Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
As far as being sensitive to it, then make sure she avoids the foods (and many, many others) listed in this article:

Common Foods and Drinks Hiding the Antifreeze Compound

But if you do a little more looking, you'll find that this food additive, besides being a great RV antifreeze, is very non-toxic, even in large amounts.

2012 Ford F-150 Eco, Max/Max
Jayco 26.5 RLS, Reese Sidewinder
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
We get ~30 nights in the 20s, I don't recall a day time high below freezing. I use compressed air only and then I do put some pink anyifreeze in the drain traps and toilet bowl. No issues in 5 winters.

Don't for get you black tank rinser, it requires air since the water pump doesn't circulate that bit of hose.

2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
X2 bassdogs: I hook my compressor (set at 40 psi) and start at the faucet at end of run or further away from water inlet, and work my way backwards. I do this two or three times just to be sure. Then I open low point drains, and leave them open. Leaving on the compressor during operation, will assure that water, all water stays at end of each pipe and not run back to a cleared section. I'am good to go whenever I want to travel.
I'm just a bit north of you and have always used air to winterize. I don't want the chemicals in my plumbing either. Like arkhillbilly said, cycle through each faucet several times to include the toilet and outside shower. Open the low point and blow some air out of them also. I remove my whole house filter before starting. I also remove and empty the screen filter on the input of the water pump. Pink stuff only goes into the toilet and P traps.

Personally I don't think a bit of water remaining in your piping will hurt anything. Pex is more flexible than house plumbing and the water has two ways to expand anyway.

I've found over the years that the consensus is pink stuff but air is my preferred method. As far as the statement in the users manual, I just have to disagree with them.
2015 Greyhawk 29MV
Honda CRV toad with Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute Elite towbar with braking system
Hughes autoformer
TST 507 Flowthru TPMS
hoppers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #14
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
My wife is one of those "chemically sensitive" people. She doesn't want us putting anti-freeze in the fresh water tank if we can avoid it.
When you sanitize the water system in the Spring, you'll get all the pink stuff out anyway.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
Spot On.
nolanskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #16
Remember to do the outside shower if your unit is equipped with one. As stated before there's no need to put any antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Remember to by-pass your hot water heater and let your water pump pull the antifreeze out of the containers and into the water lines. Don't overlook the stool also.
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #17
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
When you sanitize the water system in the Spring, you'll get all the pink stuff out anyway.

When I de-winterize I open the low points and drain the antifreeze out of the system. I then flush the pipes/fixtures real good with freshwater (using the city connection) then drain the entire system again (Water heater still by-passed to this point). I then open the bypass and sanitize the system. After sanitizing I flush the entire system a few times and the entire system is clean. All residual antifreeze is gone.

The compressed air version works as long as you are thorough in getting all the water out... To me the antifreeze is a $6 insurance policy and extra piece of mind.
2014 Jayflight Swift 264BH
2015 Ford F150 EcoBoost
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #18
I use air only also, but make sure you blow out at every setting on the water system. city fill, country fill, run the pump a little, the black tank rinse if you have one, etc. X2 or 3 times. Leave all drain valves open. Do use the anti freeze in all u-traps.
Retired and loving it.
Got a new 2014 Grayhawk 31DS
Hoping to get away from the IL winters
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #19
Hi Don....we live in Port Orchard Wa. with our 2015 Greyhawk 29mv....always use air for winterizing on our old A Southwind, and same with our new 29mv...but the new type demand water heater has no drain plug apparently ?...maybe just blowing out the lines is good enough ?, any opinion anyone on the Demand Water Heater system..thanks.
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #20
Pink or Air??? Its your choice!! Just remember the things that cause problems with the air method, cause same issues with using the"stuff". Miss a faucet or forget the outside shower and bingo.

This is not hard to do. Just pick your method and go slow and don't get sidetracked.

An advantage with air is that I can dewinterize on a trip south and then winterize again in a rest area on I65 on the way home. Or do the same several time on a trip with warm and cold stops. No pink to carry or replace and no need to super flush the system.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote