Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Just saying wind chill has no effect on water or water lines, 0 degrees now that's another story.

Here is the answer from NOAA:

2. Can wind chill impact my car's radiator or exposed water pipe?

*The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit

Grumpy... Again, respectively we need to compare apples to apples here... that example (as facutal as it may be) is referencing something that is not in direct contact with the wind. Wind chill only effects objects within contact like skin when outside and such... Also your example is of a car radiator and hose which has antifreeze in them I doubt I'd be worried about my lines if they were filled with antifreeze lol. Sticking with my origional point, I am preventing freezing of lines (filled with potable water) at and around the freeze mark +/- 32 degrees down to say 0deg F. The precautuions I am taking may not apply to you if you dont use your camper in similar sitaations or you have been lucky. Me on the otherhand I like to prepare before having to stop what Im doing to devote a few hours to troubleshooting, thawing, and repairing.

Jayrundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
33.5 rets

Feel free to ask questions, comment, I invite CONSTRUCTIVE critisism not destructive. We are all a family lets support and help eachother... I can post pictures or email them if you would like. Enjoy and be safe!

I would love to see some pictures of the underbelly after the covering has been removed. I have the same 33.5RETS in a 2014 model. Picked it up last November. Had three significant problems right off the bat but the local dealer got them all corrected. Have been good since but I always worry about the freezing weather aspect. We are in South Georgia but it was below 15 degrees here for a couple days this past winter. I had winterized so had no problems. Unlike most folks up north though, the winter months are when we like to camp as it is nice and cold! Nothing like sitting around the campfire to keep warm. We found our major problems when it got good and cold and we fired up the furnace for the first time, only it would not fire up! lol Did you have any problems when you took delivery of your unit? You can email me direct with pictures if you like to:

Joe Hinson
16205 GA HWY 27
Vienna, GA 31092

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote