Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #1

Alaska Reservations

I am sure this has come up before but I will ask again. We are planning a two month trip to Alaska, June - July, and want to know if we should make reservations at sites in advance or just wing it? Or maybe reserve 1-2 days in advance as we travel. We have a class A Alante with plenty of water and staying power to boondock several days before needing to dump and refill. I am not sure we want to be stuck to a firm schedule with reservations but are curious as to how full sites will get. Planning on short 100-150 mile days so we will arrive in towns early.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #2

Following
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #3

On our recent 94 day trek to Alaska from Florida, I insisted on having reservations, especially at the sites north of the border. Summer is peak season for Canadian and Alaskan RV parks and campsites. More than one had No Vacancy signs out when we arrived.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #4

I think a lot depends upon personal preferences. Some of us just can't be forced into a set schedule because we aren't sure if we will like the campground or area and want to stay a while or dislike one or the other and want to move on. Then there is the 'I must have electricity, water, etc' and those who don't really care. In 2016 we spent three months traveling to, within and back from Alaska. We never made reservations and always found a place to stay. I realize two years and variable traveler numbers doesn't mean things would be the same in the future. The only two places where we had any difficulty at all were Whitehorse in the Yukon and Soldotna, AK. Soldotna was very busy because it was the 4th of July week and many Alaskan travelers who were there to net salmon. If one is comfortable with staying overnight in pulloff areas along the Alaskan Highway and in Alaska there seemed to always be room somewhere to park.

A recent video I watched did a pretty good job of summarizing the issues of travelling to and from Alaska:

Have fun and be safe!
Old 10-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
if we should make reservations at sites in advance or just wing it?
Get a copy of the Alaska Milepost and wing it!

I started down the path of planning everything a few years ago on a motorcycle trip to Anchorage from SoCal.. Eventually I just ditched it all and went! I'm glad I did! Between too much to see, road construction, forest fires, weather, you will drive yourself nuts if everything is planned out.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote