Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #1

Fiberglass roof and clear coat

Most of the clear coat has work off of the roof on our 2003 Jayco Designer 12F5. It really gets dirty and I have to scrub it or pressure wash the dirt that gets stuck in the fiberglass. What is the best way to reseal or recoat the roof? Do I need to repaint it to make it white again and then have it clear coated. The lid to the trunk is also not shiny anymore.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #2

Nobody has any input in this?
Old 08-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You might want to get it redone at a body shop, unless you are a DIYer
If it is cracked etc. it needs a gelcoat and finished with a clear coat.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

It may be pricey to get repaired,maybe check marine/ boat shop! But I would bet your camper is built better than this new stuff on the road today.Worst thing we did sold 06 fiver for 2016. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
Nobody has any input in this?
I've own a 12F3 since new. The roof is gelcoated like a fiberglass boat and oxidizes quickly if not waxed regularly.

The fix is to use a fiberglass boat hull cleaner then, with a dual action or rotary polisher, buff the roof with polishing compound. The final step is to use a high grade wax sealant.

If you are unable to do this yourself someone who details boats would be the right person for the job.
bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Well, the gel coat on mine is 90% gone. I've cleaned it with a rotary brush attachment on a drill. I've also pressure washed it. But with the gel coat gone it is now porous. There are also some small spider cracks. Now that it is porous any bit of dirt will stick to it. I have a hard time getting leaf stains out of it. During the winter I cover it with a tarp which helps with leaf and dirt deposits. At this point I think it needs repainted and then gel coated so stuff will not stick. I just don't know where to take it do have it done. Maybe just a body shop?
Old 09-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

Maybe a marina on a big lake with lots of fiberglass boats?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #8

Gelcoat is only about .020" thick so i guess it's possible to be completely worn through. But it still sounds like it is just heavily oxidized. A drilll just isn't the right tool for the job.

A "body shop" could sand the roof and paint it. A proper primer would be required. Corvettes use polyester fiberglass panels and they are painted.

I would think most body shops are not equipped to spray gelcoat. It's just a little too specialized using different spray equipment for the thick materials. Most boat repair shops can easily handle a small gelcoat repair. I think you will have to seek out one that could handle spraying the whole roof.

You remind me, I think I am going to go out and put another coat of wax on my roof
Old 09-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #9

It just frustrates me because we bought the camper years ago and it was used. I don't want it to start leaking and it's not shiny anymore. I don't think we did anything to neglect it. The gel coat has just peeled off.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #10

Gelcoat shouldn't peel. It is polyester resin that is sprayed into the mold for the roof and the fiberglass cloth and more resin is built up upon that.

It sounds like the previous owners coated the roof with some type of clearcoat.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
It just frustrates me because we bought the camper years ago and it was used. I don't want it to start leaking and it's not shiny anymore. I don't think we did anything to neglect it. The gel coat has just peeled off.
as others have stated gel coat is thin... the rule of thumb is to use the least abrasive manner to get it cleaned and polished.

I have not heard of anybody clear coating gel coat. they have a thing now but not prior to 2015... if someone "clear coated" it they probably didn't do it right and that is why it is flaking off...

if you are at the state where it is porous and you are down to the fiberglass then you would need to have it re-shot with new gel. It is put on just like paint.. Go see a marine place or someone who specializes in gel coatings.. or hit the web and learn about it.. it isn't that hard if you can run a spray paint system. You can probably do this, you just need the right tools and the right products.. The good thing is you don't have to match colors that will make it much easier!

Good luck...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote