Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2024, 06:48 PM   #1

Ozarks!

DW ask me to put together a trip to the Ozarks in Missouri. Any RV park recommendations would be appreciated. Happy New Year!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:07 AM   #2

Are you saying Lake of the Ozarks, or Ozarks as the whole Southwest corner of Missouri?
Can you give some detail on what kind of camping you prefer, like full hookups, no hookups, close to a town, as far out as possible, lake front, lake view, river front river view, near tourist areas, what kind of tourist areas looking for, etc.
I can tell you there are over 300 free camping locations on conservation areas in Missouri, but if you want hookups, none will work.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:54 AM   #3

Ozarks options

I live in Sedalia, which is in west central Missouri, just north of the Ozarks. We love to spend time in the Ozarks and really enjoy the Corps of Engineers campgrounds near the numerous lakes as well as the Missouri State Parks.

I believe that Missouri has some of the nicest state parks in the country. We camp between Sunday and Thursday, which allows us to take advantage of the lower prices during those days. Besides the beautiful shaded camping, the state parks have trails and other attractions at each one. We have also found the park staff to be very helpful and nice.

We feel so blessed to be two to three hours away from a huge variety of camping options in such beautiful country. Our kids enjoyed the weekend trips, and now that we are retired, we go at all times during the week.
jeffb6140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:47 PM   #4

At least water and electricity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Are you saying Lake of the Ozarks, or Ozarks as the whole Southwest corner of Missouri?
Can you give some detail on what kind of camping you prefer, like full hookups, no hookups, close to a town, as far out as possible, lake front, lake view, river front river view, near tourist areas, what kind of tourist areas looking for, etc.
I can tell you there are over 300 free camping locations on conservation areas in Missouri, but if you want hookups, none will work.
We would like full hookup but just water and electricity will work if need be. Thanks.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:48 PM   #5

We have stayed at
Lazy River RV resort. Bagnel, Mo. Many full timers. But nice. River, pool, playground.
Cross Creek RV park and Campground. Make sure you get next to lake. Playground.
Damsite at Pomme De Terre. Very nice lake views.
Campbell Point Table Rock COE. Right on the lake
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:57 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
DW ask me to put together a trip to the Ozarks in Missouri. Any RV park recommendations would be appreciated. Happy New Year!

That really is a major research project considering all of the options. You will need to do some Googling, research and personal looks at what it is you want in results. Trying to get information from others is pretty much a crap shoot. I may not like what you like and the same with everyone else here

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:16 PM   #7

We like to go to Table Rock Lake. There are a lot of wonderful campgrounds around the lake but Old Highway 86 and Mill Creek just south of Kimberling City (both COE facilities) are two of our favorites.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
We like to go to Table Rock Lake. There are a lot of wonderful campgrounds around the lake but Old Highway 86 and Mill Creek just south of Kimberling City (both COE facilities) are two of our favorites.
We drove thru the state park in early September. The rumor is someone is picking up the tab and turning the tent sites into a homeless community. 2 tents and 6 people are allowed per site. Also gives them access to the showers and toilets.

Stayed at a conservation (Indian trail) area for the new early antlerless season in early October. Homeless guy was set up when we arrived. We set up an old blind out back with a heater and a bucket because we are not bears. I left early opening morning to hunt. My boy was in the blind and caught the homeless guy snooping around our camp at 5:30 am in the dark and asked him of he was trying to get shot. My boy had to leave early, I cut my weekend short because staying there alone creeped me out.

If this is the future, I may have to resort to key card camping (hotel).
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:17 AM   #9

We go fly fishing at Roaring River SP. the campgrounds look nice tho we haven't stayed there as we have some land just south of there in Arkansas.
Bunch of rv spots by Branson but that is not my thing.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 01:52 PM   #10

this was our fall 2022 trip.
In Branson we stayed at Bull Creek RV Park. It had just opened at the time, very nice, full hookups. In Arkansas we stayed at Beaver RV park, a little city run park a bit outside of Eureka Springs. With a rig you have to go the long way around to get into the campground, but once we parked the trailer we could take out truck over the small bridge (though it was pretty rickety) to go to sightsee. Quiet and secluded, not expensive. Then we stayed at Hot Springs KOA, wanted to get into Gulpha Gorge in the NP but sold out. Not a big fan of the KOA, upper road is very tight and our trailer is only 27ft stem to stern.

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 03:22 PM   #11

Ozarks camping

Riverview RV Park has to be the best place to stay. Level sites, clean bathrooms, and an awesome pool with great river views. I think it's called OZARKS LANDING now. The hosts were very friendly and helpful.
maxdonport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
We would like full hookup but just water and electricity will work if need be. Thanks.
Any particular part of the Ozarks? A pretty big area, especially if yours is a short trip.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:08 PM   #13

I highly recommend Echo Bluff State Park. It’s is in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways. There are so many things you can do and see within 45 minutes or less. I also recommend Johnson’s Shut-ins State Park. Both have excellent accommodations and a lot of things to see and do.

Google searches will provide quite a bit of information. This will provide a lot of information as well: https://mostateparks.com/

Good luck and I hope you enjoy all the beauty the Missouri Ozarks have to offer.
JimmyP1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 03:05 PM   #14

I want to do the Ozarks as well. Laura Ingalls Wilder is buried there. Rocky Ridge in Mansfield. Is that why the wife wants to go?
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ozarks