Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Boondocking/Dispersed camping recommendations in Blue Ridge Mountains

Hey All,

My wife and I used to "dispersed tent camp" in the NC mountains all of the time. It was relatively easy to slip off the beaten path and pack in/out of camp for 2-7 days. We loved the solitude of seeing very few people, if anyone at all during these trips. I am certain it won't be as isolated as tent camping but we'd really like to find a couple of spots to spend some alone time with mother nature.

It seems there are tons of opportunities out west and on the pacific rim. One day we hope to be able to take advantage of those as well when we can commit to multi-week, cross-country trips. In the interim though, we unfortunately can't really seem to find a lot of info on boondocking/dispersed camping in the Blue Ridge mountains (particularly between N.GA & TN) for RV/TT setups. Is anyone familiar with some places you can go and have any experience camping with an RV/TT "in the wild"?

Thanks in advance.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #2

You will find actual boondocking site information fairly scarce. Nobody really wants to list their prized spot on the internet, and be invaded by "everybody and their brother".
Having said that I recommend looking at Google maps of the area you are interested in. The forest rangers can also be a good source of information. Typically, if we are unfamiliar with an area, we stay the first night in a public or private campground, fill/empty tanks, charge batteries, then go out "exploring" that evening. With luck, we pull out first thing in the morning and move to our new spot. If it is an area you really like, consider staying at the pay campground all weekend. Then go explore and mark a bunch of spots on your GPS.
Happy boondocking!

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
You will find actual boondocking site information fairly scarce. Nobody really wants to list their prized spot on the internet, and be invaded by "everybody and their brother".
Having said that I recommend looking at Google maps of the area you are interested in. The forest rangers can also be a good source of information. Typically, if we are unfamiliar with an area, we stay the first night in a public or private campground, fill/empty tanks, charge batteries, then go out "exploring" that evening. With luck, we pull out first thing in the morning and move to our new spot. If it is an area you really like, consider staying at the pay campground all weekend. Then go explore and mark a bunch of spots on your GPS.
Happy boondocking!
Thanks for the insight. To be clear, I don't want GPS coordinates of anyone's favorite spot. I'm more interested in the process. Your response is a great start. I have been checking on Google Maps/Earth and (unfortunately in this case) the area(s) I am referring to are vastly wooded and its hard to make out most roads, much less open areas to camp. I do like the idea of scouting ahead until we find a few options.

Keep 'em coming...

shrp
Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #4

BTT. Anyone else care to chime in on this topic? It would really help a guy out...

shrp
Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Here in Michigan there a numerous National Forest Campgrounds (rustic) that I use for boondocking. Most National Forest CG's in Michigan have vault toilets, but some (very few) have flush toilets. None have hook-ups at the campsites.

Wonder around the following web site, you might find something of interest in your region:

https://www.recreation.gov

I found Cosby Campground in Tennessee .........:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/c...O&parkId=70960

Here's someone's own experience 'roughing it" at Crosby CG:

https://elizamars.wordpress.com/2009...national-park/

Boondocking east of the Mississippi River isn't as plentiful as west of the Mississippi...., so "google" becomes your friend.

Found these:

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/SearchByState/US/GA

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/SearchByState/US/TN

Hope this helps....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #6

As a beginner to boon docking I chose to start with the national forest and blm land as our primary go to locations. PublicLands.org is good resource, but you should use a fairly powerful computer as it is graphic intense. Along with that a good sense of map reading. Love it... love it... love it... still some old school out there.

I visited some national forest ranger offices and picked up some MVUM maps and asked them about dispersed camping. They give us some general locations, but much like above, nothing that is "The Spot". An MVUM map can tell you where vehicles can go and where you can camp in relation to those "dirt" roads. Some MVUMs can be found on the Forests website, but it takes some digging.

Then I either scout it over the winter or just pick out a half dozen locations via google maps with a "regular" campground as a backup should the sites not be available.

It is easier to find out west then I think in the east, but I bet if you search you can find some.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:33 AM   #7

Here are 4 must have resources for finding a camping spot. Free dispersed camping is a tough find in the Blueridge (and east of the Mississippi, as stated), but if available it will be found in one of the sites listed below.

Free Camping

Campendium

Allstays

Hipcamp

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

I boondock in the George Washington Natl Park near a very popular called FLAGPOLE RIDGE. This is about 150 miles away from where I live in King George, Virginia I don't know if I would call it dispersed camping or not... Just me and the bears and the Forest Service Road is about 1/2-mile away from me..

This looks out over the Mountain Range in the WVA direction and i can see at lease 4 to 5 rolls of mtns ridges...

I never asked permission and have not been told I could not setup here with my Tents or my OFF-ROAD POPUP Trailer. Did have a Ranger visit one time - I guess he heard some squeaks and squawks from my Ham radio and had to come look see... We had coffee for about 30 minutes and talked about the scenery there. Also got a discussion about food management as there was known bears in this part of the Natl Forest.

I was on FS85 road and found a tire trail leading off too the edge of the FLAGPOLE RIDGE. I am just far enough away to not hear all of the Boys Scouts, Jeep Clubs, and ATV Clubs all camping around the FLAGPOLE setup in a somewhat camping area with no resources...

Used to go off-road all the time with my Jeep pulling a Utility Trailer with my Tent Camping items and supplies in North Central high country of AZ when we lived in the Phoenix area back in the 70s... Never ran into many other off-road so it was pleasantly quite... Wild pigs (Javelina) were the scary wild animals to me roaming free out there - they ran in packs...

Have been down the Blue Ridge Parkway from VA to TN several times. A great JEEP RUN... Lots of BIKERS on the Parkway that you have to watch out for because of their low profile. Have seem alot Bicycle groups on the Parkway as well. Also when bears are sited the side of the road fills up real quick with cars and people looking... Also when driving the early evenings you really have to watch for wildlife crossing the road especially deer...

There is a CAMPSITE about every 50 miles along the parkway and maybe only three Way-Stations with Gasoline/Restaurants.. Just be sure if you pulling a trailer to not just get off the parkway at any exit you see. Unless they are a major road crossing the road will be winding and steep curves etc. Not fun when pulling a trailer. You probably won't find any services unless it is a major road crossing exit anyway.

The whole trip from VA to TN is around 450 miles so plan on having enough gas on board and won't be a problem. We actually got off the Parkway at Roanoke VA usually to get a few things maybe eat in a restaurant etc and they got back on the parkway to finish the trip...

In the high country there looks to alot of good possible off-road camping places but we never ventured over to them. Have the regular parkway camp grounds every 50 miles is where we stayed. Never expensive for sure... None of these camp grounds had electric available. All had rest rooms and usually a small camp store with things. The ones associated with the Way Station all had a restaurant and gasoline as well as a big camp store....

Speed limit on the parkway max is 45MPH with lots of curves and a few tunnels and even Viaducts (elevated roadway) section...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote