Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Slide squeals like a pig

Hello everyone!

Can someone help? My slide out sequels really loud. I have the 25BHS WH and it's the dining slide. I bought it in the spring and it didn't start doing this until about a month ago. I know nothing about slides as this is my first trailer but I'm very handy so before I risk taking it back to the dealer where they can hold my trailer hostage I was wondering if anyone knows what is causing this noise and if there is a fairly easy fix? There are 2 gears and one tube that slides with it. I have wiped the tube and put a light covering of white lithium grease and it seemed it started to help but nope after few times of sliding it in and out the noise returned. Also what does the tube do?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #2

Mine squealed after my hunting trip, but that was after traveling over 70 miles of dirt and muddy roads, and then a 5 hour highway trip through rain and wind.
I grabbed a friend and crawled underneath and while he ran the slide in and out, I used copious amounts of WD-40 through a couple cycles and then wiped it down dry. Then sprayed copious amounts of dry lithium grease and left it sit open till it dried well.
That stopped the squealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #3

It needs to be lubricated. Like NVGun, i crawled under our rig, cleaned the mechanism and doused it in dry lube - problem solved.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:02 AM   #4

I use 2 products very frequently on my slide that seems to keep it in smooth running condition. I use Thetford Premium RV Slide Seal Conditioner on the rubber seal inside & out; and WD-40 White Lithium Grease on the track underneath. I'm always applying this stuff for a happy slide.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

^^ the above and level and stabilized operation helps ours (as per the manual). Ours was really bad. Lube and level and stabilized operation helps a lot.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Awesome thanks for the tips. I was lubricating it and it was helping but I read some other threads where people were saying the book says to not lube and yet people do it anyways. But to always keep an eye on it so it stays clean. Thanks for the advice I will give it a try!

After owning this trailer for only about 5 months I have learned so much playing with it and reading forums. I'm sure I will learn much more as time passes. What I have noticed on this forum is when people complain (not all people) about problems with the trailer I wonder how much of it manufacturing errors vs not taking care of it errors, you know "operator error"? I'm not putting people down but from what I'm experiencing as a first timer is this is a full time commitment or bad things may happen. You don't give your trailer your attention only when it's time to hit the road and if you don't always review the little things, disaster may just be around the corner. Example: I'm innocently washing my trailer after a good trip over the mountains, harmless right...? Well when I was done the DW (by the way what is DW?) was cleaning the inside when all of sudden she say's "there is WATER under the bathroom sink". I took a look and what had happened is I had the outdoor shower compartment open when washing the outside and water shot through the holes the hose is pushed into and that leads under the sink. Well I was able to clean it up quickly with minimal damage to a panel but I were tonnever find out and water went in every time I washed her then it would be disaster a few years from now.

I love having this trailer and I'm enjoying the challenge of keeping it good as new with maintenance and upgrades

Thanks everyone!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote