Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

Overnight parking

I plan on taking my new Whitehawk to Florida this year. Will stop along the way from Maine. I want pull thru's. Don't want to disconnect the trailer.

Do you guys unplug the power cord to the truck? Do you jack up the front a bit to take pressure off the hitch? I assume you still plug in for 30 amp service.

Thanks.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #2

Yes to unplugging from the truck. No need to be plugged in if you have shore power.
And yes you can jack the front up a bit but it's not even necessary for a overnight stop. I did the same from NJ to FL earlier in the summer. Stayed at a bunch of koa's which were cheap and all had pull thrus. Many are right off of I95. GL on your trip.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #3

I would disconnect the truck 7-pin connector if I am plugging in to 120V.

Dropping the landing gear is not necessary for the truck but will provide stability for those staying in the trailer.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #4

We just returned from a trip from KS to TN. Stopped overnight on the way there and back. Used pull throughs for overnights and didn't unhitch. Disconnected the 7 pin plug from the TV, took the weight off the tongue, dropped the stabilizers for stability and connected to shore power for the air conditioner. Worked well. Ready to go in no time the next morning.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #5

When we went from Pennsylvania to Florida, Going down 95. We stayed in Walmart Parking lots. WE called ahead, talked with the manager and got the ok. Didn't have any problems.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

We also have a new Whitehawk. Only issue I've had when keeping connected to the truck overnight is making sure the TT is level, otherwise the refrigerator won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks all for your replies. One of my concerns was leaving the trailer plugged into the tv. So no one has ever had an issue impacting the tv battery?

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #8

Overnight parking

If you leave the trailer plugged into the tow vehicle, it can drain your tow vehicle battery. As others recommended, unplug from your tow vehicle.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico1971 View Post
We also have a new Whitehawk. Only issue I've had when keeping connected to the truck overnight is making sure the TT is level, otherwise the refrigerator won't work.

You can lower the tongue a little by releasing the tension bars. Can raise it a bit by just raising the rear of the TV using the tongue jack. In all the many
Wally W parking lots we have overnited in we have been able to find level places to park. Slightly off level won't mess up the fridge on an overnite.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #10

Yes, I adjust using the tongue jack. The issue is my driveway...seems like a slight slope, but enough to be a PITA so I don't release the tension bars as they are too difficult to get back on...and my TT fridge may be overly sensitive to being level as this has been an issue twice now for us.

Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #11

I agree with all who stated disconnect from the TV and I always take some of the weight off the rear of the truck. I was at my local Walmart the other evening and there must have been 20 campers there. Many were all setup with awnings out, stabs down etc. A few were even barbecuing. Not sure if it was a large group traveling together or not but that's the kind of behavior that ruins it for others...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico1971 View Post

You should be level or slightly nose low (On the trailer) when lowing, otherwise you are not set up correctly

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
You should be level or slightly nose low (On the trailer) when lowing, otherwise you are not set up correctly
Exactly what I was going to say. It provides for better towing, and the other benefit is that if you pull into a fairly level parking lot you can simply level the trailer just by using the tongue jack without unhooking anything (besides the 7-pin). If you are nose up you won't be towing safely and you will have to disconnect to level the trailer.

I'm big into checklists, so I also have one for departing the next morning after leaving the TV hooked up so I don't forget to hook the 7 pin back, raise the jack up, as well as a few other minor items. It seems obvious, but with the stress of traveling with kids it's easy to forget stuff...ask me how I know.

Disregard my profile picture, that was on my first trip with the new-to-me trailer and I didn't have everything adjusted yet. Fortunately it was only a 60 mile drive and I fixed it at the CG.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindone View Post
I'm big into checklists, so I also have one for departing the next morning after leaving the TV hooked up so I don't forget to hook the 7 pin back, raise the jack up, as well as a few other minor items. It seems obvious, but with the stress of traveling with kids it's easy to forget stuff...ask me how I know.

I am a Commercial Pilot so believe me.... I am a believer in using CHECKLIST!

We have checklist for camping as well.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 07-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindone View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. It provides for better towing, and the other benefit is that if you pull into a fairly level parking lot you can simply level the trailer just by using the tongue jack without unhooking anything (besides the 7-pin). If you are nose up you won't be towing safely and you will have to disconnect to level the trailer.

Disregard my profile picture, that was on my first trip with the new-to-me trailer and I didn't have everything adjusted yet. Fortunately it was only a 60 mile drive and I fixed it at the CG.
One of the reasons I love this forum so much is it allows me to stop kicking myself for my early on bone head mistakes. Northwindone I do not have to ask how you know since I have replaced a power tongue jack in my early days. I now use a checklist every time I stop and start as well because DW reminds me of a bent tongue jack leg every time I don't.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #16

If you are plugged into shore power wont your converter just see the TV battery as just another load and keep it charged ?

I don't disconnect and never had a problem. If I did, I have an auxiliary battery in my truck isolated and can give myself a jump start at the flick of a switch but have never need to.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote