Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #1

Norcold N306 Fridge in Jayco 145RB (2016)

I'm not asking for anything, just telling my story...

I bought a 2016 Jayco in August 2016. I've been staying in it 95% of the time. They don't want to hear that because this is a "weekender" camper.

Anyway, in April 2017, I was in the Orlando area... and my A/C just wasn't cooling the place down and it wasn't too terribly hot yet. Ok, it was hot... but the A/C had been doing great.

Well, I'm usually gone and came back... I went to get something from under the sink and it was like 600 degrees in there... I could have baked a turkey or a cake or whatever.

Then I started smelling a weird smell too. I opened my fridge and everything was hot... the coolant was leaking from the fridge and the back of it was probably about to burn the trailer down. I unplugged the fridge and left because of the weird, sweet smell... Later I came back and the A/C was doing great since my Norcold time bomb wasn't ticking away anymore.

So... here we go...

JAYCO: we don't cover the fridge, that's why we give you the warranty registration and paperwork for the manufacturer.

NORCOLD: Take it to a dealer to get the problem verified... ok, they told me which one... I had to pack up everything and cram stuff in the back of our vehicle, etc...

SHOP: Yep, your fridge is toast... no one can work on it without removing it anyway... (no kidding)

NORCOLD: We will repair or replace the unit but we do not pay labor to remove it from the RV or install the new one in the RV.

(and this next part I already figured out because I didn't want to take the trailer in anyway and was considering other options.... this cost us six days in a hotel $$$$)...

SHOP: We can't replace it because this model does not fit through the door or any of the windows (yeah, this part... I already measured). Call Jayco.

JAYCO: Call Norcold....

ME: I had already measured this thing, the windows, and the door... it is 2" wider than the door opening. Maybe taking out the entire door and frame, destroying all the wood and trim and any seals? MAYBE IT WOULD FIT? The shop couldn't even answer that one... And Jayco didn't want to discuss it any further.

This fridge is made into the cabinets... the white inner liner comes forward and bends outward all the way around -- this flange on the liner is screwed into the wood of the cabinet... so remove the metal trim, unscrew this flange (not flexible, especially at the corners), disconnect the gas line, disconnect the power, take some screws out from the back of it... and pull it forward...

So, no help from Jayco, either shop we took it to, or Norcold... buying ICE every day, sometimes twice a day for more than 2 weeks... and eating out instead of keeping anything more than drinks in the trailer.

Now, we have an electric only mini-fridge... it gets cold much faster than the Norcold piece of crap fridge. Put some foam board around it and got some trim at home depot... I may redo it, I'm not 100% happy with it... but this was a quick, emergency swap... and by now it was really hot in Orlando.

Anyway, I took pliers and broke off the flange (in a bunch of pieces) from the sides of the fridge liner, took off all the trim and the "control panel" at the top... moved my cushions near the door so I didn't snag one... I forced the 2" or so narrower fridge through the opening... it was a tight fit but I got it out... found a brass cap for the gas line to take care of that problem --- don't want to mess with the distribution block underneath... everything has a real tough sealer on it and I didn't want to destroy the block, threads, etc and have nothing on gas.

Now, where do I get rid of this? Anyway, a maintenance guy just happened by and asked "what the h*** is going on"... I told him and he just said "figures!" He offered to dispose of it for me... which I learned later, he just threw it in the dumpster... probably not the right thing to do but I didn't do it.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #2

That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #3

tlm550
Are you saying Jayco and Norcold walked away from your problem? I would escalate this at Jayco. At least $$ are in order... Anyone else have this problem?
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #4

Wow, I am about to make a warranty claim on my 2016 154BH that has the same refrigerator. I don't have the overheating problem, but it will only run on electric, I can't get it to start on gas. I thought the 2 year warranty covered everything.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #5

Jayco's warranty on anything is completely worthless. My water pump worked one time for five minutes. I had to pay $70 to buy one from Amazon and replace it myself. They just kept giving me the runaround over the phone (Did you turn on the red switch on the wall, did you turn on the water in the sink or the shower, does the water tank have any water in it.... yep insulting questions over and over again)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #6

My fridge had the same problem. I couldn't get it to start on gas... I was doing everything right and then asked for help here. I tried again... Someone said to hold in the button (on the right) for 30 seconds before hitting the igniter... I was holding it 15 to 20 seconds. It fired up... but on gas it wouldn't get anything cold enough - judging this by canned soft drinks... the cans wouldn't even get 'cold' and it was 68 degrees inside the camper. I used it on gas for one day. I went back to electric... about a week later is when the whole thing died completely.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #7

Yep... they left me standing with a 2016 TT with a dead fridge that no one would touch. And with an awesome 2 year "warranty".
Old 07-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #8

I hear these horror stories and start worrying.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #9

What are you running in that thing now?
patrickgrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #10

Hopefully I won't have this guys problem.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...6-a-47895.html
patrickgrue is offline   Reply With Quote