Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #21

When I installed the soft start capacitor in my ac I was unaware of the Micro-Air soft start. My capacitor works OK but I probably would have bought Micro-Air and gone that route.
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #22

Since I already have 2 Honda EU2000i's generators, I'll probably keep the $300 Micro-Air money in my pocket. However if one of those two gennys croaked, I'd probably spend the Micro-Air money in an effort to not have to replace the crapped out Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post

However, for those who need a 10, 20, or 30 amp reduction in inrush current for success, then the Micro-Air is your ONLY option---unless you want to purchase a 2nd generator. For these folks the $250-$300 cost of the Micro-Air is worth every penny. MUCH cheaper than purchasing another generator! Not to mention the significantly reduced wear and tear (load) on the generator everytime the compressor starts with the Micro-Air in circuit. The start cap does very little in this regard.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #23

The whole micro-aire thing has left me with many questions and just as many doubts. For one, if this relatively simple device can revolution the way heavy drawl devices use power at start up, why don't the AC manufacturers incorporate them in their units or at least offer them as upgrade? Another is the cost [$300+] and you still have to install it yourself? All of this is to trick the AC unit into starting with an otherwise underpowered power source. Regardless the AC is going to pretty much cause the genny to run on full power all or most of the time. I'm also wondering what Honda and Yamaha are saying about any adverse effects the microair might have on their gens.

I grew up in the era of devices that would triple the MPG of your car or allow you to tow with an underpowered engine. No internet then but they were all over the car mags etc. Rumor was that the car manufacturers and Oil companies bought them up and buried them to protect their product sales.

My last question is, are you ahead or behind if your single H or Y 2000 craps out a few years early because it was used to power the AC for most of the camping seasons forcing you to purchase another genny?

I found myself owning just one 2000 after including #2 when I sold our houseboat. Every time I read one of the many threads about what it takes to run the AC on your RV, I think briefly about buying another one. These devices also seem to catch my attention, but each time all I hear are the almost speechless comments by a new convert or some video that would probably link back to the manufacturer if you looked hard enough.

I'm not convinced.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
The whole micro-aire thing has left me with many questions and just as many doubts.
I installed a Micro-Air on my Coleman A/C last weekend.

Running on generator, it's about starting current, not running current. Any quality 2000W generator can easily supply the 13-14 amps that air conditioners require to run (2000w / 120v = 16.6A). Both the Honda and the Yamaha can handle that load in ECO mode. No danger to your generator.

Great explanation by another Jayco owner here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post614603

Let me address two issues that you bring up:

1. Why don't A/c suppliers include it?

Because you don't need it if you are running on shore power, which is what probably 98% of RVers do. Adding a hundred dollars (guessing at the high-volume price of the Micro-air $158 OEM board) of cost would make the A/C supplier noncompetitive and only benefit 2% of customers. What manufacturer would rationally do that???

2. If it is so simple, why charge so much?

It's small, but ain't simple. It is a microprocessor controlled device that "learns" the requirements of each individual installation - that is why it can be used on A/C units up to 30,000 BTU.

I did micro-controller development in a previous life. I opened up the unit and looked at the circuit board before installation. The design is well done.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #25

Quote:
The whole micro-aire thing has left me with many questions and just as many doubts . . .

I'm not convinced.
Well, I don't blame you for being skeptical. I will say the Micro-Air is the real deal. It really does perform as advertised---with no gotchas other than the price and installation. If you've ever had the opportunity to personally use an inrush current capable clamp-on ammeter to witness the dramatic reduction in inrush current a Micro-Air provides---it's a very convincing observation to make.

As for your concern about any adverse effects on the generator, I assure you Honda and Yamaha will tell you it reduces the strain on the generator during compressor start-up big-time. When you have the opportunity to reduce the inrush current load on a generator, from 50-60 amps to 15-25 amps, it's a win-win situation for the generator. If your generator could speak, it would breath a sigh of relief, and say 'thank you'--lol!

If there's any caveat, it may be the long-term effects on an RV a/c unit's compressor. The Micro-Air has been for sale/in use for a few years. If there are any negative effects, it certainly can't be too dramatic. Otherwise, we would have already started hearing feedback about reduced cooling or failures. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a single report of decreased a/c performance to date that can be attributed to a Micro-Air installation.

If you have concerns about the Micro-Air, and don't mind purchasing larger, more costly generators just to accommodate less than a second of increased (inrush) current, then that's absolutely your choice to make.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
1. Why don't A/c suppliers include it?

Because you don't need it if you are running on shore power, which is what probably 98% of RVers do. Adding a hundred dollars (guessing at the high-volume price of the Micro-air $158 OEM board) of cost would make the A/C supplier noncompetitive and only benefit 2% of customers. What manufacturer would rationally do that???

Why wouldn't one manufacturer make this an option as a competitive advantage for their RV line? My guess is far more than 2% of the customers would opt for the option and many considering other brands would be attracted to the one that offered the upgrade.

I read the info and carefully watched the installation video several times. My conclusion is that it is well beyond my paygrade and I would end up having to take it to a service center to fix whatever I had screwed up.

Make it an option on a new RV or bring down the price so paying someone to do the install added to the purchase wouldn't get you over half way to a 2nd genny.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #27

You do make a good point about making it optional. It is some what surprising that a RV manufacturer doesn't come up with that option. I would think it would be a possibly great selling point.

Knowing what I know now, I would have liked to have had that option when I bought last year.

Quote:
Why wouldn't one manufacturer make this an option as a competitive advantage for their RV line? My guess is far more than 2% of the customers would opt for the option and many considering other brands would be attracted to the one that offered the upgrade.

I read the info and carefully watched the installation video several times. My conclusion is that it is well beyond my paygrade and I would end up having to take it to a service center to fix whatever I had screwed up.

Make it an option on a new RV or bring down the price so paying someone to do the install added to the purchase wouldn't get you over half way to a 2nd genny.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote