Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #1

Cobb lake British Columbia

Cobb Lake was a a whim recomendation really. A friend of a friend said it was a good spot close to Prince George. Said he ice fished there and it was quiet and nice. I had been looking at a good place close by to do our First Maiden voyage for our new A-frame.

The British Columbia recreation website
Recreation Sites and Trails BC
Said they had 8 camp sites with Toiltes, Fire Pits, and a Boat Launch.

Located at GPS Coordinates N 53 57,402 by W 123 33,723 it is only about 75 km from Prince George. Nestled in with other Lakes Like Bednesti, known for its fishing competitions prior to the truck stop burning down. And the larger Cluculz Lake which is much better for boating.

Turning onto Finmoore Road you can actually see the Brookside Resort and a Highway Rest Stop. The Drive in was easy as it was a well used road. And the Sign was clearly marked when we were to turn Right onto the Forest Service Road. The Huge sign saying "Buy Firewood Here" made the turn even harder to miss. As I headed down the Forestry Road, it was lined with "No tresspassing" signs and I began to think I may have turned down the wrong road. But again a clearly marked sign turned me right down an even more sketchy road. As I crawled my Jeep and Trailer up the road I wondered how difficult it would be to back out if I couldn't find a area to turn around. As the road opned up I could see two make shift camping areas and a nice turn around spot. I thought to myself "Well even if I'm not in the right spot I'll spend my 4 days right here." I decided to walk down the hill and found everything opned up. The road may have beeen questionable but the camp site had been built and levelled with attention to detail.

Allong the Beach front was a Boat Launch and a small area you could park Boat Trailers in. Further was a large picknick area with 4 Tables and Steel Fire Pits.

(We parked at the last Pick Nic spot unaware there was more around the corner out of view)

Three Trailer/RV Campsites you can back in or out of in full view of the Picknick area. But around a corner were Four More Trailer/RV Camp Sites and a "Tent Only" Site at the end. Each with a Picknick Table, a Steel Fire Pit and enough green belt between them to provide some form of seclusion.

The best part about parking here is the Cul De Sac that allows you to turn around without dificulty. Meaning if a camp site is at a bad angle to park, you can turn around and have a completely different angle of approach.

There are 4 or 5 Pit Toilets to service the entire site. And a couple come in to service the site every couple of weeks.

For the Fisherman this Lake has a healthy population of Brook Trout and Rainbow Trout. And its open for Year round Fishing. The Lake also has a healthy population Grebes, a few Crows and even a Loon or two. There is also evidence of a healthy Beaver in the area. As finding farewood was as simple as taking a short walk and picking up what the Beaver left behind.

We chose a weekend that was forcast for Rain and Thunder Showers all weekend. Yet it was just overcast. Even though it was bad weather we saw on average 10 People Launching Boats, 5 Campers coming and going, and 3 Carloads of people coming to hike every day. Had it been better weather it very well could have been a much busier Recreation Site. (A local even told me he had counted over 40 cars at once while walking his dog one weekend.)

Over all it was a great spot to camp. We enjoyed ourselves greatly and all of the campers and hikers who came along were very personable and friendly. Every day even when overcast, was still bright and comfortable. And it was very easy to keep the fire going if you wanted to.

I would recomend this site to people, but caution them that there might not be space at this 'free' site. So to have an alternate plan just in case.

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote