Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #1

30a shore power cord

I have seen comments about laying out the cord completely to reduce over heating. How many follow this practice. No knowledge of electricity just seems that is the cord over heated it would trip a breaker..help me understand this.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #2

Never laid out the cord completely. Before I changed over to a removal power cord I pulled the cord all the way out of camper just cause I could. Now, my cord is dropped on the ground, plugged Into camper an plugged into power. If its half ass coiled or half ass stretched out dont care. No fire, no heat, no nothing. Cords will not build heat from electricity unless there is an issue with the power outlet or unit receiving the power.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

P.S.
When I used to pull out the cord from camper I didn't lay it out either. Again half ass coiled, half ass not coiled. Just how it hit the ground
Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Never laid out the cord completely. Before I changed over to a removal power cord I pulled the cord all the way out of camper just cause I could. Now, my cord is dropped on the ground, plugged Into camper an plugged into power. If its half ass coiled or half ass stretched out dont care. No fire, no heat, no nothing. Cords will not build heat from electricity unless there is an issue with the power outlet or unit receiving the power.

That's not actually true. If your using near the max power, it will create heat. And if the cord is coiled it can't dissipate the heat. In extreme cases you can melt the coating on the cord. Best practice is to pull it out so as to mitigate the potential for heat build up. It's the same principle as to why they limit the number of wires in a given size metal conduit.

That being said, it's not typical, but it does happen, especially in warmer weather when the outside temp is high plus the AC is pulling max for long periods of time.

The breaker will trip only when it pulls more power than the breaker is built for, typically the pedestal breaker will pop before the RV breaker, just from use and wear and tear. Again it is heat that trips the breaker, similar to heat that melts the filament in a fuse. I told the story before, but one campground I worked at, I had to actually ice down the old breakers on an extremely hot day when everyone returned from the lake and kicked the AC's on. Combination of fuse panel in direct sun, behind the fuse panels were all the compressors for the freezers in the store, and, the campground was over 50 years old. We got by the hour or so when it started to cool down and the sun was low behind trees and the breakers quit tripping.

Heat build up was the culprit.

Just as easy to pull most of the cord out, and let it lay under the RV, allowing the heat to dissipate

Happy Camping.. We leave this weekend heading East this year.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

Our cord is stored in its own storage compartment, all 35 feet of it so i do not want to pull it all out each time i only need 10 ft to connect to shore power. After reading about possible over heating in enclosed storage area itwanted some comments...thanks
Old 05-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

Thanks, in the last 5 yrs we maybe used the a/c 6 times for short periods, so we should be good not removing the cord completely from its storage compartment in our 2019 class c. We do not tow a toad so move frequently for site seeing, beach and shopping.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Thanks, in the last 5 yrs we maybe used the a/c 6 times for short periods, so we should be good not removing the cord completely from its storage compartment in our 2019 class c. We do not tow a toad so move frequently for site seeing, beach and shopping.
I have to laugh when someone asks a question and they don't like the correct answer so they continue to do what they have been doing when its not safe.
Wags999 is right on with his answer, always pull the cord all the way out.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

There are two issues being discussed as one.

If a cord is carrying more power than it is rated for it can get hot. But your RV cord should be rated to carry all the power your AC or other electric demand without overheating. If you ever notice a hot plug it is probably due to a bad outlet. If your power cord is overheating, you have too much demand.

Coiled power cords can make a magnetic field and there is the possibility of causing heat due to that. But it is really unlikely with the jumbled coil when you push the cable into the cubby of most RVs.

This is not my worry compared to a lot of other things. I have never felt any warmth on any of my RVs over 45 years.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

If a cord is carrying more power than it is rated for it can get hot. But your RV cord should be rated to carry all the power your AC or other electric demand without overheating. If you ever notice a hot plug it is probably due to a bad outlet. If your power cord is overheating, you have too much demand.

Coiled power cords can make a magnetic field and there is the possibility of causing heat due to that. But it is really unlikely with the jumbled coil when you push the cable into the cubby of most RVs.

This is not my worry compared to a lot of other things. I have never felt any warmth on any of my RVs over 45 years.
This place is starting to sound like Facebook with all the bad advise. Read the National Electrical Code.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:

From what you have said, I would assume you would find it okay to run extension cords under rugs etc. Yes your cord is rated to carry the power your RV needs.. BUT... it has to be in open air to allow heat to dissipate. Same as in conduit, even metal conduit, you can only run a certain number of wires, where the power company can run much more power on their overhead wires BECAUSE they are in free air...and heat can dissipate. Do what you want, but your not following best practices or common sense. Yes cords even on a single appliance will heat up...and if you coil them in an enclosed environment your asking for trouble.

There is no "cord patrol" so use your free will to do whatever you want, because, i've never had an issue before...until you do.

Happy Camping... i've got an RV to get ready to leave !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:

This is what Jayco says in the Jay Flight Owner's Manual.

"The power cord must be fully extended when in use and not left coiled in the electrical compartment or on the ground. If the power cord is left coiled, it may potentially create enough heat to melt its protective casing."

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
This is what Jayco says in the Jay Flight Owner's Manual.

"The power cord must be fully extended when in use and not left coiled in the electrical compartment or on the ground. If the power cord is left coiled, it may potentially create enough heat to melt its protective casing."
The best advise! I may not always follow it (since I monitor my electrical needs - less in cooler weather) but still the best advise.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:27 AM   #13

Having 25'-30' of cable jammed in a small storage compartment is why I changed my '18 Redhawk to an external connected marine grade plug in. It allows me to have the entire length of cable connected and spread out under the rig. I HATED having to pull the entire length out of that small hole each time I had to hook up, never mind getting it back in there!
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:09 AM   #14

Hi, i would be very interested in pictures of how you did it. We have a 2019 22j and it is some pain in *#@ especially in cool weather.. I am not electric savy so would have my electrician do it....love our unit, happy trails
Old 05-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #15

It's very easy. Took me about 30 minutesClick image for larger version

Name:	20190412_175557.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	49548Click image for larger version

Name:	20190412_183527.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	49549Click image for larger version

Name:	20190412_191355.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	49550
Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #16

I ordered this kit from Amazon and installed the connector on the door of the power compartment. That way if I screwed up, I'd only have to replace a door.

I also installed my surge protector in there while I was doing this. Makes life so much easier!
Attached Thumbnails
0510190839.jpg  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #17

Thinking of doing this myself. Where did you get the yellow plugged cord you have plugged into the outlet? Is that something you bought or did you make it? Can't seem to figure out how to set up the cord from the tt outlet to the shore outlet??
Thanks, Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #18

I bought it all from Amazon an it all shipped together.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
I have seen comments about laying out the cord completely to reduce over heating. How many follow this practice. No knowledge of electricity just seems that is the cord over heated it would trip a breaker..help me understand this.
Your question may be answered by further understanding the conductance vs the resistance. Feel the difference in the wrapped insulator; on a cool Spring/fall 50-60 degree day in the shade, then on a hot summer 90-100+ in the sun day. Marginal? I would say very much a difference. This difference will dramatically change the characteristics of ohms law, especially when running 2ACs, a microwave, and the DWs hairdryer (heavy loads). To put it simply, a loose connection on the plug at your power pole or RV could burn the contacts.

I normally use the 50amp plugin if available (a visual inspection will usually show that the 30amp plug in worn more than the 50amp. So I use a increased adapter (Dog bone). I carry several adapters. Some will also say that 50amp is more stable.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegray View Post
Thinking of doing this myself. Where did you get the yellow plugged cord you have plugged into the outlet? Is that something you bought or did you make it? Can't seem to figure out how to set up the cord from the tt outlet to the shore outlet??
Thanks, Mike
Kit from Amazon should have everything you'd need to convert your existing power cord to this version.