Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

Permit to park on property

I got a note from code enforcement that I don't have a permit to park Travel Trailer. I didn't realize I needed one. It is parked in a driveway off the main roads & is insured & registered with a plate. This is Orange county ,Florida. Anyone else had this happen?
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #2

I assume this is your driveway and storage not living in it?
Old 12-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #3

We live in AZ with a HOA, and they do not allow people to even park their RVs in the driveway for more than a day or two. So, for now, I have to email the HOA admin to let her know that we'll be bringing our rig home the night before we go on our trip. This way, other neighbors don't freak out and call her to complain.

This issue, however, will end early next year when our new house is built. One of the options we picked was a RV Garage next to our main house. So, we'll no longer have to park our rig outside in the elements, and can prep it and work on it when we want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
I got a note from code enforcement that I don't have a permit to park Travel Trailer. I didn't realize I needed one. It is parked in a driveway off the main roads & is insured & registered with a plate. This is Orange county ,Florida. Anyone else had this happen?
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Most cities have codes that say a Boat, RV, etc., must be parked in a rear yard or the side yard and not sticking out past the front of the house, some will even want it behind a fence. Most won't allow parking in a driveway for more than a few days, give them a call to figure it out.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Site Team

We can store the RV on our property as long as it is behind a 6' privacy fence. They just extended that ordinance here earlier this year. As for on a driveway... you can park a boat or RV on the driveway for 3 days (for packing and unpacking). After that it is a ticket(s).

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I assume this is your driveway and storage not living in it?
Yes My son's home, I don't have space for it & I have an HOA.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #7

PIA for sure, They want a copy of the survey & photos. It may be a problem as the driveway is on a corner property. The driveway enters the home from the side of the house. No fences on property except shrubbery on the corner. No back yard also.If they want it hidden than I will have to rent a space to store it.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #8

Check the city or county ordinances. They should be on line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #9

Based on the OP, the violation was for not having a permit. Can you get one?? This sounds more like a city / county issue than an HOA one. If you aren't in an HOA there and they are mentioning 'permits', hopefully you have a path to become 'legal' where you are parking without too much trouble.

I've been studying the codes here a lot lately.. thankfully im not in an HOA either, but if I park in front of my house, I can be ticketed after 24 hours. Around here, someone has to file a formal complaint before the clock starts. The cops have better things to do. Maybe someone complained?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #10

Just another tax, and it depends on the city. Some have no such things, and some have pretty restrictive ordinances and fees... (read taxes)... My HOA has sent me nasty-grams twice for our travel trailer being in our drive. It was there 23 hours when we got it new, and 26 hours when we got back from Virginia, The restrictions allow us to have it there for 48 hours. We've threatened them with actions against them for harassment... if we receive a third. They're craw-fishing and apologizing now.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #11

Right here:

Code Enforcement
Old 12-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Right here:

Code Enforcement
Now that deserves a thanks!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #13

I'm on our HOA board. 90% of the problems we have with violations really stem from neighbor complaints. The want to continue living peacefully next door so they will not complain directly. They will complain to the management company or the board and later commiserate with the neighbor about the unfair HOA. Lol.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #14

We don't have an HOA, but the town has a municipal code requiring RVs & Boat being stored on residential property to be behind the fence. I really appreciate this code and the fact that it is enforced.

I realize many folks here would never let a RV just rot in their driveway, but many do.

I also realize no one here would park an RV in a driveway that compromises the vision of drivers to see up into the yards, but I see that too and when kids are in the neighborhood it's just too much risk.

Technically you can get a permit in our town too, but you would likely never get it approved. All neighbors within a certain distance, maybe 500' have to approve which I don't see ever happening.

I store mine in a gated and monitored (electronic and live on property manager) storage yard.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Sounds like you got ratted out.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #16

If it fits on your driveway I'm inclined to side with anyone that wants to park anything they want on it, as long as they want.

Unfortunately / fortunately for me, I can't fit my camper on my driveway so I'm ok with using the local storage lot until I get my back yard properly situated and then it's nobody's business but my own. Ironic kind of that where I live, which is pretty high dollar, the people with the RV's are the ones most likely to have pro-landscaped yards and the most beautiful homes in the area. The ones doing the complaining and getting the citations issued usually have the barking dogs and garbage in their yards, just an observation around this area.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #17

We actually bought the vacant lot next door when we bought our house, and we have a storage shed and our camping trailer on the lot. We are in the process of landscaping the lot, and the vehicle and shed are on the alley side of the lot in an area which will be paved with gravel next spring.

We are fortunate to be living in a very small rural town (pop 400) with minimal code restrictions. As long as what is being stored isn't junky or abandoned, we don't anticipate any issues. There are others in town with a lot more stuff than we have - contractors with back hoes and loaders parked on trailers, grain haulers with their semi's parked at their homes, etc. None of the places with vehicles stored are poorly cared for, unlike a few homes where the owners don't bother with upkeep of their yards or buildings.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #18

Robert, I live in Orlando also and have had this happen to me several times. Not only with our camper but our boat as well and like Gman said chances are one of your neighbors called them on you. My wife happen to be out there when the code enforcement guy came by to take pictures and said that they do not (at least where we are) come out unless someone calls.
Byrddog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #19

I live in a county area without restrictions about how long a trailer can be parked in a driveway. But, I only leave it on my drive as long as it takes me to fix whatever is wrong with it; longer term storage is elsewhere.

If I couldn't fix it on my driveway, and had to pay someone else to do it, I couldn't afford the trailer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
If it fits on your driveway I'm inclined to side with anyone that wants to park anything they want on it, as long as they want.
While you and many others may be inclined to side with those folks, the law doesn't. Not sure about other states but here, by law, if you buy property that is encumbered with deed restrictions, when you close on that property you agree to comply with those restrictions. Not knowing what they are is no excuse in court, either.

I tend to be a straight up guy. I don't pull punches, but I do try to be tactful. If something isn't right and it bothers me, I speak up. I don't report people to the HOA. There are plenty enough busy bodies in the neighborhood that report for even the smallest things... which are often not against the restrictions. I'm pretty sure of which neighbor called in on me for having my trailer here, again even though I didn't violate the time limit. I always smile and wave at him when he drives by...