Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

How to store gas/gas generators in trailer

I need tips on how to store gas and gas generators when you leave your campsite and don't want to take them with you. We are planning a trip to the Orlando Fl area and will be going to the usual Orlando theme parks. We can't really leave them in the back of the truck or out at the campsite. Main concern is the gas fumes and how to prevent that.
saTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #2

How to store gas/gas generators in trailer

I put a cover on my truck bed. The tailgate locks with truck doors.

I also have a cable with a lock running through both Hondas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #3

What brand and model generator? What size fuel tank?

Personally I would leave them at the trailer outside. As for the generator I would lock it with a good quality chain and lock. Some generators have avaliable aftermarket locking system.

Google "Honda 2000 generator lock" there are two models that look good. Then click images.

As for the fuel tank, if it is small enough slip it between the tt tires out of sight. I haul my small 2-3 gallon tank inside an old milk crate. It keeps if from tipping over, and a little less noticeable.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #4

thanks

Still in planning phase will be a pair of 2000 size generators. Thinking of Briggs and Stratton but still might get Honda or Yamaha since they have better longevity.

Might just go without since I'm looking at reserving campsites in advance.
saTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTx View Post
I need tips on how to store gas and gas generators when you leave your campsite and don't want to take them with you. We are planning a trip to the Orlando Fl area and will be going to the usual Orlando theme parks. We can't really leave them in the back of the truck or out at the campsite. Main concern is the gas fumes and how to prevent that.
Welcome to the forum.

I have a latching, fabric tonneau cover, locking tailgate, and left our Champion 75531i (3100watt) generator strapped in the truck bed - out of sight, out of mind security.

I left my 3-gallon(?) and 1-gallon gasoline cans at the trailer in an ordinary plastic storage container. The newer gasoline cans are non-vented so there were no fumes with the plastic storage container closed. I slid the container under my trailer, near the rear door, with old shoes and sandals sitting on top.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

We did like Mbranscum - used the 'toy lock' cable to lock the Hondas to the trailer and left them at the camp site, or put them in the bed of the truck and put down the "bakflip" bed cover, which locked to the tailgate.

A good chain and padlock through the generator handles and around the landing jacks should do the trick if you don't have the built-in 'toy lock' option.

Otherwise, the basement or front compartment (which was pre-wired for a generator in our 5th wheel and therefore ventilated) would be the next best place.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote