Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

Angry New Trailer Power Problems

I have a shiny-new Jay Flight SLX 195RB that I just purchased and brought home this week. Even with absolutely nothing turned on (no lights, water pump switched off, no 12-volt fridge, radio off, etc.), a fully-charged battery is completely dead within twelve hours.

Yes, I have contacted the dealer and am awaiting on a response from their service department but I was wondering, in the meantime, if anyone has seen something like this before and knows what to look for. Curious as to whether or not I'm just missing something simple.

Again, absolutely no load whatsoever and a dead battery in 12 hours. I have tried two different deep-cycle marine/RV batteries to verify that I just didn't have a faulty battery.

Any thoughts?
NavyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #2

So the other 2 batteries and nothing worked with them? Then its probably not the battery and most likely a fuse..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

This is a long shot but..
I had the same issue on an old camper once and that problem was a heating element on the refrigerator that was suppose to be like a defrost. There was an actual switch in the door that I didn't know was on and drained my battery.
Honestly, I don't think the new refrigerators have that but wouldn't hurt to look.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #4

Something has a pull on the battery. It's the only explanation. But what is the question.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
So the other 2 batteries and nothing worked with them? Then its probably not the battery and most likely a fuse..
I think you may have read that wrong (or perhaps I didn't pose the question well enough).

Everything works just fine. The batteries DIE within 12 hours with no load on them.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #6

This is a long shot, but the only two things that I can think of that can pull enough power to drain a battery in 12 hours is the furnace fan being on. Which would be very noticeable, so I doubt that is it. The next thing I would look at is the emergency brake actuator. On my unit it is the curly red cable that connects to the hitch assembly. If the “plug” in the black box is pulled, it applies full power to the TT’s electric brakes. There is no harm in pulling the plug and actuating the brakes, so pull the cord at the plug and see if it pulls out or is already pulled out. Then push it back in, all they way, to reset it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
....If the “plug” in the black box is pulled, it applies full power to the TT’s electric brakes. There is no harm in pulling the plug and actuating the brakes, so pull the cord at the plug and see if it pulls out or is already pulled out. Then push it back in, all they way, to reset it.
WAIT, WHAT???

Seriously? If the brake actuator is pulled it draws constant power from the 12-volt battery to apply the emergency brakes?

My pin has been pulled since the day I brought it home. I'll have to test this out tonight and report back tomorrow if it solves the problem.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #8

sounds like you may have just solved the problem.
But why was the pin pulled out?
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
sounds like you may have just solved the problem.
But why was the pin pulled out?
We picked it up from the dealership on Friday night. They really didn't attach the wire lanyard properly to my truck and it is WAY too long so, instead of just letting it dangle in my driveway, I pulled it out and threw it in my truck until I have the time to fix it.

I guess that an electromagnetic actuator for the brake system makes perfect sense, but I just completely didn't think of that.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMustang View Post
We picked it up from the dealership on Friday night. They really didn't attach the wire lanyard properly to my truck and it is WAY too long so, instead of just letting it dangle in my driveway, I pulled it out and threw it in my truck until I have the time to fix it.

I guess that an electromagnetic actuator for the brake system makes perfect sense, but I just completely didn't think of that.
You think having it pulled while parked is bad, try having it accidently yanked while getting the trailer out of a tight spot!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #11

That is a good reason to disconnect or remove the fuse for the battery when not plugged into sure power or in storage.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:

Is it electromagnetic? To me it looks like a piece of plastic that interrupts two metal contacts that complete a circuit when the plastic is pulled out. Unless they make them more sophisticated now
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Is it electromagnetic? To me it looks like a piece of plastic that interrupts two metal contacts that complete a circuit when the plastic is pulled out. Unless they make them more sophisticated now
The brakes are electromagnetic.....not the switch.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
The brakes are electromagnetic.....not the switch.
Yes, they been used in trailers since at least the 1950's
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #15

safety cable.

Quote:
WAIT, WHAT???

Seriously? If the brake actuator is pulled it draws constant power from the 12-volt battery to apply the emergency brakes?

My pin has been pulled since the day I brought it home. I'll have to test this out tonight and report back tomorrow if it solves the problem.
I hope you didn't try to drive it with the pin pulled.

In the future when you hook up to tow, make sure you hook this cable to your truck in a way that is independent of the hitch and safety chains.

I have seen this cable just looped around the hitch ball, or threaded in with one of the chains, or just hooked to one of the chain links.

This switch is your last safety to keep a runaway trailer from injuring others.

The only accident I ever witnessed was 40 years ago. A car and a too-heavy trailer spun 180deg, and rolled 1-1/2 times. The car's bumper, hitch, and rear axle separated and stayed with the trailer. Thankfully, everyone walked away. I have never forgotten and now find a spot on the truck to hook the cable that won't be under stress should the trailer separate.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
I hope you didn't try to drive it with the pin pulled.

In the future when you hook up to tow, make sure you hook this cable to your truck in a way that is independent of the hitch and safety chains.

I have seen this cable just looped around the hitch ball, or threaded in with one of the chains, or just hooked to one of the chain links.

This switch is your last safety to keep a runaway trailer from injuring others.

The only accident I ever witnessed was 40 years ago. A car and a too-heavy trailer spun 180deg, and rolled 1-1/2 times. The car's bumper, hitch, and rear axle separated and stayed with the trailer. Thankfully, everyone walked away. I have never forgotten and now find a spot on the truck to hook the cable that won't be under stress should the trailer separate.

Tim
That has bugged me too.

I currently pull the pin and loop the lanyard back on itself through the hole for one of the safety chains. Knowing full well that if the hitch separates from the truck, the lanyard will not be pulled.

What part of the tow vehicle do you suggest to tie to? What do you use to extend the lanyard that came with the switch?

Thanks,
Mike

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Site Team

Mike, The original cable style lanyard on ours was way too long, so we got a coiled one from the dealer, put a medium size carabiner on the TV side, and clip it to the hitch right next to the safety chain. The brand is Fastway, and they come in 4' or 6' lengths. that's stretched. I got the 4', and guessed right for a change.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
I hope you didn't try to drive it with the pin pulled...
Oh heavens no! I know what it is for, just simply didn't realize that a constant 12 volts was applied when the pin was pulled!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #19

Your battery may be toast now as well. Or severely down on capacity. They don't like getting totally drained. It will still work for you if you have plug in sites everywhere you go though.
A good charger with equalization stage may get you a fair bit of capacity back though. Not the trailer converter!

Glad you figured out your issue.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #20

When I hook up the safety cable, I run over the top of my equalizer bar to ensure that it can not drag or get caught on something.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phantom load, power, power drain