Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #1

2011 jayco skylark Cool Cat - watts drawn

Does anyone have an owner manual for the Cool Cat Heat pump that came, maybe as an option, on a 2011 Jayco Skylark TT? Wondering what startup watts and running watts it needs. The Jayco manual gives basic information but since I got this TT used it did not come with a manual for the Cool Cat.

I am trying to learn what watts things in my TT draw should I ever boondock one day since I happen to have a generator which is a Westinghouse iGen2500 (2500 watt starting power and 2000 watt running power).

So far, maybe...
  • I have learned it might take 1000 watts generator power to charge the rv battery (I have simply a 24DP, 405CCA battery thinking smaller when what my unit calls for)
  • I should turn the fridge to propane
  • I should turn off the breaker for the rv converter (else it would try to use the generator power to power the fridge which might draw another 500 watts
Never boondocked before, just wanted to learn what is what in case I do one time. Better than maybe, just flipping switches to see what happens
Thank you in advance
skylimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #2

Power consumption - Cooling mode (ISO 5151) 1330 W that equals 11 amps
Power consumption - Heat pump (ISO 5151) - Display 1048 W
Old 04-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #3

Thank you Grumpy
Old 04-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylimit View Post
So far, maybe...

I should turn the fridge to propane
Bear in mind that the fridge needs 12 volt power for the controls even on propane.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Bear in mind that the fridge needs 12 volt power for the controls even on propane.
Thank you, good to know.

I figure this means if the TT was not plugged into Shore power then the TT battery would need to be charged up enough to send power to the Fridge for the propane ‘switch if you will’ to display and function. Guessing not much power but still power just the same. Thought I read using propane to operate that small fridge, 5 cubic foot, does not burn too much propane.

Guessing to run fridge with ‘power’ one would have to be connected to Shore power else the TT power cord plugged into the generator (which I will need to purchase a 30amp plug to 120 volt plug as the generator only has two 120 volt plug outlets on it).

If using a generator and no Shore power then the TT battery would have to, of course, be able to accept a charge then send power from the TT battery to the fridge if I set fridge to ‘ac’ if that is the term to use.

It all is a bit muddy for me to follow this stuff. Best I understand Shore power sends 120 volt AC power to the TT then the TT converter changes that power to 12 volt DC power which supplies power to the electrical TT plugs, Cool Cat ac/heartier, and the Fridge (both for propane or electrical).

My generator, I learned, has an inverter which means it creates 120(?) volt AC power then it inverts it to 12 volt DC power to ensure it is a smooth power feed without spikes which could harm electrical equipment like cell phones and such.

Anyway, above...maybe somewhat wrong..see how I think things function.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #6

I own a 2011 Skylark. We bought it new. There was no operator manual for the heat pump except for the Dometic thermostat book. Here are some pages that are germaine to the heat operation. The A/C operation is the same as any other A/C unit.
Attached Thumbnails
20210428_194130.jpg   20210428_194234.jpg   20210428_194241.jpg   20210428_194302.jpg   20210428_194313.jpg  

Old 04-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylimit View Post
Thank you, good to know.

I figure this means if the TT was not plugged into Shore power then the TT battery would need to be charged up enough to send power to the Fridge for the propane ‘switch if you will’ to display and function. Guessing not much power but still power just the same. Thought I read using propane to operate that small fridge, 5 cubic foot, does not burn too much propane.

Guessing to run fridge with ‘power’ one would have to be connected to Shore power else the TT power cord plugged into the generator (which I will need to purchase a 30amp plug to 120 volt plug as the generator only has two 120 volt plug outlets on it).

If using a generator and no Shore power then the TT battery would have to, of course, be able to accept a charge then send power from the TT battery to the fridge if I set fridge to ‘ac’ if that is the term to use.

It all is a bit muddy for me to follow this stuff. Best I understand Shore power sends 120 volt AC power to the TT then the TT converter changes that power to 12 volt DC power which supplies power to the electrical TT plugs, Cool Cat ac/heartier, and the Fridge (both for propane or electrical).

My generator, I learned, has an inverter which means it creates 120(?) volt AC power then it inverts it to 12 volt DC power to ensure it is a smooth power feed without spikes which could harm electrical equipment like cell phones and such.

Anyway, above...maybe somewhat wrong..see how I think things function.
The fridge does not use much propane. Just be sure to purge the air from your propane lines by running the stove for a short time before you try operating the water heater or fridge. You will need to do this each time you let the trailer set for a week or more with no use. For safety I always shut off the propane when the camper is not in use.

All of the three prong outlets in your trailer are 120 volt and require shore power or a generator. The only 12 volt outlet that came standard was the one on the antenna amplifier.