Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Yellowstone Campgrounds

We are planning a vacation to Yellowstone next August and starting to plan. Does anyone have a favorite campground they like? If so why?

Thanks for your suggestions and information!
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

Check out GRIZZLY RV PARK in West Yellowstone, outstanding park right in town. Walk to many restaurants and shopping.

https://grizzlyrv.com

West Yellowstone is the closest entrance to the park, about a mile. Also recommend using the tours to see the park, Lower and Upper loops. These people know where to go and when to go to see the wildlife, Old Faithful and all the other sites and you don't have to fight the traffic.

https://www.yellowstonevacations.com...m_medium=local
Old 07-18-2017, 05:24 AM   #3

Stay in the park at Fishing Bridge. Close and convenient to lots of attractions in the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
Stay in the park at Fishing Bridge. Close and convenient to lots of attractions in the park.

X2. stayed there many years ago and also recommend it. No hookups so plan accordingly. Had bison grazing in and around the campsite. Also had a grizzely walk thru at mid day. I left an empty cooler outside my camper and it was gone the next am. The note on my windshield directed me to the office with a stern warning that coolers, full or empty had to be stored inside.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
X2. stayed there many years ago and also recommend it. No hookups so plan accordingly. Had bison grazing in and around the campsite. Also had a grizzely walk thru at mid day. I left an empty cooler outside my camper and it was gone the next am. The note on my windshield directed me to the office with a stern warning that coolers, full or empty had to be stored inside.

The Fishing Bridge campground we stayed at had full hookups.

MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
The Fishing Bridge campground we stayed at had full hookups.

Like I said my visit was many years ago and at that time we had a pop up. Today it is hard sides only and full hookups. Another thing to note is that the senior discount pass is not accepted at Fishing Bridge cg. It is accepted at all other Ystone CG's.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #7

Stay Inside the Park

Avoid the commute into the park and stay inside the park. We avoided the 30 minute commute just to that junction.
I enjoyed Madison and there was plenty of wildlife. Many come out when getting close to dusk. I enjoy the fresh air you cannot get in town and the convenience to so many sites. People leave the park before dinner and when you camp inside, the places to see become much less crowded. No hurry to get back for dinner either. I like the peace and quiet first thing in the morning and at the end of the day to go for walks.
Some campgrounds have food and gas nearby while others have nothing more than water. Come prepared for what interests you.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Check out GRIZZLY RV PARK in West Yellowstone, outstanding park right in town. Walk to many restaurants and shopping.

https://grizzlyrv.com

West Yellowstone is the closest entrance to the park, about a mile. Also recommend using the tours to see the park, Lower and Upper loops. These people know where to go and when to go to see the wildlife, Old Faithful and all the other sites and you don't have to fight the traffic.

https://www.yellowstonevacations.com...m_medium=local
This is exactly what we did. Spot on advice.

We used the private tour offered by Alpen Guide. Expensive but completely worth it as the whole family got to enjoy the exclusive tour.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

We stayed at Canyon and Grant Village. Very spacious sites and not close together at all.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...pic32337_2.gif
Chris P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses, I will check them out
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #11

Grumpy, thanks for the recommendations for Yellowstone. We will be going there in late September after visiting Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote