Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I'm confused by the tire payload rating provided. From the sidewall? Of the TV or TT?
In either case, it seems to me that you are exceeding the tire capacity on the steer axle (and drive axle unless duallies), or if that is the trailer capacity, then it is being exceeded there too.
It's the "combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed..." number from the yellow tire sticker in the door jam. I think the axle capacities are ok given the trucks GAWR numbers, but at 1620 tongue weight plus 300 lbs of two passengers and a few other things thrown in the truck, I would be a bit over payload capacity and will need to review my packing strategy.

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
It's the "combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed..." number from the yellow tire sticker in the door jam. I think the axle capacities are ok given the trucks GAWR numbers, but at 1620 tongue weight plus 300 lbs of two passengers and a few other things thrown in the truck, I would be a bit over payload capacity and will need to review my packing strategy.
Ah, got it. Just haven't seen it stated that way.

That number doesn't seem to jibe with what your weights are telling you though. Your GVW should really be your front and rear GAWR combined, but it is lower as stated. Your payload or CCC should be the GVW minus curb weight.

Assuming your truck was fully loaded and had passengers already onboard when you crossed the scales, the stated number is too low. I would worry most about the two GAWR ratings above anything else, and you are fine on both of those with or without the WDH bars engaged.

Agree with Rustic Eagle though that you want your steer axle to come out to about the same weight after WDH as unloaded so that your vehicle handles properly. I had to make some fairly large changes to my hitch head angle (more washers) to get the weights where I wanted them. The dealer did a horrible job with initial setup (no surprise there), but following the WDH directions I got it dialled in easily. It would be nice if the dealer would actually follow the manufacturer directions...

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post

Agree with Rustic Eagle though that you want your steer axle to come out to about the same weight after WDH as unloaded so that your vehicle handles properly. I had to make some fairly large changes to my hitch head angle (more washers) to get the weights where I wanted them. The dealer did a horrible job with initial setup (no surprise there), but following the WDH directions I got it dialled in easily. It would be nice if the dealer would actually follow the manufacturer directions...
Definitely. I had zero faith in the dealer setting it up so I've been doing a lot of research and finally had a good time to weigh in. Will be making adjustments and re-weigh next time out.

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Also, if your TV has the OEM 2 1/2" receiver pin box, please note that using a 2" pin box insert to accommodate a 2" draw bar reduces the TV's OEM receiver's stamped WDH weight rating capacity.....

Rustic, I've wondered about that. My reasoning is due to the extra slop that occurs with the bloody adapter. I absolutely hate that darn thing, it makes the connection just too loose. And subsequently, the slop has translated into slight oblonging of the pin holes.

I've attempted to move up to a 2.5 inch draw bar, but the Reese Titan that Etrailer carries did not offer enough drop for my setup. I would have had to look into an axle flip.

So my next thought is to weld the adapter onto my 2" draw bar. So you suppose a welded sleeve/draw bar assembly would undo the de-rating?

Back to the thread: I also agree the front axle on the truck should "see" the same load that it normally sees while unloaded. The heavy springs of a one ton will not react like a half ton, so the 50% measurement isn't the best approach when dialing in a WDH.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Rustic, I've wondered about that. My reasoning is due to the extra slop that occurs with the bloody adapter. I absolutely hate that darn thing, it makes the connection just too loose. And subsequently, the slop has translated into slight oblonging of the pin holes.

I've attempted to move up to a 2.5 inch draw bar, but the Reese Titan that Etrailer carries did not offer enough drop for my setup. I would have had to look into an axle flip.
Look into this one, I know you mentioned you have the Reese but a lot of the shanks are interchangeable with other brands. Big thing is the hole spacing. This one works fine with my Ram 2500 4x4, which I think is higher than the OEM GM's, my Axles are underslung and the nose is slightly down. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0-02-4900.html Curt makes a shank too that I think would have done the trick. I bet e-trailer can tell you if this will work or not.

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Craig,

I agree, those 2" inserts play havoc on 2 1/2" receiver pin boxes.

Quote:
snip..... I've attempted to move up to a 2.5 inch draw bar, but the Reese Titan that Etrailer carries did not offer enough drop for my setup.......snip
I purchased the CURT 2 1/2" shank that tapered to accepted my REESE 15k ball mount a couple months ago for my TV. I did have to incorporate a two shims (.010 & .020)...., but that can happen with any ball mount/shank combination.

I "believe" using my GM 2" insert with my GM OEM 2 1/2" receiver gave me only 1,200lbs maximum, and I have a 1,300lb loaded tongue weight.

CURT Shank: CURT Manufacturing - CURT Weight Distribution Shank #17128

CURT Shank @ etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C17128.html

My JOF ball mount/shank shim thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...y-38323-2.html

Quote:
snip.....So my next thought is to weld the adapter onto my 2" draw bar. So you suppose a welded sleeve/draw bar assembly would undo the de-rating?.......snip
Good question, and I don't have a good answer.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #17

Thanks guys, maybe I'll try curt. I actually ordered and had shipped the Titan, only to have to ship it back, And 35 pound packages don't ship cheap.

My GM with the Z71 package appears to be high, but I agree: rams do sometimes appear even higher.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #18

If you have coil springs SD truck supply makes an air bag from air lift that fits inside the spring works great.

stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote