Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2020, 05:13 AM   #1

first road trip

Due to COVID, I am uncertain what places one might be available to stop and park a 22 foot trail trailer on my first trip. Would like to stop at say two places beside Lake Hartwell on way back to try out using the 'new to me' used RV just purchased. If you have suggestions on a place or two to hit please share. Below are details.
  • 2020 Highlander Hybrid FWD 4 cylinder with toyota hitch, 7pin connector
  • Start location, lake at family house in Columbia City, IN and end Tampabay, FL
  • Initial pull of TT will be a few hours flat land from Lake to Sister house in Ossian, IN
  • Slight chance I will instead have to drive up to Buffalo NY to pickup the used TT if it cost too much to have UShip bring it to the lake.
  • Trip starts July 23rd up at the Lake
  • Total days travel, once up at the Lake will be 7 to 15 days.
  • Stop for a few days at Lake Hartwell in Lavonia GA.
  • I am a newbie when it comes to connecting RV hoses and such though family has an RV and can help me learn the ropes
  • I start my life as a retiree on July 1st, Lord only knows what it will feel like walking in those shoes after work my entire life. I will be 63 this August, as a point of reference...body still feels ok to me
Stay safe everyone
skylimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

Congrats on retirement! 22 ft seems pretty big for a 4 cylinder?
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #3

Yes, sadly it will be though will give it a try and see
Old 06-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #4

So you might be towing the trailer from Buffalo to Tampa? Or would you first drive to Indiana, then to Tampa?
Old 06-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #5

drive suv from florida to buffalo, pickup used rv then tow it to Indian for visit. After that tow rv back down to Florida is present game plan.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylimit View Post
drive suv from florida to buffalo, pickup used rv then tow it to Indian for visit. After that tow rv back down to Florida is present game plan.
Ok, sounds good. I was a little concerned about you going through the mountains for your first trip South in that rig. Have fun!

Keep in mind that if your route takes you through Canada the border is closed.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Congratulations on the new-to-you trailer, and the imminent retirement! It will feel strange for a short time, but you'll get used to a new routine soon enough. Then you'll start to wonder why the weeks seem to fly by!

Is your trailer 22 feet from the tongue to the rear bumper?
Your Highlander's rated to tow a max of 3500 pounds, so get a good weight distribution hitch, and take it easy with it. Enjoy the journey, and safe travels.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #8

I towed my Skylark with a V-6 Ford escape with no issues other than poor mileage range between fill ups and a lot of side push from trucks passing. A sway bar corrected the push problem. A Honda pilot with a larger gas tank and variable cylinders solved the poor range problem