Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Thinking of upgrading from 26BH to Eagle 304 BHS, anyone have this?

I have 3 growing boys. Our 26BH is a great trailer, but we want something a little bigger. Weight isn't an issue for me (Chevy 3500 Duramax).

Who has the new 2012 304? There were several changes between 2011-12 on this model. We looked at a 304 and a 314 today. 314 just seems too big to me and more things to look after with another slide, plus more $$$

Thoughts, complaints, advice welcome.
AndrewClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #2

What is your tow vehicle? If it's big enough to pull the extra weight of the 314, that is the route I would go. We have the Jayflight version of that trailer and absolutely love it. The extra slide in the back is awesome and creates a lot of additional space. You also get a door going from the outside straight into the bathroom, which was a huge selling point for us - it keeps everyone from walking through the whole trailer to use the restroom.

I may be biased, but my vote is with the 314 (I wish I was getting a 2012 because those new Eagle Superlites look SHARP!).
Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #3

I have no issue with weight, I have a 2012 Chevy 3500 CC SRW 4x4 Duramax. Texas, your points on the 314 are great, and I would look at the jayflight if they get some of the same features (like the spin television in the living area/front bedroom). The extra entry to the bathroom, larger kids area, and pantry space are all great.

The downsides for me is that the extra length and even more the second slide will affect what spots I can get into. A lot of our destinations are at state parks which I already have to watch which sites we look at. I see people with multiple slides always fretting with where to put the rig in a spot based on trees etc. The extra 2.5' length isn't that big a deal, but it is that much longer. Cost is also a bit of an issue, but not the biggest.

Have you had any issues with where you take your 32BHDS? I looked at the 314 because that floorplan (and similar, like yours) seem to be very popular.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewClay View Post

Have you had any issues with where you take your 32BHDS? I looked at the 314 because that floorplan (and similar, like yours) seem to be very popular.
I'd say you'd have less sites to choose from with a larger TT, but you'll know when you book with any CG because you will put your trailer length in the specifics. We always put 35' in to acct for the hitch. We've done alot of tent camping and I've seen some large rigs parked comfortably. This is our first year with our 32BHDS. We have 3 kids-2 teenage boys & 6 yr old girl & it is a great floor plan. No regrets on our part. When the boys are off to college in 3-4 yrs, we'll downsize to a smaller BH model. There's pros & cons with the Eagle & Jayflight's. We were looking at spending a bit less with the Jayflight -vs- Eagle.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

My travel trailer box is 29' and hitch to bumper is 33'.

If the site has a 23' pad I can get the wheels and the jack on the pad and let the back 10' hand over (as long as there is not an obstruction).

Most folks will drive past a 23' pad thinking it is too short to accommodate their trailer.

Measure the distance from your rear tire to tongue to determine the minimum length pad required.

Our entry door is mid ship. This may not work for rear entry trailers.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

I haven't had any issues with finding a spot in any of the camp grounds I've been to, but I tend to shy away from state parks due to reasons that I won't get into here (although it's mainly cost; I'm fundamentally against paying a per person charge to enter a park when I will be spending multiple nights there).

My Jayflight has the swivel TV; if I had been looking this year, I probably would have upgraded to the Eagle just for this option (mine is only 22" though, it should would be nice to have a bigger one in there). I really like the way the new Eagles look as well, but I don't mind the aluminum siding either. If I'm not mistaken, I think there are a few members on the board that got Jayflights recently and found that they indeed had a swivel TV when their trailer arrived (due to changes Jayco is putting in for 2013). It may be worth calling Jayco and finding out, as the Jayflights are quite a bit cheaper than the Eagles.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #7

Thanks for the inputs. Yes, I have seen a post on the rv.net forums that someone with the jayflight has the new cabinet with the swivel tv, and have found pics of them out of my area. The TV is a 26" though as opposed to 32" in the Eagles (small detail to me).

I think I prefer aluminum as well. There are a lot of upgrades on the eagles (like getting solid surface counter tops, pull out faucet, mirrors on the cabinets in the forward bedroom and some others). Not sure that is worth the extra few $k or not. My wife likes the upgrades, not sure I like the price.

Sounds like there are going to be a lot of changes to the line this year, I'm looking forward to seeing them. My family has been hotly debating the two floorplans this morning given these posts, pics we've found, and what we saw yesterday. I think I'm going to get out voted in favor of the larger trailer...

Keep the comments and advice coming from those that have these trailers.
WA State
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

Oh, on spots. The state parks out here are a lot cheaper and don't charge by person. They are usually a lot bigger and nicer spots too (although few have sewer). I'd say I'm looking 50/50 between state and private parks. I know private parks always seem to have bigger spots.
WA State
Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
I haven't had any issues with finding a spot in any of the camp grounds I've been to, but I tend to shy away from state parks due to reasons that I won't get into here (although it's mainly cost; I'm fundamentally against paying a per person charge to enter a park when I will be spending multiple nights there)....
We frequent Texas State Parks. We purchase a Texas State Parks pass every year. It provides free entry to all Texas State Parks and you get 2 free nights camping. It pays for itself in just a few trips.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewClay View Post
..... I know private parks always seem to have bigger spots.
Not here in Texas. The State and Corp of Engineer Parks almost always have much larger sites than private parks.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Not here in Texas. The State and Corp of Engineer Parks almost always have much larger sites than private parks.
Here too.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

We pretty much stick to the Corps of Engineer parks as I've found them to be the nicest, and most bang for your buck. I've also found that the gate attendants are (almost) always nicer and more laid back... state parks have a LOT of rules (many of which I don't agree with), but I digress.

Back to the topic at hand, I would LOVE to have a 32" TV in my trailer, but it won't fit on the swivel. I *think* a 26" will fit, and may try it, if I can find one cheap enough.

I agree with you on some of the upgrades... some of them are nice, but not sure if they are worth the money. The counters sure are pretty, but I don't have solid surface in my house, so it's not a big deal to me to not have them in the trailer. It would be nice to have a pull out faucet, but we end up washing most of the dishes outside anyway because the sink is small (I tend to make a mess), and the grey tank is small as well. I wish Jayco would have put a reasonably sized set of tanks on a trailer this large... they have the same size tanks on much smaller trailers; a trailer designed to sleep 10 people ought to have tanks larger than 32ga, but I digress again.

I think I like the cabinets without the mirrors in the bedroom... too much reflection and glare created by mirrors int he bedroom. I can always look on the backside of the swivel TV, or go in the bathroom if I want to see myself, but I reckon that changes depending on what people use their trailers for.

All of that said, I absolutely LOVE the way the Eagle Superlite looks. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I may have sprung for the upgrade for that reason alone. I like the way my G2 looks as well, but............

Anyhow, my vote is with the bigger trailer as well. I don't think you'll ever regret the extra space, even if it means you have to hunt a little harder for a spot to fit it in.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #13

OH, and even this 40ish girl can drive it! I'm still working on the back-in part, but no mishaps yet!
Another note- If we just had 2 kids, we would of definitely bought a smaller BH model. Because we have 3 & none want to sleep with another and we didn't want to transform dinette or couch into a bed every night, this model was an excellent choice. I know Jayco has the 29QBH model, but our dealer didn't have one. Anyway, we've found we can't live without the outside kitchen and bathroom door. I like my kids to have clean hands before meals & the outside sink was a blessing. They love the fridge too! Stocked full of pop, which is a special treat for them.