Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Colorado wildfires?

Heading down to Leadville Colorado on Thursday and wondering how smoky it really is there due to fire in FairPlay Colorado. Is everything open around there?
2018 Polaris Sportsman 570
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #2

hwy 285 reopened on Saturday morning. Still some forest service roads closed that go into the burning area. I spent Thursday afternoon, Friday night, Saturday, Sunday morning and Monday morning in Jefferson, Fairplay, Lake Spinney, Georgia pass, Hoosier pass and Breckenridge etc all within 20 miles or less of the fire. While not smoke free I experienced nothing more than some haze in the distance. I only occasionally and for short periods even smelt smoke. My wife and 9 year old grandson are hiking the Colorado Trail with llamas right now and going through that area and have had no real complaints about the smoke. Granted Leadville is on the other side of the mountain range and may be different but I dont see how it could be much different. The Weston Pass fire is currently 13,000 acres and 63% contained. It has not grown much at all in the last 4 or 5 days and it has seen some rain. If you go to cotrip.org you can look at traffic cameras in the area. None right in Leadville but just south of there in granite, I think there is one in Buena Vista, Fairplay, Breckenridge area multiple cameras etc you can click on them and look for yourself. Obviously it all depends on wind direction, overall weather etc but the last few days have been no problem and doesn't apear to be one now based on the traffic cameras.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote