Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #11

Lots of great help. Thank you!
I did price them and figured I would get one if enough people said they use/like them. I guess for the $20 it is well worth it.

Thanks again and Happy Camping!!

Old 01-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
If you don't have an EMS (Electrical Management System) you may want to look into one. It will protect your RV from over/under voltage, surges, open neutral, etc. Progressive Industries makes one of the best.
I guess this brings up another questions. Since I don't currently have an EMS and the couple I have looked at are either 50 or 30 amp, not dual, which way would be better? Meaning, if only 50amp is available and I buy a 50 I can't use it with the 30 amp service, right? Or I guess I could buy an adapter that goes from 30 to 50 then the dog bone to go back to 30, right?

Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #13

I would match the EMS to the rating of your camper - in your case the 30amp model. If only 50amp is available then you'll connect 50/30 dog bone to EMS, EMS to camper. Otherwise it's just Pedestal to EMS, EMS to camper.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Yes you can use a dog bone adapter. It doesn't do anything as to dropping amperage down, it's not necessary. Your RV has a 30 amp breaker which will not allow you to pull more power than that.

IF you don't have an EMS (Electrical Management System) you may want to look into one. It will protect your RV from over/under voltage, surges, open neutral, etc. Progressive Industries makes one of the best.

As to your question regarding 30 amp receptacles, many campgrounds do have 50, 30 and 20 at the post, but, many just put in 50 amp, knowing if you only need a 30 you can use an adapter.

Enjoy your Stay.

x3
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #15

Thank you to everyone for the input.

I purchased a 30A Progressive Industries EMS. I did compare it to a couple of others and for the price and warranty it did seem to be the right way to go. I bought a dog bone that is about 12" long but think I am going to swap it out for just the adapter because the extra length appears that it will make the EMS lay on the ground. Any recommendations for locking it to the post?

We also happened upon a great little stand alone ice maker. Makes about 26lbs per day - way better than trying to keep a cooler full of clean ice that always seems to get stuff put in it and that stuff always has dirt on it.

Now I just need the weather to get out of the 20-30 range so I can go have some relaxing fun!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #16

I have had one for about 3-4 years. I could have used it twice before I had one. And I have used it twice since I go it. The last time I used it, the 30 amp outlet had a bad ground.

Second time I could have used it, the outlet was in poor condition, had to fiddle with the outlet for a an hour before I got power to the TT. That was when I decided to buy the dogbone.

I have one similar to what Norty posted. I do not use it often, but it is nice to have when you need it.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Thank you to everyone for the input.

I purchased a 30A Progressive Industries EMS. I did compare it to a couple of others and for the price and warranty it did seem to be the right way to go. I bought a dog bone that is about 12" long but think I am going to swap it out for just the adapter because the extra length appears that it will make the EMS lay on the ground. Any recommendations for locking it to the post?

We also happened upon a great little stand alone ice maker. Makes about 26lbs per day - way better than trying to keep a cooler full of clean ice that always seems to get stuff put in it and that stuff always has dirt on it.

Now I just need the weather to get out of the 20-30 range so I can go have some relaxing fun!!!

they make a small "box" like device that locks and doesn't allow the RV plug to be detached from the portable EMS. Works well to keep honest people honest. Most pedestals you can put a small lock on them, not allowing the EMS to be removed also.

I just put in a hard wired EMS mainly because working at campgrounds I like to keep tabs on the voltage when im "home".
Old 01-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #18

We have on of these Locking & Lockout Devices | Locks-Cables & Chains | Master Lock® Python™ Adjustable Locking Cable | B774511 - GlobalIndustrial.com to go through the metal tab on the EMS, and around the pedestal. Didn't buy from here, just using the description. I think we got it at Wallyworld.
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #19

Thanks again!!!