Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
I also had a miserable time uncoupling when our TT was new and found the suggestions above worked well, especially lubricating the ball.
Ours has gotten easier each time. I think the grease was a big help.

Henk the German Shepherd & Family
2006 Toyota Sequoia
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
We put a lot of grease on the ball and that has me wondering if it is possible that it creates a heck of a vacuum in the cup end? Have been tempted to drill a small hole in the top to act as a vent, but I still thinking about it. Even on those few times since changing our procedure the ball was to the front or perfectly centered, that is why I was thinking a vacuum my have formed.

2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #13
Lots of good suggestions that I will be trying. Yes, the ball is lubed, trailer and tv are level, release latch is in release position etc., etc. but it just won't let go. It looks like the fit is so tight front to back that the ball must be EXACTLY centred in the coupler before it will move at all. It seems to jam in there.

I have even tried a different receiver hitch/ball to see if that was the problem with the same result.

I like the idea of checking for excessive paint or powder coat in the coupler as that might explain why it is such a close fit and will check that tomorrow.

Seriously, this is the first of many trailers that I have had this problem with and it's a real PITA.
BCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #14
I have this same problem. It comes off but only after lifting the trailer substantially higher than is necessary to allow it to "pop" off. Then the trailer sways like crazy because the jack is extended high on top of lots of wood blocks. The disconnect is so violent.

My other trailers disconnect with ease and without any fan fare.
2015 Jayco Eagle 314TSBH
2015 Ford F-250 CC SB PSD
BruteForceNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #15
Maybe the locking mechanism is too tight. I would check the play when hooked up. Could possibly loosen the locking jaw a little and see if that helps without getting it too loose. Do you also have problems engaging the hitch???

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #16
One recommendation I didn't see was a "liberal" shot of WD-40. I greased up the ball and it still wasn't as smooth as I wanted it to be. A good shot of lubricant on the hitch and my problem went bye-bye. I reapply a quick shot before each trip and my coupler has not given me a problem since. Plus the grease is still there so I don't have any squeak.
Northwoods Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #17
I was thinking lock adjustment too tight also.

I like WD-40 for many things. It often works to combine and soften up older grease and crud. I've learned to first apply the grease or heavier oil and then use the WD-40. I've found that if the WD-40 is used first it often interferes with the grease sticking where you want it.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #18
What is missing in the posts so far, is any idea about what might be different with the hitch system used on Jayco TT's. My 2014 W hawk has the same problem. Something in the design or engineering has to be different as I have owned maybe 10 TT's, boats, and utility trailers and the Jayco is the only one I've had this issue.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
Bassdogs, that is exactly my question. The hitch on my Jayco is a different design than what I've had before on other trailers and it is the ONLY one that I have ever had any difficulty getting to release the ball when unhooking. So what is different? I think I'll contact Jayco and ask these questions.

Thanks everyone for the replies and if I find a better way to unhook I'll let you know.
BCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
I have this issue as well. I've done the WD 40 and grease. Didn't seem to help. Best solution I've found is a large screwdriver. I have a slot in my hitch on the forward side of the locking lever. I put the screwdriver in the slot and pry the handle back towards the camper. When starting, the screwdriver Is in the vertical position. Just need a bit of leverage. Pops off every time with little to no effort. Just the leverage. The screwdriver pushes the lock forward (towards the vehicle) and up. It is next to impossible to do by hand.

tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote