Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2023, 08:18 AM   #1

Maine

Want to leave Suffolk, VA and go to Maine. I want to avoid I 95 and New York city. I want to stay near the coast some and the mountains. I do like reviews on the Red Apple campground in Maine. Has anybody got any tips? Will be two older people and pet, no kids. Maybe cental Penn. and New York state. Timing will be late May/early June.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:13 PM   #2

Your best bet might be to go inland from Suffolk to I-81. Follow I-81 to Scranton, PA then go northeast on I-84 to I-495 around Boston. Then take I-95 north along the coast to Maine. If you really want to see Maine, take US-1 north. But be aware that it will be slow going.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #3

I second the I-81 to I-84 to I-495 to I-95 route. We live in SE PA, head up through the Delaware Water Gap on US 209, then catch I-84 at Milford.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:23 AM   #4

Yep, that is the route we used in August on our way to Bar Harbor...set the cruise and go!
Pine Lake RV Resort in Sturbridge is a very nice place to stay on the way.
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Toad
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90
stu stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:27 AM   #5

We are planning a similar trip but haven’t finalized the route yet. We live in Louisa, VA so 522 -> 66 -> 81 is on our proposed route.

If you find yourself out here in Mineral, give me a holler.
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 07:46 AM   #6

Red Apple Campground might be nice. We who live in Maine above Portland think of that area as an extesion of Massachusetts. I rarely go south of Portland unless it is to go to Connecticut or Florida.

For 25 years we have used 81 to Scranton ( the stretch between Hazleton and Scranton is just packed with trucks so go during the day) and then 84 across through Newburgh NY and then through Hartford . Pick up 90 at Sturbridge for a short stretch and get off at Auburn and take 290 through Worcester MA and pick up 495 in Marlboro. Take that to 195 just below the NH border.

People tend to do dumb things on 84 in CT between Danbury and Waterbury. There really is no good alternate route so just wait it out.. About a third of the time someone has had a crash.

Should you need to go further in Maine on Rt 1 I have Wiscasset avoidance tips. We have never waited in its infamous traffic. Most of that route is not even on the water except at river crossings.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
People tend to do dumb things on 84 in CT between Danbury and Waterbury. There really is no good alternate route so just wait it out.. About a third of the time someone has had a crash.

Wow, is that ever true. Last couple years I've started going around Hartford using I-691, then I-91 and rt. 15, comes out on the east side of Hartford. It's a little longer, but it saves my nerves. But there's no getting around Danbury and Waterbury.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Wow, is that ever true. Last couple years I've started going around Hartford using I-691, then I-91 and rt. 15, comes out on the east side of Hartford. It's a little longer, but it saves my nerves. But there's no getting around Danbury and Waterbury.

Roger
except Hartford usually isn't any trouble. Its that stretch between Danbury and Waterbury. Granted the many s turns in the Hartford area might not be much fun in an RV if you aren't from the area but we used to live near there before our escape to Maine a quarter century ago.. Still have family in the area.

691 -91 interchange can be a mess and Rt 15( Berlin Turnpike) seems to have many more lights than before. However the ramp to 15 from 91 across the CT river has been rerouted alleviating traffic backups. In any case in this area Waze is your friend to stay flexible.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 11-22-2023, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Red Apple Campground might be nice. We who live in Maine above Portland think of that area as an extesion of Massachusetts. I rarely go south of Portland unless it is to go to Connecticut or Florida.

For 25 years we have used 81 to Scranton ( the stretch between Hazleton and Scranton is just packed with trucks so go during the day) and then 84 across through Newburgh NY and then through Hartford . Pick up 90 at Sturbridge for a short stretch and get off at Auburn and take 290 through Worcester MA and pick up 495 in Marlboro. Take that to 195 just below the NH border.

Should you need to go further in Maine on Rt 1 I have Wiscasset avoidance tips. We have never waited in its infamous traffic. Most of that route is not even on the water except at river crossings.
I second the Red Apple campground stay, if not the nicest, cleanest, well equipped park we've ever stayed at I don't know where there is one better! Make sure you get the fresh lobster dinner delivered to your site!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I second the I-81 to I-84 to I-495 to I-95 route. We live in SE PA, head up through the Delaware Water Gap on US 209, then catch I-84 at Milford.

Roger
If you are going through the Delaware Water Gap, I'd recommend stopping for a break at The Village Farmer & Bakery in the town of Delaware Water Gap. Strange name but they make great pastries, chicken pot pies, and pies of all varieties, my favorite is the wet bottom shoofly pie! Lots of other stuff but all made there in the bake shop.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Your best bet might be to go inland from Suffolk to I-81. Follow I-81 to Scranton, PA then go northeast on I-84 to I-495 around Boston. Then take I-95 north along the coast to Maine. If you really want to see Maine, take US-1 north. But be aware that it will be slow going.
I've done most of this three times. US-1 each time. We will do it again.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I've done most of this three times. US-1 each time. We will do it again.
not slow going now! It's quite possible to get a ticket for speeding in Wiscasset!
Summer we take 95 to Bangor and 1a down to Ellsworth which is becoming icky
We are careful through Holden as people seem to get in fatal crashes weekly in the summer
Old 11-22-2023, 07:47 PM   #13

Consider Wild Duck Campground 39 Dunstan Landing Rd, Scarborough, ME 04074 which is about half hour north (off Rt 1) of Red Apple CG.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:12 PM   #14

I have a seasonal site near Bar Harbor. Once in Maine route 1 stays next to the Atlantic Ocean. I use 95 straight to Bar Harbor but you can deviate once past Portland to route 1. Belfast and the small towns on route 1 are beautiful. Once past Fort Knox head to Ellsworth if you want to see mountains to Acadia Natl park. I have a seasonal site at the Timberlands off route 3. This will take you to Mount Dessert Island and straight to Acadia Natl park if you want mountains. This place is phenomenal. Will be back there Memorial Day weekend to reopen the trailer. I can give you lots of tips once in Ellsworth and also there is Lemoine State Park I need to visit and on my list of things to do. Lobster is over rated but there are better deals for lobster dinners once off the island. The best one is near a bakery on route 3. OMG you are going to see lots of great things to do once in Maine. This will be my 3rd summer there. The Timberlands reopen in May. Enjoy the trip. It is a whole different world there. Happy trails.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 04:53 AM   #15

C'mon up!

Folks have given you the right routing to get here, and those of us that live here do think of everything along the coast south of Portland as being an extension of MA & NH. Looking to spend some time near Freeport but away from the crowds, take a look at Wolfe's Neck Campground (not the adjacent State Park, which is wonderful but has no camping). One of our favorites for a getaway is The Moorings Campground in Searsport; pricey, but great location. If you want to go to the northern most part of the state, Aroostook County, check out Arndt's Lodge and Campground - we go there every August for the Balloon Festival in Presque Isle! Bar Harbor is very crowded, but for camping a less-known part of Acadia National Park is the Schoodic Peninsula side. Anyway, loads of opportunities here in Maine, and we hope you enjoy it.
HomeBaseMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM   #16

Quote:

Kim, we hate going through Worcester on I-290, because of traffic and S-turns -- even in a car. Taking I-90 straight to I-495 is worth the couple extra minutes/miles (290 is the hypotenuse of the triangle).
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:54 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to viking42
Traveling to Maine from Virginia

I just found this thread in my spam so I hope my answers are still relevant. In the winter or near freezing weather I would not go thru Scranton since the areas elevation. We encountered freezing rain there when it was just rain in the lower elevations. I live in Bucksport ME and travel US one to route 3 to Augusta and I95 which is Exist 113. That cuts off a lot of time rather than going thru Bangor. You can go to Bar Harbor this way or pick up Route 46 North to 1A or further North to Route 9 that takes you to Canada. When we go South we bypass I-290 and go straight to I-90. We usually stay overnight at Cabelas in East Hartford. It’s free but that’s a joke because we can’t keep ourselves from spending a bunch in the store. I guess that’s the whole idea. If anyone has questions about the area please feel free to private message me.
viking42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking42 View Post
I just found this thread in my spam so I hope my answers are still relevant. In the winter or near freezing weather I would not go thru Scranton since the areas elevation. We encountered freezing rain there when it was just rain in the lower elevations. I live in Bucksport ME and travel US one to route 3 to Augusta and I95 which is Exist 113. That cuts off a lot of time rather than going thru Bangor. You can go to Bar Harbor this way or pick up Route 46 North to 1A or further North to Route 9 that takes you to Canada. When we go South we bypass I-290 and go straight to I-90. We usually stay overnight at Cabelas in East Hartford. It’s free but that’s a joke because we can’t keep ourselves from spending a bunch in the store. I guess that’s the whole idea. If anyone has questions about the area please feel free to private message me.
yah if I lived in Bucksport I wouldn't backtrack through Ellsworth either. Bucksport and Belfast are wonderful towns to visit.

We have been going to Florida since 2005 in Jan or Feb and have not had an issue with freezing rain in Scranton. Yes its cold usually! We park in a truck parking lot next to a motel in Wilkes Barre. With increasing old age now we cut driving that first day to six hours and hole up in Matamoras on 84.

I am just not a fan of 684 or 287. 684 to 287 will get you to I 80 or 78
though

As always stay flexible when weather or traffic changes.

It doesn't help that I like Dysarts ( I 95 exit 180). Truck stop with of course good food and fast fueling.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 12-14-2023, 08:23 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to viking42
Maine

I agree with Kim, can’t go past Dysart’s. We almost always take 287& 87 to 78. I hate it but we stay in College Park, Cherry Hill campground because my wife’s family lives near there. DC is terrible to drive thru kind of like Chicago. We used to stay at an all night Walmart and a Sam’s near Newburgh I think the town is Fish Kill. Trouble is it’s a little too far the first day.
viking42 is offline   Reply With Quote