Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #1

Battery Life, Charging Methods

We have been boondocking 100% with our new 2015 Jayco 195RB since August. We're permanently set up on our own property 100 miles from home - no utilities available. That's the way it will stay forever! The battery that came with the unit is a Interstate 24 Dual purpose. I run the Yamaha generator maybe an hour in the morning during breakfast and then 3-4 hours later in the day. We are there weekends only, sometimes 2 weeks apart. The charging shows about 13.6 volts. I have a battery disconnect switch to turn everything off when we're not there.

The first month or so the battery showed about 12.4 volts when we returned after a week. It has been progressively getting lower each week. I suspect I'm not getting a full charge before we leave.

This week we had only 11.8 volts Saturday evening when we got there. Watched a little TV and it dropped to 8 volts. To my surprise, with the tstat set at he lowest seting, and with outside temp at 31 F, the furnace operated like a champ all night. It was still 8 volts in the morning before I fired up the generator.

Sooooo, my questions....
1. If I switch to a deep cycle size 27 battery (not a dual purpose), how much better life will I get?
2. I have a good automatic 3-stage battery charger - would this charge it up quicker than the onboard inverter?
3. If so, can I connect the charger directly to the battery without unhooking it from the trailer? Is it a problem if the 2 chargers are connected at the same time?

gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #2

Sounds like a perfect candidate for solar.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Sounds like a perfect candidate for solar.
I knew someone would say that.....LOL. Our campsite is heavily wooded with tall trees. At best the trailer only sees sunlight a couple hours a day.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #4

I can't answer your questions but do have a suggestion ... install a second battery in parallel.

Also, I've seen advertised, mounted/portable solar cells with long cords, designed to be carried out to a sunny spot (limited of course by the connecting wires).
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #5

Portable solar cell

Heres one: http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Foldabl...e+solar+panels
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #6

A lot of guys including myself have gone to two 6V golf cart batteries wired in series. A good quality (not stock) charger/converter replacement is necessary as well, with smart mode or true 3-stage charging capabilities. This will allow your generator to charge up your batteries to a reasonable level (~90%) in a more realistic time frame, like 4 hours, versus likely over 12 hours with the lousy stock charger/converter unit.

By going to twin 6V batteries your capacity will more than triple. Just be careful to never run them down below about 11.9V or even 12.0V.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

X2 on what SkyBound said.

Go with 6 volt deep cycle batteries in series, look at your stock converter model and contact manufacturer of the converter to determine if it can be upgraded with a plug in module to make it an advanced 3-stage charger.

I would also highly recommend installing a Trimetric battery monitor so you have a better way of monitoring your state of charge other than voltage. A volt meter can give you a false indication on the true state of the batteries. In other words it may show 13.5 volts but you may only be at 70% of amp hour capacity on the battery bank.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
4 6-volt batteries - 440 AH bank
Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

This week we had only 11.8 volts Saturday evening when we got there. Watched a little TV and it dropped to 8 volts. To my surprise, with the tstat set at he lowest seting, and with outside temp at 31 F, the furnace operated like a champ all night. It was still 8 volts in the morning before I fired up the generator.

Sooooo, my questions....
1. If I switch to a deep cycle size 27 battery (not a dual purpose), how much better life will I get?
2. I have a good automatic 3-stage battery charger - would this charge it up quicker than the onboard inverter?
3. If so, can I connect the charger directly to the battery without unhooking it from the trailer? Is it a problem if the 2 chargers are connected at the same time?

You have pretty much killed your battery by letting the voltage drop below 12VDC. 12VDC is 50% of your batteries power. 12.6VDC is a fully charged battery. You are starting your weekend with a battery that will probably need 6 hours of charging at the minimum. There are charts on this site that show you this information. Deep cycle batteries can not survive for any length of time being discharged this low. You also need to learn how to cut your energy usage.

Your current battery will not get you through a weekend, let alone one day, as it is not fully charged when you arrive.

The TT furnace will drain a battery FAST. 3 hours is not enough time to charge your battery, and will not charge your future larger batteries. Do you have LED's in the TT? Only use lights at night? No charging phones off batteries!

Based on your camp site comment, SOLAR is definitely out of the question.

Upgrading to more battery power will be expensive, and if you do not figure out how to properly maintain/charge your batteries, you will be throwing away hard earned $$$. The bigger batteries you purchase will require longer charging time....

Are you running an inverter? If so what size?

Do you keep the battery water level where it should be?

One thing to remember when buying deep cycle batteries, the Ah rating is 100% usage of the battery, which will kill them fast. As my batteries are rated at 260Ah, but since I do not use the batteries below 12VDC, (50%), I actually only have 130Ah available. When you plan your future purchase keep that in mind.

Just my thoughts,

Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #9

x3 on Skybound.

First loose the dual purpose battery, not the right tool for the job. Then get dual cart batteries or at least 2 good 12v deep cycle. Finally run the gen 2 or 3 hours in the am and evening to top off the battery and keep it above the 50% discharge level.

No one should expect to "boondock" using your set up.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
You have pretty much killed your battery by letting the voltage drop below 12VDC. 12VDC is 50% of your batteries power. 12.6VDC is a fully charged battery. You are starting your weekend with a battery that will probably need 6 hours of charging at the minimum. There are charts on this site that show you this information. Deep cycle batteries can not survive for any length of time being discharged this low. You also need to learn how to cut your energy usage.

Your current battery will not get you through a weekend, let alone one day, as it is not fully charged when you arrive.

The TT furnace will drain a battery FAST. 3 hours is not enough time to charge your battery, and will not charge your future larger batteries. Do you have LED's in the TT? Only use lights at night? No charging phones off batteries!

Based on your camp site comment, SOLAR is definitely out of the question.

Upgrading to more battery power will be expensive, and if you do not figure out how to properly maintain/charge your batteries, you will be throwing away hard earned $$$. The bigger batteries you purchase will require longer charging time....

Are you running an inverter? If so what size?

Do you keep the battery water level where it should be?

Just my thoughts,

Don
All the lights are LED - use no more than 1 at a time and then only at night. Never charge phones. The only other usage is a TV, and maybe no more than an hour at night. battery IS properly maintained (water, etc).

The trailer we had before this one had NO power at all, so we have learned to be conservative. Of course,a furnace is a necessity.

The comments about solar have gotten me to rethink it. I COULD put it on a post in a sunnier area. How many hours a day does it need sun to be effective?

What doi you man by inverter? I have the stock unit that came with the trailer. My generator is a Yamaha Inverter 2800.