Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Am I crazy?

Wife and I have had plans to leave the kids at home with a sitter and take off for a weekend by ourselves for the holiday weekend. We setup plans to go to Angel Fire NM and stay the the RV Resort there. We've been there before and the place is very nice. The weather has been looking great for the past few weeks so we went ahead and reserved a site. Now planning on leaving today and this nice cold front has come in and the weather keeps getting worse. 2" of snow last night, another 1-2 expected tomorrow and then 4" overnight on Sunday to Monday, which is when I am expected to leave. Temps were in the 40's and 50's earlier in the week, and now the weekend shows a high of mid 20s and low of 3. I've got a heat setups galore to deal with the cold...heated water hose, insulated air duct to run the sewer hose through, heater setup in the wet bay/tank area, electric oil filled space heaters, so I am confident that I can keep the place warm and no blow any pipes, but my real worry is actual travel to and from. With highway 64 between there and Taos and the road from Santa Fe to Taos, having to go up and over a mountain, I am not sure I want to be driving the rig, while towing a toad while it is snowing and below freezing weather. I am half tempted to call an audible and head to phoenix where is would be much warmer. The only issue there is that it doubles the drive time and I have never been there in an RV before so I don't which ones are good. I did look through RV Parky and got a few recommendations, I just hope they are not all full with the snowbirds. Anyone have recommendations or thoughts?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

I think I would go with the warmer place do not want to be driving RV in those road conditions besides look at it as a new adventure may see something you never saw before and want to go back
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #3

I had my 5er on the slip to the side of the truck in Kansas City a few years ago on ice and I will do everything in my power to avoid that situation again. Thankfully we came through with no scratches!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #4

I thought the focus of the question might be about leaving the kids with a sitter. Answer...maybe.
Lafayettemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Team

What's wrong with snowbirds? Do you have a list?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #6

Nothing wrong with snowbirds...I'll be one after I retire. What I was trying to say was that I hope there will be space available there since it will be full with all the snowbirds being there.

FYI...went to Phoenix, found a site (it was still pretty packed) and had a great weekend.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #7

I have a problem with the snowbirds....they are warm down South right now and I’m still stuck up here in 25-30 degree weather! They should be ashamed
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote