Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

Jayco NEW TIME LOST policy for warranty work

Hey folks....I also wanted to pass along some information (everyone has helped me already on here just from reading posts)...I own a 2017 Jayco 32BDSW...still under full factory warranty. I've had it for only 8 months, but have had it in the shop twice (still there)...the dealership has had it this second time for 7 weeks!!! My family and I had to cancel our Memorial Day trip, and now the kids are out of school...and we wanted to use it multiple times this summer. I said all that, to say this. I called Jayco's customer support...I explained to them I've got a "NEW" camper, only 8 months old...and its been in a shop for over 7 weeks now "JUST FOR WARRANTY WORK". I was informed they are starting a new "Lost Time" program where they compensate you in some form for your camper being down....this program is so new I was told, that I don't know exactly what the compensation is. Payments made, insurance premiums covered...I'm not sure; but for anyone out there in my position....call Jayco and ask about this.
hardycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

For us nothing can replace lost time with family and friends. A weekend lost camping or more would drive me crazy.

Hopefully they can sort your warranty work out. There is nothing that should take 7 weeks to repair. The only compensation that would make me happy would be a loaner camper to fill the need.

Sorry for your troubles and hopefully you will feel satisfied with the outcome of the new policy.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

I completely agree with multiple points made. I was a bit agitated when I had to cancel my Holiday weekend plans. I've considered asking Jayco to purchase the unit back, and possibly buy another Jayco product from a different dealer. I feel the dealer is the problem....every product has issues...the warranty issues were minor in nature. I've tried to get my unit into another Jayco dealer for service...but around the Memphis area, they don't like taking units in if you didn't buy it there.

Been at a loss the last month....I'm hoping to get it back this coming week.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #4

I decided to fix the few relatively minor issues I have experienced so far myself. I avoid dealers like the plague. Dreading the day I have a major component failure and don't want to spring for the parts cost...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #5

Hind sight is certainly 20/20...I also agree with your mentality of avoiding dealers. I've even tried to get them to ship me the parts, and let me fix them. That was a HUGE no no....Had I known all the problems I would have run into in order to get my unit worked on, I would have opted for another dealer for sure.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #6

That sounds like a bummer, sorry to hear about that. I have found that Jayco is pretty good and quick about authorizing repairs and getting parts out... its up to the dealer to get them ordered and installed though. I am very fortunate to have a really good dealer (Keystone Mega Rv in Greencastle, PA) that has been amazing for us. We had a couple of minor things that needed fixing (leaking low points, small leak under kitchen sink, lots of condensation from the fridge, etc) and a major problem (bathtub drain was loose, leaked water into undercarriage and soaked the insulation).

We took it to them in June, between 2 trips. We asked them to simply remove wet insulation and document the other issues so we could bring it back in the offseason. We explained that we had a trip upcoming and needed it back in 2 weeks. A week later we were called that the camper was done.... DONE... they had fixed everything that was wrong. We were amazed and very happy with our dealer!

I hope that you get a quick and acceptable resolution to your issues. I would have seen if they had a used camper you could take for the trip. That is quite upsetting to have a planned trip and have to cancel. Try to keep things in perspective though... we have problems that millions of people in this world would LOVE to have!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #7

we have problems that millions of people in this world would LOVE to have!

Well said.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardycamper View Post
Hind sight is certainly 20/20...I also agree with your mentality of avoiding dealers. I've even tried to get them to ship me the parts, and let me fix them. That was a HUGE no no....Had I known all the problems I would have run into in order to get my unit worked on, I would have opted for another dealer for sure.
My dealer has been great getting Jayco to send warranty parts direct to me, usually takes about two weeks after I send my salesman pictures of the problem. The last item arrived in a huge box, I had paint chipping off the entry door on the outside. Jayco shipped the door and frame along with a decal kit. I think most dealer service departments are lazy, they don't care if your TT sits on their lot all summer, they are slow to order parts, and don't have to answer to anyone. I am glad my TT has never gone in for warranty service.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #9

Mashburn's RV?

Although this will not help your current situation, we have used Mashburn's RV in Jonesboro, Arkansas for over 15 years - for purchasing and repairs. Great people and quick service. Their RV prices are very competitive. About 2 hours from Dyersburg. I hope your issues get repaired soon and you have smooth sailing from then on out.
firerescue712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I hope that you get a quick and acceptable resolution to your issues. I would have seen if they had a used camper you could take for the trip. That is quite upsetting to have a planned trip and have to cancel. Try to keep things in perspective though... we have problems that millions of people in this world would LOVE to have!
Although this is a less stressful type of logic, I can't say that I completely agree with it. It's like saying, since we work hard and can afford to do the things we do, we should be ok with other people doing sub-par work and providing sub-par service. Of course, there are going to be problems with things, that is the nature of the beast. However, continuing to allow it to be ok and not holding those responsible accountable, only lets things continue to get worse. I'm not saying kicking and screaming is the answer, but saying "we have problems that millions of people in this world would LOVE to have!" isn't either.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescue712 View Post
Although this will not help your current situation, we have used Mashburn's RV in Jonesboro, Arkansas for over 15 years - for purchasing and repairs. Great people and quick service. Their RV prices are very competitive. About 2 hours from Dyersburg. I hope your issues get repaired soon and you have smooth sailing from then on out.

firerescue712 - I appreciate your letting me know about Mashburn's RV. I didn't even know it was there. I was actually looking for other dealers around me Mayfield KY, Jackson, TN....etc. trying to find another dealer to help me in the future. I find myself close to Jonesboro often for work. I will certainly stop by....If I could just find somewhere (its not going to be often) that will fix what needs to be fixed in a more timely manner I'd be happy.
Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #12

I too have a 2017 BDSW, had it bout 5 months, what kind of warranty issues are you having with it.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #13

Well I've owned mine since October 2016...all but lived in it for close to 5 months so I got to get well antiquated with my camper. These are the problems I've had:
1. Surface cracks in the kitchen sink
2. Trim molding coming loose in the bathroom around the counter-top (T Molding)
3. H2O Heater igniter went out (NO ELECTRIC BACKUP ON THIS MODEL FOR SOME STUPID REASON....my fathers 1988 model has gas and electric heating abilities!!!)
4. Lights started going out...(got too hot, all the LED lights in my unit are on recall as of this month June 2017)
5. Black tank valve was allowing fluids to pass and holding back solids....made it hard to get the tank clean after we used the unit.
6. Futon / Gaming cushion in the back slide out bunk area had a tear. (Dealer claims these are on back order for the last 6 months. I call Jayco, and they are drop shipping me one....so much for back order huh?)

I've had A LOT of time to inspect things on this unit.....I'm just hoping nothing else goes out, or messes up....the dealer I purchased from isn't interested in ANYTHING except selling them....service is just a suggestion I suppose!
Old 06-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #14

I'm another one that takes mine back to the dealer only as a last resort.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #15

The fact that they are even considering a "Lost Time" policy tells me that they know there is an issue getting warranty work completed. My question is are they addressing that issue or putting a band-aid on the whole thing. I would prefer they work on; 1) product quality from the line and then; 2) developing a wider network of approved repair facilities for getting warranty, or out of warranty, work done.

Just my $.02
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #16

I can say this. Most dealers are useless and feed u BS. Jayco customer service though is fantastic. They have always returned calls and e mails and have handled any problem I have had.
Be nice if they would just add shop time to your warranty. I would have an additional six months
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #17

NismoGriff, Not piling it on, but you are absolutely correct. Every product does NOT have problems. These are toys, and as such, overpriced. They should perform as advertised. And Jayco needs to work on its dealers. Now, with Thor in the picture, I have more reason to hang on to our 2011 Eagle.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #18

Question: (because I'm reading a lot of this on FB forum)

Do you folks think the Jayco quality has suffered since the Thor acquisition?
I have one the last Jayco's, built 1/2016, 5 months before the buyout, so I don't have a 'Thor' Jayco. But from what I've been seeing here, I don't believe that Thor has negatively affected Jayco. Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #19

Mine's a pre-Thor Jayco, too... but I'm wondering how much more prosperous RV manufacturers would be if they just slowed down a little and made sure each step of the process was done right the first time, and the materials, components, and tires were up to snuff....
Old 06-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #20

Well just for an update.....I was contacted this morning by the dealer. My TT is ready to go. 7 weeks deep into minor fixes that a regular person with enough sense to wipe his own tail could have fixed in 2 easy. Spoke with Jayco this morning, and they offered apologizes for the time it has taken, no speak of any other compensation and or condolences.

I'm exhausted with the run around....exhausted with the back and forth. It would do the industry wonders if there were independent, local, and strategic locations across the country that would strictly do service work...there may be, I'm now aware of any in this part of the country. My opinion.....if a business' bottom line was strictly service, repairs, and getting people like me in and out WITHOUT the "safety blanket" of sales they would do A LOT more than regular dealers to help the customers.

As far at Thor, Caption America or any other superhero acquisitions of the RV industry....I've been as mad as the Hulk throughout all of this crap!