Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #11
Thanks for the reply. I won't be going deep back woods, mostly just forest service campground or off forest service roads, but you never know when there will be a gully washer that makes it tough to get out. I have a 40W solar unit that I can use to add a little juice to the battery, plus I will be getting a generator so maybe the stock battery will be enough for awhile.

Boostn2BCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
tdekeyser1, sweet setup you having going on there! Man, that trailer almost looks lifted hahahah!

I am new to camping, but always been into offroading. I think combining to two would be sweet!

It looks like your truck is working out for you. But if you ever feel the need for a 3/4 ton, I would highly consider Rams's PW. It's a jack of all trades, and by far the most off road oriented truck straight from the factory. Front and rear electronic locking diff's, electronic disconnecting sway bar, flexy suspension, 12,000 pound warn winch hidden behind the front bumper, meaty 33's (can fit 35's stock), 4.10 gears (4.56 for 2013 and back)... all stock from the factory, with a full warranty. But dont plan on getting too much above single digits for gas mileage hahaha!

2016 Jayflight 28BHBE Elite
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Power Wagon (4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 gears).

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Thanks for these posts. I used to off-road and break trucks often. I will not be trying any of the stuff you are, however find the topic fun to follow.

Please post some pics of the campsites if you have time.
2010 Jayco Feather Sport 22'6" (sold)DrawTite,12,000 lbs. 2017 Jayco 212 QBW BAJA (bought)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT SCab 4x4 Tow Package
"If you can't be smart; be stubborn.". DG.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #14
Let's talk about the dangers...

It actually is quite dangerous - what I'm doing. Now, I'm very comfortable with dangerous activities and motorsports, so don't try to follow me unless you are prepared. Here are the top reasons you should be prepared.

1) You are going to areas where there is NO cell phone coverage.
2) You could be far from any paved road. Plan on walking miles and miles to reach another human. I can walk about 5 miles before I just can't take it anymore. I have tested that a few times....so I know how far out I can safely be.
3) You could get stuck - very easily. Can tow truck get to you? Probably not. AARP, USAA, AAA all will hang up on you when you tell them where you are...hahahaha!
4) There are big, dangerous animals, but I don't put too much worry into this one.
5) Escaped convicts - you never know who you might run into out there.
6) Slippery, muddy, wet hills. UPHILL and DOWNHILL. You have to think about what I go UP, can I come DOWN?
7) Cliffs - I often tow on dirt roads in the mountains, that have no rail or safety...lol! You could slide right off the side and tumble over and over, exploding in a FIREBALL at the bottom because you are towing liquid fuel that has ruptured onto the exhaust pipes! If you slip in this game, you are dead.

Anybody wanna try my style of 4X4 boondocking??
Attached Thumbnails
courgr.jpg   DSC0074.jpg   DSC00872.jpg   DSC00913.jpg  

2016 Jayco Baja 185RB
2007 Lifted Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4
tdekeyser1 is offline   Reply With Quote