Jayco popup GFI tripping - HELP!
Long time lurker, first time poster ;-)
I just purchased a 2005 Jayco 806 pop up on Friday and went over it with a fine tooth comb... or so I thought perhaps. When we checked it out we had the guy connect it to his residential line using the trailer connector with a 30A to household socket adapter. We then confirmed that all of the DC lights work (ceiling, bunk lights/fan, and patio light), the DC water pump works, the fridge (set to AC) works and the Air Conditioning unit works (wired on a separate 20A breaker). One thing we did not test were the outlets, thinking that if the Air Conditioner worked the rest of the AC system worked - no the case.
We popped it up today and noticed that the GFI socket trips as soon as it is connected to shore power, in this case my residential outlet. We connected it to my residence the same way the seller did and the same items work that worked when we initially inspected it. I have tried the following to get the GFI to work:
1. Pressed the reset button - no luck
2. Shut off the trailer electrical breaker and then reset - the GFI resets but as soon as the breaker is turned on it trips
3. Replaced the GFI receptacle - same issue
4. Plugged the shore line into both a GFI residential outlet (which trips when resetting the trailer GFI) and non GFI residential outlet - no luck
5. Unplugged the 3 way fridge (the only AC appliance in the camper, other than the Air conditioner which is wired to its own breaker) and reset GFI - no luck
I was able to get the outlets working by plugging the 3 pronged shore line into a 2 pronged extension cord - not the safest thing I know, but with the 3 pronged it's hopeless- it trips right away.
I would love for the GFI to work, especially since it feeds 3 other non GFI outlets in the popup that of course do not work either as a result.
I have inspected all of the connections at the outlets as best I could (they all seam pretty well sealed in plastic enclosures with thick insulation), checked all connections at the converter box, checked all of the wires running under the popup, etc with no luck - everything looks fine.
I think I've covered everything, hopefully I was thorough enough. Hopefully someone here has experienced this or is handy with electrical stuff.