Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
AHW

30amp w/ 2 ACs

Good morning,

We will be picking up our new Redhawk on Saturday. It has 2 ACs w/ 30 amp service. I imagine the "power management system" the option said would not allow both ACs to start at the same time and would manage when they start/stop to ensure enough power. My questions. Does the power management system force one not to run on the 30amp system? Like cycle between front and back but not have both running at the same time? What would be the point of the 2nd AC then if they both can't run at the same time to efficiently cool?

What else can you run while the ACs are on? Microwave? Watch television? What about the water heater and fridge on electric? I'm coming from a diesel pusher w/ 50 amp that I could run anything and everything at once but that won't be the case on this one. Just want to know what I can do.

Andrew
AHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #2

Can't answer your question but, you need to install SoftStart's on your AC's.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
RPR

Both will operate on 30 amp service. Max draw is when they first start. When we need both we turn one on, wait a few minutes then turn the other on. The output ducts are enter connected so air flows out all the vents with one or two ACs on. The power management system is programmed to turn off power to one compressor if needed when microwave is turned on. The fan still runs. You should have gotten info on the system with all the manuals that come with a new unit. It explains how the system works. Priorities programmed in etc. Also you may see a chart showing amp draw for each appliance, AC, water heater etc. These are the max draw. We have had our Class C 31DS new since 2018 and have had no issues. We know it’s limitations and let the power management system do it’s job.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:43 AM   #4

Sorta like Green Acres, Huh?
You oldies will get that.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
RPR

I was still feeling young at 69 till you said that. Lol.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
AHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Both will operate on 30 amp service. Max draw is when they first start. When we need both we turn one on, wait a few minutes then turn the other on. The output ducts are enter connected so air flows out all the vents with one or two ACs on. The power management system is programmed to turn off power to one compressor if needed when microwave is turned on. The fan still runs. You should have gotten info on the system with all the manuals that come with a new unit. It explains how the system works. Priorities programmed in etc. Also you may see a chart showing amp draw for each appliance, AC, water heater etc. These are the max draw. We have had our Class C 31DS new since 2018 and have had no issues. We know it’s limitations and let the power management system do it’s job.
Gotcha. Thank you. I wanted to make sure the power management system would do it's job when it's I cycle other electronic devices.

Andrew
AHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
Site Team

It will as long as you don't draw over 30a.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #8

Yes you can run two ACs. The power management system, monitors what power draws you have. It then manages cycling items like the AC on/off as needed so your 30 amp shore power can meet your immediate needs such as a microwave.

For example, AC's have a huge in rush of power when it is started. The system will stage the starts of the two ACs as needed. As I recall the microwave is independently monitored (high current device) and so is the rest of the outlets are monitored together as a system.

The softstart that TWP notes above, is an isolated island power management device for the AC. A normal AC, when told to turn on, starts everything at once. It has a huge inrush of power. If you have softstart on the AC. It first starts up the fan motor, then moments later starts the compressor, reducing your peak inrush. Your power management system is working similarly. It is monitoring what you need, and starts/stops the ACs as needed. If you start the microwave, it will shut down the AC compressor(s) (lower priority item), so the microwave can run. Normally you will not notice a temperature change in the coach as you typically are running the microwave for short periods of time. Once the microwave is done, the system engages the AC.

You will have a learning curve, as things like hair driers, electric coffee pots, and so forth can still put you over the 30 amp limit.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #9

my water heater control board burned out when I left electric on with an AC on. I've also popped a breaker using microwave and forgetting AC. Mine has the power mgmt, perhaps its never worked right.. I just try to remember to turn temp warmer or turn them off (ACs) or turn them off when using Microwave, water heater (electric) or high amp device like air heater, hair dryer.

I use 20 amps constant with both ACs running. Water heater uses about 15, microwave I believe was 10-12, coffee maker (keurig type) uses 8. Just about everything else is 3 amps or less. Outside those 4 things (AC, water heater electric, hair dryer, coffee machine) you can run just about everything at once.

As mentioned with ACs, just start one, give it a min and then start the other. I've never had an issue with them both on but not running and then try to start simultaneously.