Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

question for those who use loud generators

Have you ever been asked to shut off your generator and if so, were you offended?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Oh my, get out the popcorn.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Oh my, get out the popcorn.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Site Team

You guys are bad!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

Yes, but I just explained that it was a snoring spouse and not a generator.
So I wasn't offended.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

lmao, this is great.

Troutslayer, We have both a loud construction type of generator which we have used out boondocking. Though, when we say boondock, we don't consider a dry campground as boondocking. To us boondocking is out off a dirt road somewhere. So, No, we have never been asked to shut my loud generator down.

However, in a dry campground I was once asked; at 8 O'clock at night, to shut my little inverter generator down (campground had typical rules: All generators cannot be started prior to 8AM and have to be shut down no later than 10PM every day. Campground quiet time mon through thu 10PM, Fri through Sun 11PM).
However, when I was asked to shut it down at 8 O'clock, they said it was an annoying drone over their movie they were trying to watch on a laptop so they couldn't hear the movie that well. I politely pointed out that rules said I could run it till 10; and I still shut it down anyway. Because of us being polite neighbors we were able to talk and joke a bit so I also made the comment about how they were "supposed to be camping, if they wanted to watch a movie they should have stayed home."
To answer your question of whether I was offended? Absolutely not.
Whether I am offended by something is a choice I make. I simply choose not to be offended by anything.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #7

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Does a Ford PSD sitting at idle with the trailer plugged in count as a noisy generator?
Old 12-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Does a Ford PSD sitting at idle with the trailer plugged in count as a noisy generator?
If its a Ford it might not start, therefore no noise. Wow, gonna need a bunch of popcorn for this thread. And a cold one. And its New Year' s Eve. Happy New Year.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
If its a Ford it might not start, therefore no noise. Wow, gonna need a bunch of popcorn for this thread. And a cold one. And its New Year' s Eve. Happy New Year.
Could be a Dodge with a CTD. They will start and they're just as noisy, they just vibrate and shake the ground more.
Order another round. Happy New Year from Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
popcorn meme.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

Is it possible to ask anyone to stop anything they are doing without most people getting offended?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
lmao, this is great.
(snip)
To answer your question of whether I was offended? Absolutely not.
Whether I am offended by something is a choice I make. I simply choose not to be offended by anything.
I couldn't agree more.
All the people that are offended by everything is just something they choose to do to themselves.

Part of the culture of "everybody's a victim" these days.
I hope you have a great 2017!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
I couldn't agree more.
All the people that are offended by everything is just something they choose to do to themselves.

Part of the culture of "everybody's a victim" these days.
I hope you have a great 2017!
Could not agree more. If you get offended, it is because you choose to be offended! Love it!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #14

I have a gen set for my trailer.
I was running it one time at a campsite at 1:30 in the afternoon. It is a 3000 watt unit and fairly loud.
A lady walked over to our campsites and asked if I would mind shutting it down. I was just charging my batteries.
I asked her if it bothered her and she said no....but her husband worked a graveyard shift...midnight to 8 am and was trying to sleep....I said no problem and shut it down.
I saw him later around 6 pm when he was taking his daughter fishing.
I told him I was sorry for running the gen set as I did not know he was sleeping....he said...he really appreciated my cooperation.
I told them I hoped she caught a bigger fish than he did....
So no I was in no way offended.
And she didn't catch a bigger fish but she did catch more..

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:03 AM   #15

We used our generator for the 1st 2 seasons far enough away from others to care. Then last summer we had one interesting trip. We didn't leave home until the last minute. Got to the ORV park in the dirt road National Forest. Found a not so great spot. Neighbors across the creek, and willows/pine trees surrounding,they were partying (radio crystal clear and razor revving up). We hooked up the generator and crashed for the night. Next morning we turn off the generator and one guy starts yelling "bout damn time." So I walk over to the creek and apologize, explaining we use it for Cpap. Well that entire day he hackles us. Then later drives into our area doing cookies, burnout in his razor. Guess that idiot didn't know this ORV spot to well. The park ranger watched this on his drive through. Came up to Razor, then approached us. I explained while Razor, drunk driver, took off. Sadly the County Sheriff wasn't as nice to Mr. Razor. Karma?????

Dispersed Camping Colville National Forest. Dirt bikes and four wheelers getting good and muddy.
Farman Blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:51 AM   #16

I was asked to turn my music down at 2:00 in the afternoon. I didn't even think it was that loud (it really wasn't). Maybe it was the heavy metal genre I was listening to! LOL!
The guy was a couple of sites down and was setting up. I guess his DW was having trouble hearing him as he was backing into the site. I apologized and turned it down. I was not offended in the least.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #17

I see it both ways. We are a messed up "poor me" culture, but we are also a culture that has lost its way with civility and care for the "other." I was raised in a "Mayberry" world that is gone. Even as "working class" kids, we were disciplined and required to demonstrate courtesy and manners with others at all times. "Me first" was not an option, unless you wanted firm correction. I am totally about personal accountability, but I also believe in, have a constant awareness of, and practice consideration for others. I have two ears that were stretched to double their innate size, a rear-end with lots of painful memories, and a Dial Soap mouth that mark my formative days when my father, mother, teachers, and adults taught me that the world does not revolve around me.

So don't be a baby, but also put others before yourself. We are in desperate need of respect and civility and personal accountability.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #18

Guess we will have to use Washinton, DC as model
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
...... I have two ears that were stretched to double their innate size, a rear-end with lots of painful memories, and a Dial Soap mouth that mark my formative days when my father, mother, teachers, and adults taught me that the world does not revolve around me.
Back then it was called "Building Character", now it is called "Child Abuse"... Go figure

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Back then it was called "Building Character", now it is called "Child Abuse"... Go figure

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Funny you say that. As a junior high teacher, I tell my students all of the time that my efforts to firmly (strict) hold them accountable are done out of love, hoping to help shape them into young men and women of dignity, resourcefulness, and accountability. I know it's a tough sell with a twelve year old, but we have to do it if we want them to have excellent character. They know that I love the fire out of them, but they also know that I mean business. Kids rise when we hold the bar high and stand beneath them pushing them to it. I see so many adults walking away from the hard work of engaging kids and holding them to high standards; that's because it is exhausting. And I stay exhausted as I hold them to high marks academically, socially, and personally.

Anyway, sorry to get off on that. Matters of civility and individual character are really huge for me. It's the stone I grind, where I give what I have all year to young people. We are losing a lot of them. As much as I try to run away from it at times, I am called to fight for them and show them a better way that is increasingly foreign.

And now back to CG etiquette . . .
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote