nothing, feeling better about the fact that this dealer with zero interest in the outcome told me my RV is OK.

I should add something about my experience with Jayco. While they offered to cover 1/2 of the repairs, I reminded the company rep. that my roof was inspected right after purchase for roof issues, and asked whether or not this was simply a continuation of the same manufacturer defect. I was met with excuses and a "take it or leave it attitude." I will absolutely never buy a Jayco again. I thought they were a better-than-average quality brand. They're no better than any other manufacturer.
d1harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Jayco screws the joints and when the plywood not properly line up with the rafters they might miss the rafters with screws (that's what it seems to look like) and the plywood will lift as there's pressure on the sheets curve. They definitely will not stop the product line for correcting their errors.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #7

Update

I talked with the dealer and he said that he had never seen one separate like that. He said I could bring it in and they would take pictures and send them in or that I could do it since the 2 year warrenty was up in April. I said what about the 5 year structure and roof warrenty, he said that is why I needed to contact Jayco because it would be their call and they would be more responsive and cooperative with me than them just like when the floor separated after 6 months plus they are aware of all of the issues we have had with this camper and they may take that in account also. He said they would assist me any way they can to just let them know. I also had my roof checked the last month of the 2 year warranty and everything was fine. I will be contacting Jayco and see what they say.
Kingcobb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination, leak, plywood, roof, separation