Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2023, 05:37 AM   #1

110 outlets don't work on battery?

Hi All,

2006 Jayco Jayflight. This is my girlfriend's camper. I've only ever owned a motorhome in the past. As a test, yesterday I unplugged the shore connection so we were only on battery. I noticed the time on the microwave went out and a space heater we had running stopped. I was trying to figure out if the inverter in the camper would power 110 when on battery and it appears that it does not.

Checking with you guys...is that normal for the 110 to not work on battery? I assume so since so many people have generators. I only have one battery so far but I can add a second one if necessary.

Anyone have a recommendation for a budget invertor generator that would allow the A/C to run in the summer? Someone mentioned the Harbor Freight Predator.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...ogy-59137.html
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:38 AM   #2

I too have a motorhome, a 2016. In mine, the inverter only powers ONE outlet and that's the one behind the main TV. It's only a 1000 watt inverter, so no chance of powering a microwave.

Others have said that their motorhomes have a few outlets that are powered by the inverter.

On mine the Xantrex Inverter Control panel is on the main panel. By the other switches.

As for powering the AC, I've got a little experience. I do have the HF Predator 3500 and it'll power the AC and almost all of the coach as well as the Onan 4000. Almost.

But it's heavy, at 100#s. And it's noisy. It's quiet for a 3500 generator, but still too noisy for parking with other boondockers.

I had the chance to grab the Ryobi 2300 for $300 so I did. It'll power the microwave and not much else. It won't power my 15K BTU AC unit.

There are reports of people powering their ACs with the Honda 2000, but they've installed Soft Start boards on the AC units.

IMO - it can be done. It's just going to be some money outlay.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I too have a motorhome, a 2016. In mine, the inverter only powers ONE outlet and that's the one behind the main TV. It's only a 1000 watt inverter, so no chance of powering a microwave.
What he said^^^^If you want to run the micro as well it will take at least 4 batteries and a 1800 watt or bigger Inverter. That's what came in our 08 SENECA and it ran 2 TV's and the Micro and that was it.

A geny is your best bet and I'm sure other's will chime in as to what they have that carries the necessary load.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:07 AM   #4

What model # is your GF's MH? Usually there is a model # next to the door.

If you have an invertor the above is typically correct, especially with the older MHs. Pending on the tv placement, it may also have a special outlet that will not work while driving. This can be bypassed, by removing the outlet, and cutting and capping the purple wire.

As for a genny, I have heard good things about Predictor. I purchased a Champion dual fuel, price was reasonable and so far I have been very happy with it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post
Hi All,

2006 Jayco Jayflight. This is my girlfriend's camper. I've only ever owned a motorhome in the past. As a test, yesterday I unplugged the shore connection so we were only on battery. I noticed the time on the microwave went out and a space heater we had running stopped. I was trying to figure out if the inverter in the camper would power 110 when on battery and it appears that it does not.

Checking with you guys...is that normal for the 110 to not work on battery? I assume so since so many people have generators. I only have one battery so far but I can add a second one if necessary.

Anyone have a recommendation for a budget invertor generator that would allow the A/C to run in the summer? Someone mentioned the Harbor Freight Predator.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...ogy-59137.html
Be sure and get a decent Genny, not so e cheap Construction Genny or everyone within half a mile will lunch you...lol

HF are good, especially for the $$$$, and the 3500w is quiet

Just remember, no Genny on after 10pm pretty much everywhere on earth

Have fun with her Trailer
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote