Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #1

Angel Fire on fire

We have a month planned at Angel Fire RV Resort in Angel Fire NM for the month of August. There are raging wild fires nearby and the town’s air quality is already being affected. There are already road closures through the ajoining towns of Eagles Nest and Ute.

We passed through two years ago and the park and surrounding areas are beautiful. I pray for the town’s people and hope all is well not just for our stay but for the town and area as well.

The chamber of commerce told me they haven’t had a fire in about 20 years so there is a lot of fuel. Sounds like this will be a busy fire season out west, especially in the places we like to go
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #2

Mark we had reservations for Angel Fire Resort RV Park the last week of this month and fiirst week of July.

I called and canceled. Talked to some people familiar with this area. It is extremely dry and all National Forest access has been closed or severely limited.

We were concerned about the roads from Springer to Angel Fire. Travels right through the Fire area. Unless we wanted to go around to sSante Fe and come in through Taos Springer is the only way from the east that is RV friendly.

Because we had reservations for over the 4th she said they had a guy wanting our spot so she refunded our deposit and hoped we would consider coming later which I assured her we would.

We have another trip planned for late August first of September for Creede Colorado. There are fires in the Durango Silverton area but that is over the mountain ridge from Creede so hoping we can make that trip.

The 4 Corners area has been extremely dry and dangerous for the last couple years. No snow pack to help. They need some rains!

Safe travels and hope they get these fires under control soon. Such a beautiful area and we love going there.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #3

Well that’s just awesome! Before Angel Fire I have 5 days in Silverton. I better see if I can get my old fire gear back. LOL

I wont be out there until the start of August, I am hoping that the fires and smoke are gone by then.

Safe travels to you as well. Maybe we will cross paths along the way..
Old 06-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about the fires and the need to change your plans. It's impossible to predict how the fires are going to play out so cancelling early and getting a full refund is probably the best way to do.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Sorry to hear about the fires and the need to change your plans. It's impossible to predict how the fires are going to play out so cancelling early and getting a full refund is probably the best way to do.
I am still 7 weeks out, so I may wait a while before I cancel.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #6

I was there on a motorcycle trip Memorial Weekend. We ride 64 between Cimmaron and Eagle's Nest almost every trip, its a great road. The fires burned about 37k acres around Ute Park. Philmont lost like 14 outbuildings. Some of the video you can find online are pretty scary.
Deeger is offline   Reply With Quote